Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 09/13/2006, 11:15 PM   #826
mwp
Moved On

Geeze, I didn't realize it had already been this long. FWIW, the last of the Mandarin larvae were gone today. I drained down the tank and have it filled with fresh hot tap water (went in at 119.3 F).

It looks like tonight is the night for Apogon leptacanthus fry - I'm thinking I'm going to give them a try this time around, IF I can catch the male before he eats or releases them into the tank!

FWIW,

Matt

Unread 09/14/2006, 09:41 PM   #827
apistomaster
Registered Member

Hi Matt,
Are you familiar with the myth of Sisyphus? At least you have choices of which stone to roll. One of these guys will yield to your efforts sooner or later.
Larry

Current Tank Info: Mostly discus breeding
Unread 09/14/2006, 10:46 PM   #828
mwp
Moved On

Larry, 12 years ago when I studied that I'd probably remember what it's about, but that info has since been replaced with computer code and fish breeding idiosyncricies!

MP

Unread 09/15/2006, 08:33 PM   #829
apistomaster
Registered Member

It's just a reference to tortured persistence.
Larry

Current Tank Info: Mostly discus breeding
Unread 09/15/2006, 08:40 PM   #830
mwp
Moved On

Sounds about right Larry

Matt

Unread 09/15/2006, 10:23 PM   #831
mwp
Moved On

It's 11:15 PM...I went to the tank and noticed the mandarins are courting...unfortunately I had to interrupt them to do a small water change (3 gallons)...hopefully it won't bother them TOO much and we'll still get a spawn this evening.

Matt

Unread 09/16/2006, 12:06 AM   #832
mwp
Moved On

9-16-06, 12:39 AM - We have a SPAWN! - So the lights went out really late, maybe 12:20...they spawn occured after that. This was probably the smallest and "most sticky" spawn to date...I only found ONE loose egg.

So the spawns seem to be getting smaller and less frequent...I just wonder if our female is starting to "wear out"?

I did basically the same thing I did with the last spawn; collected it all, placed it in the .5 gallon specimen cup, no aeration, and hung it in a heated aquarium - this time the larval aquarium. I turned up the heater a bit (as I type this it's at 80.7F). If this ends up being a "repeat" of the success with the last spawn, I think that backs up the results pretty well. We'll know in about 12 hours!

Matt

Unread 09/16/2006, 02:03 AM   #833
mwp
Moved On

Larval tank was at 81.5F as of 3:00 AM and the heater is off. I'm going to bump it up one more notch.

Matt

Unread 09/16/2006, 09:18 AM   #834
jake levi
Registered Member

Matt I am curious, could there also be a seasonal element in action, or is it a season when old enough factor ?

Could the female be over the hump agewise at the end of the season? I am just wondering.

I am really hoping that you get some raised up so that you have a group with known history to work with.

Current Tank Info: reef tanks oriented towards pairs of reef fish
Unread 09/16/2006, 11:39 AM   #835
Forestal
Premium Member

i am also thinkging must be seasonal, for a female to produce as much as yours did, she needs some time to recover...
it would be interesting to plot your spawn dates on a lunar calendar and look at times of year and moon cycle(may not be related)

Dan

Current Tank Info: 75 mixed Indopacific reef
Unread 09/16/2006, 11:47 AM   #836
mwp
Moved On

Dan, Jake, I've actually been plotting all my OBSERVED spawning dates against the lunar cycle and I'm convinced there is a positive correlation between full moons and increased spawning.

The observation that mandarins spawn "daily" in nature may be misleading...it may not be that every FEMALE spawns daily, but that there is daily spawning activity within the overall mandarin population. I could see where a MALE is ready to spawn every night. I have ALSO had spawns occur on back-to-back nights for 2 or 3 nights, but in general the average for a while there was every 4 days (I think that the time between spawns is starting to lengthen in general).

Of course, I have to keep in mind that there have been a few trips over the past couple months where I have not been able to observe and record any spawnings that MIGHT have occured.

No hatch yet on the eggs, at least not when I last checked them at 11:30 AM. The larval tank is now running at 82F.

Matt

Unread 09/16/2006, 12:44 PM   #837
jake levi
Registered Member

Matt are they spawning by the calendar month or do you have artificial moonlight ? Or both ?

Unread 09/16/2006, 01:12 PM   #838
mwp
Moved On

I'm keeping track against the calendar month...my lighting schedule is entirely erratic...sometimes on a timer, sometimes not and when NOT on a timer, lights on and lights out times really vary.

Matt

Unread 09/16/2006, 01:14 PM   #839
mwp
Moved On

HATCHING HAS BEEN CRACKED - IT'S ENTIRELY TEMPERATURE RELATED!

So I "shook up" the specimen cup at 2:11 PM and there are LARVAE EVERYWHERE!

I'll come back with a headcount soon.

Matt

Unread 09/16/2006, 02:33 PM   #840
mwp
Moved On

163 larvae and there's probably still some hatching!

Larval tank temps (and thus incubation temps) were hovering between 81.5 and 82.0 F.

Now, to be fair, these last two spawns have had some lag time between them...i.e. 8-11 days I think (would have to check my records). The REAL test is on back-to-back spawns, i.e. 1 or 2 days appart. If THOSE hatch as well, I think that would rule out parental diet / egg quality and truly NAIL DOWN TEMPERATURE as the SOLE factor required to successfully hatch mandarins. Afterall, this setup had NO circulation or aeration of ANY KIND...just a 0.5 gallon specimen cup hanging in the larval tank.

WHOO FREAKIN' WHOO!!!!!!

Matt

Unread 09/16/2006, 02:49 PM   #841
mwp
Moved On

OK, so he're a picture of the babies in their temporary gladware container (while acclimating to the larval tank). It's huge, so I'm not going to post it INLINE - simply click the link to get the ORIGINAL full size image.

http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/nanoree...171_oodles.JPG

MP

Unread 09/16/2006, 03:24 PM   #842
mwp
Moved On

FINAL COUNT - 167 larvae, 38 unhatched eggs remaining in the cup!

Matt

Unread 09/16/2006, 05:20 PM   #843
Kathy55g
Moved On

Bravo!

Unread 09/16/2006, 06:06 PM   #844
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mwp
FINAL COUNT - 167 larvae, 38 unhatched eggs remaining in the cup!

Matt
That is just freakin awesome Matt!!! All that hard work and you now have cracked getting them hatched!!! Now you can start working on foods

Keep up the great work!

Brian

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef with 29 gal sump and 8 gal Clownfish species tank
Unread 09/16/2006, 06:41 PM   #845
Tommyc
Registered Member

Matt,

That's Great! I hope you're right in that it's temp that's been the hatching issue all this time. I noted you said this was the "stickiest" spawn yet with only one loose egg....that seems to indicate something different right from the start. You'll have to test the temp theory with another spawn that isn't so sticky to see if it's solely the temp ... any changes in the parents diet recently?

tom

Unread 09/16/2006, 10:44 PM   #846
aomont
Registered Member

Now that´s a hatch !!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations !
I´m with Tom on the stickness of the spawn, has anything changed at all ?
Anderson.

Unread 09/17/2006, 07:23 AM   #847
jake levi
Registered Member

Congrats Matt !

step by step is the way it goes.

You should have enough pics to do a good book from all of this.

Unread 09/17/2006, 07:47 AM   #848
beashay
Registered Member

Excellent pictures and awesome video thanks for sharing...

Unread 09/17/2006, 12:50 PM   #849
Forestal
Premium Member

congrats Matt, keep up the great work

Dan

Current Tank Info: 75 mixed Indopacific reef
Unread 09/17/2006, 09:05 PM   #850
mwp
Moved On

First to answer some questions - other than a reduced spawning frequency which may in part be due to less massive feedings, nothing else has really changed in my mandarin care. Have two larger hatches at 80-81 and then 81-82 F respectively seems to pretty well prove the temp influence so far - I think I mentioned before that I think the REAL test will be when I get a back-to-back spawn again - seeing how the one on the 1st and 2nd day hatch out when given the same higher temps would probably solidify the working "thesis" that temp is the key.

So it's 9-17-06, 10:00 PM, 32 hours post hatch. I thought some QX5 pictures of the 32 hour old larvae were in order - I pulled out 2 larvae to shoot; I think it's self explainitory which is 10X, 60X and 200X

The tank got 0.75 L of Tetraselmis this evening...they're still sharing the tank with Apogon leptacanthus larvae for now....

FWIW,

MP

Closed Thread