Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/05/2019, 07:03 AM   #1
RyvBoy
Registered Member

First NanoReef 90lt

This is the situation of my first nano reef after a month

Kh 8
Calcium 400
Magnesium 1170
Nitrate 2

RyvBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2019, 01:32 PM   #2
scattered
Registered Member

Is that a yellow tang? You already have coral in the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 04/25/2019, 04:54 AM   #3
RyvBoy
Registered Member

almost 2 month

Unread 04/25/2019, 11:31 AM   #4
Illuminati
Premium Member

You should not have a tang in that size tank. Shame on you.

Future nTOTM winner :)

Current Tank Info: Biocube 16 LED
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2019, 01:22 PM   #5
scattered
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminati View Post
You should not have a tang in that size tank. Shame on you.

QFT

Unread 04/26/2019, 12:35 PM   #6
nickbydesign
Registered Member

Small tank with a tang? ewww

nickbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2019, 01:03 PM   #7
murphreef
Registered Member

^ guys who cares.... Tang is fine at that size and if does get too big he can re home it....

Current Tank Info: 25G cube (finally back in the hobby in a small way)
murphreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2019, 04:29 PM   #8
scattered
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphreef View Post
^ guys who cares.... Tang is fine at that size and if does get too big he can re home it....

Putting coral and a fish that is not suitable in a tank that was set up for 1 month is a pretty major red flag.

Unread 04/26/2019, 11:57 PM   #9
bshow24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scattered View Post
Putting coral and a fish that is not suitable in a tank that was set up for 1 month is a pretty major red flag.

Yes, the yellow tang can get a bit large, but it can easily be rehomed.

It's also a complete myth that corals need an "established/mature" tank. What corals need is stability. People who can keep stability in a tank immediately after a cycle can 100% keep corals.

Equipment: 2x Radion XR15 Pro, Radion XR30 Pro, Vectra M1 Return, 2x MP40 Powerhead
bshow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2019, 12:41 AM   #10
scattered
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshow24 View Post

It's also a complete myth that corals need an "established/mature" tank. What corals need is stability. People who can keep stability in a tank immediately after a cycle can 100% keep corals.
Sure a tank can potentially be ready for coral in a month but it needs an experienced aquarist who knows what to look for and how to adjust to the challenge. The same goes for putting a tang in a nano (I have huge hopes that Biota can breed a yellow tang that can be kept in a nano).

I have been playing the reef game for a couple decades now and I see the same mistakes made over and over. Is that the case here definitively? Unknown. Is someone putting coral in a 1 month old tank a red flag? Well...yeah. People still believe what the LFS tells them and buy an 'complete tank' and put vertebrates and corals in within the first few weeks. That lasts for a couple months...

This tank still looks pretty clean which could mean it is an established biome or it is not reached a badly apparent bloom cycle.

If this reefer has the experience to dump coral in a tank after it was up for a month I would love to hear it, but we haven't even seen parameters let alone any type of maintenance schedule. A QT can look great every single day if you replace half the water on the regular.

You might also want to look into the definition of 'complete myth' when it comes to keeping coral. A stable but sterile tank will not even support SPS let alone the dirty water species everyone keeps.

Unread 04/27/2019, 12:49 AM   #11
scattered
Registered Member

Quote:

Also 'rehoming' a fish is a majorly traumatic experience and screw the aquarist who plans on that being a part of their pet's life. You are a shitty aquarist if that is your plan.

Unread 04/27/2019, 01:58 AM   #12
bshow24
Registered Member

Quote:
Sure a tank can potentially be ready for coral in a month but it needs an experienced aquarist who knows what to look for and how to adjust to the challenge. The same goes for putting a tang in a nano (I have huge hopes that Biota can breed a yellow tang that can be kept in a nano).

I have been playing the reef game for a couple decades now and I see the same mistakes made over and over. Is that the case here definitively? Unknown. Is someone putting coral in a 1 month old tank a red flag? Well...yeah. People still believe what the LFS tells them and buy an 'complete tank' and put vertebrates and corals in within the first few weeks. That lasts for a couple months...

This tank still looks pretty clean which could mean it is an established biome or it is not reached a badly apparent bloom cycle.

If this reefer has the experience to dump coral in a tank after it was up for a month I would love to hear it, but we haven't even seen parameters let alone any type of maintenance schedule. A QT can look great every single day if you replace half the water on the regular.

You might also want to look into the definition of 'complete myth' when it comes to keeping coral. A stable but sterile tank will not even support SPS let alone the dirty water species everyone keeps.

The problem is a lot of assumptions are being made here. Like I said, I agree the yellow tang is too small for the nano, but doesn't mean to attack the person without any knowledge of what they are going to do. Maybe this reefer has another tank? Maybe they already have a plan for the tang? We need to ask those before assuming and attacking someone on a forum.

In regards to corals, the very first post does have parameters, so you must have missed them... Oh and a complete myth = completely untrue

Yes, experience helps in keeping a stable aquarium, which is generally why people always tell folks with little to no experience to wait on getting any type of corals, but that doesn't mean it's a requirement to put corals in a tank that's mature. Hell, every brand new tank I've had has an anemone and coral in it within 2 weeks of the cycle ending. And they're still alive because I did my homework, asked questions, and made sure I kept everything stable.

Equipment: 2x Radion XR15 Pro, Radion XR30 Pro, Vectra M1 Return, 2x MP40 Powerhead
Unread 04/27/2019, 02:12 AM   #13
scattered
Registered Member

Quote:
The problem is a lot of assumptions are being made here. Like I said, I agree the yellow tang is too small for the nano, but doesn't mean to attack the person without any knowledge of what they are going to do. Maybe this reefer has another tank? Maybe they already have a plan for the tang? We need to ask those before assuming and attacking someone on a forum.

In regards to corals, the very first post does have parameters, so you must have missed them... Oh and a complete myth = completely untrue

Yes, experience helps in keeping a stable aquarium, which is generally why people always tell folks with little to no experience to wait on getting any type of corals, but that doesn't mean it's a requirement to put corals in a tank that's mature. Hell, every brand new tank I've had has an anemone and coral in it within 2 weeks of the cycle ending. And they're still alive because I did my homework, asked questions, and made sure I kept everything stable.

All valid points. The title of the thread is ‘first nano’ and the posts are not encouraging.

I did see the initial parameter posts and nothing a month later. I don’t see much to suggest the OP is a responsible aquarist. The OP has not attempted to defend themselves yet.

In any case keeping a fish ‘temporarily’ in an unsuitable environment is a **** thing to do.

Unread 04/29/2019, 01:29 PM   #14
reef cuber
Registered Member

Still doesn't make it right to be insulting to the poster. That's a good way to make people leave rather than stay and learn.

reef cuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2019, 07:47 AM   #15
Krush
Registered Member

man this thread got hijacked...

Tank looks good mate, keep it up. Hopefully you have some kind of plan for that tang long term.

Krush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2019, 08:09 AM   #16
ls1fst98
Registered Member

Quote:

how do you know they are not an experienced reef keeper? just going off assumption? post count? fact they are new? its pple like this that keep good people off of forums and many reasons why i refused to post on forums for many many years.

OP, tank looks great.

ls1fst98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2019, 10:10 AM   #17
RyvBoy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef cuber View Post
Still doesn't make it right to be insulting to the poster. That's a good way to make people leave rather than stay and learn.

thank you very much....

Unread 05/04/2019, 10:21 AM   #18
RyvBoy
Registered Member

anyway, yes I got plans for the tang. I got a very close friend of mine that could in future receive it in his 360liters tank if and when it will grow too much for the nano.

btw i assure you it lives better in this tank than the 30liters tank where I found it.

nothing to be ashamed of. instead I'm surprised how quickly you attacked me...

Unread 05/04/2019, 12:06 PM   #19
Krush
Registered Member

what plans do you have for corals?

Also what are you doing for maintenance?

Unread 05/05/2019, 08:02 PM   #20
bcb577
Registered Member

Quote:

Yes but stability in a one month old tank is not to common!

bcb577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2019, 12:28 AM   #21
bshow24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcb577 View Post
Yes but stability in a one month old tank is not to common!
If the person has experience, incorrect. It's very easy to keep a tank stable as long as you know what you are doing. In addition, all the equipment in this day and age makes it super easy.

OP, good luck and keep up the maintenance. Everything will be perfectly fine as long as you do that.

Unread 05/06/2019, 12:13 PM   #22
Krush
Registered Member

I agree, maintaining stable parameters has never been easier.

Unread 05/26/2019, 02:48 PM   #23
MeoMat
Registered Member

Hi folks, don't worry about this guy. I am helping him personally with tips and even measurements of water parameters.

I'm a marine aquarist from some years, organizing the activities of our local reefclub. So I consider myself a bit expert, enough to help him in case of need.

The tank is a nano, hard to keeping indeed, but actually it's stable. The initial cycling was very quick, due a mirate dosing of bacteria and live rocks from a well established aquarium. No new entries were made without doing before tests and evaluations.

About the flavescens, we know very well the situation: but the growing rate is't too fast, and into the surgeon family, the flavescens is one of fish with less swimming need respect the others.
When it's the time for the health of the fish, we can relocate without problem in a couple of minutes in a bigger tank.

MeoMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2019, 09:44 AM   #24
RyvBoy
Registered Member

Unread 06/25/2019, 08:38 PM   #25
\Clownfish/
Saltwater Beginner

Only thing I would suggest is moving the Xenia to a rock of its own or it will spread everywhere even on top of your Corals.