Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/13/2012, 01:15 PM   #1
quiksilverchin
Registered Member

What is the best method and food for feeding mushrooms?

I have tried target feeding my shrooms before but usually my shrimps come and steal the food away before I see the mushrooms physically eat them. Ive tried brine but not yet mysis.

quiksilverchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Breakbeats2334
Registered Member

I'm also interested on mushroom feeding I haven't been too successful with spot feeding them with out the shrimps taking it away

Breakbeats2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2012, 09:54 AM   #3
philosophile
Registered Member

If you have problems with things stealing food from your shrooms you need to either isolate the shrimp with food elsewhere first, or isolate the shroom with something like a strawberry basket. I like feeding my shrooms nutramar ova.

Unread 06/19/2012, 06:09 PM   #4
Jolleyreefs
Registered Member

I have heard that putting a shotglass or something of that nature over them will help keep the shrimp away. The strawberry basket idea mentioned sounds like a good idea. As far as feeding, I give mine new life spectrum pellets that have had time to soak in vitachem or selcon.

Jolleyreefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2012, 11:47 PM   #5
wireefman
reefin chef

i just brodcast feed my tanks at night after the lights go out. theres more than enough food dumped into my tank to feed shrimps and other inverts as well as all the coral

wireefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2012, 07:59 AM   #6
quiksilverchin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophile View Post
If you have problems with things stealing food from your shrooms you need to either isolate the shrimp with food elsewhere first, or isolate the shroom with something like a strawberry basket. I like feeding my shrooms nutramar ova.
I've never heard of nutramar ova but I'll give it a try. I've tried putting a plastic clear cup over the shrooms but most of mine are attached to rocks and te shrimps can still get to them since the cup doesn't perfectly fit over them.

Unread 06/21/2012, 08:08 AM   #7
GeorgeMonnatJr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksilverchin View Post
I've never heard of nutramar ova but I'll give it a try. I've tried putting a plastic clear cup over the shrooms but most of mine are attached to rocks and te shrimps can still get to them since the cup doesn't perfectly fit over them.
I have the same problem with shrimp stealing from my anemones (I can see a definite benefit to anemones having clownfish to protect them from raiders). I usually have a "stick" (piece of rigid air hose) that I use to discourage the shrimp until the anemones can get the food to their mouths.

It's better when I feed the shrimp in a far corner then feed the anemones a little extra. They get most of it themselves. But that means keeping my skimmer and GFO reactor running full speed.

GeorgeMonnatJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2012, 08:24 AM   #8
quiksilverchin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolleyreefs View Post
I have heard that putting a shotglass or something of that nature over them will help keep the shrimp away. The strawberry basket idea mentioned sounds like a good idea. As far as feeding, I give mine new life spectrum pellets that have had time to soak in vitachem or selcon.
I've tried that too and it seems to work well cause when my shrimp don't get to the food, my Ricordeas eat three new life spectrum pellets at a time.

Unread 06/21/2012, 08:27 AM   #9
quiksilverchin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireefman View Post
i just brodcast feed my tanks at night after the lights go out. theres more than enough food dumped into my tank to feed shrimps and other inverts as well as all the coral
I've used coral vibrance and cyclopeeze mixed with vitamins. What do you use?

Unread 06/21/2012, 08:29 AM   #10
quiksilverchin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMonnatJr View Post
I have the same problem with shrimp stealing from my anemones (I can see a definite benefit to anemones having clownfish to protect them from raiders). I usually have a "stick" (piece of rigid air hose) that I use to discourage the shrimp until the anemones can get the food to their mouths.

It's better when I feed the shrimp in a far corner then feed the anemones a little extra. They get most of it themselves. But that means keeping my skimmer and GFO reactor running full speed.
My tank is only 34 gallons and I guess between the two cleaners, one blood red that went missing and all the snails, they attack the food before I an feed them and I'm afraid of over feeding.