Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2017, 01:02 AM   #1
macci
Registered Member

bio fill

good morning
i am using priobiotic method with zeolite i was thinking to change to bio fill any recommendations about it? and the bio fill should i put it in reactor? or onlu in ther sump on a filter bag?

macci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 01:30 AM   #2
macci
Registered Member

I was gonna change from zeolites as i am losing all my sps i think is fron zeolites ( all parameters ara good i have good flow and also good lightbing

macci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 06:43 AM   #3
Anirban
Registered Member

You can use bio fil either in a reactor or in a filter bag. Its fine with any of the method.

Anirban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 07:05 AM   #4
Debora
Registered Member

As I answered you at Aquaforest Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1490485151247025/

I think that you didnt need to use zeolites in your tank.

Life Bio Fil is good to support microlife in tank that's why I am sure that its good alternative to your tank now.

Debora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 10:03 AM   #5
MrMichael
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macci View Post
good morning
i am using priobiotic method with zeolite i was thinking to change to bio fill any recommendations about it? and the bio fill should i put it in reactor? or onlu in ther sump on a filter bag?
Fair warning, it's a popular product. It sold out on BRS instantly, hopefully in-stock soon.

I'm not affiliated with AF, just a user looking for BioFil

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

MrMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2017, 07:49 AM   #6
Ken77
Registered Member

You can use biofil and zeomix separately? I thought you were supposed to use them together?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Ken77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2017, 09:26 AM   #7
Anirban
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken77 View Post
You can use biofil and zeomix separately? I thought you were supposed to use them together?

No, you can use them separately. Zeolite has different function than biofil. Biofil is already preloaded with the beneficial bacteria so they are like live rock. The moment you put them in they start working. On the other hand the zeolite can actually serve two different purpose, they can reduce ammonia and ions along with porus substrate for bacteria housing. Zeolite are a bit tricky to use and need little tuning while biofil is like load and forget. But you need to replace biofil after every 4-6 weeks.

Unread 03/05/2017, 11:57 AM   #8
Ken77
Registered Member

My tank is 150 gallons i have mainly undemanding sps and afew lps mushrooms and grandiose polyps. On jan 15 I started using the af reef salt. I also started a reactor with phosphate -, af carbon and zeomix. I have been dosing 5 drops of pro bio s and 5 drops of pro nps. My phosphstes are at .14 and nitrates sre at 2ppm. I have a bucket of af probiotic salt that i want switch to when i finish the reef salt off. I also plan to replace the zeomix with life biofil that i am adding to a new reactor. Given that my nitrates have already dropped to 2ppm should i turn off the reactor with the zeomix carbon and phosphate- now?

Unread 03/05/2017, 11:59 AM   #9
Ken77
Registered Member

I do not plan to run ultra low nutrients right now.

Unread 03/06/2017, 07:32 AM   #10
Anirban
Registered Member

Quote:
My tank is 150 gallons i have mainly undemanding sps and afew lps mushrooms and grandiose polyps. On jan 15 I started using the af reef salt. I also started a reactor with phosphate -, af carbon and zeomix. I have been dosing 5 drops of pro bio s and 5 drops of pro nps. My phosphstes are at .14 and nitrates sre at 2ppm. I have a bucket of af probiotic salt that i want switch to when i finish the reef salt off. I also plan to replace the zeomix with life biofil that i am adding to a new reactor. Given that my nitrates have already dropped to 2ppm should i turn off the reactor with the zeomix carbon and phosphate- now?

I would be more concerned about your PO4 than nitrate. If you close your reactor you will cut off the GFO so your PO4 will increase. Also the probiotic salt contain amino and vitamin so that will add up to your nutrient levels. I will suggest first to shift to probiotic salt with the reactor on and then observe the levels. If your levels decrease then you can turn the reactor off.

Unread 03/06/2017, 02:11 PM   #11
Ken77
Registered Member

I guess I was not clear. I just plan to eventually replace the zeomix with the life bio fill. I plan to continue using the carbon and phosphate -. By the way on jan 16 when i first started with af products my phosphate was.77

Unread 03/07/2017, 07:04 AM   #12
Anirban
Registered Member

Quote:
I guess I was not clear. I just plan to eventually replace the zeomix with the life bio fill. I plan to continue using the carbon and phosphate -. By the way on jan 16 when i first started with af products my phosphate was.77

Life bio fil does not replace zeomix functionally.They have separate function. But for your purpose you can use Life bio fil you don't need zeomix.