Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/21/2020, 09:14 PM   #1
dochoot
Registered Member

How to Frag Hammerhead

I originally posted on LPS but maybe better here?

I have an extensive amount of Hammerhead and I have been trading with a local store. I am trying to get better about it. I have just been giving large pieces but seems more desirable to trim down and mount on frag plugs (I would prefer the longer piece if me). Watched some videos and will start doing that.

My question concerns if I trim it with a Dremel 2 inches proximal to the fleshy top, will it grow back out of the stem? They are pretty long.

Thanks in advance.

dochoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2020, 07:56 AM   #2
Reef Bass
colors and textures

If by "Hammerhead", you are talking about branching Hammer coral (Euphyllia sp.), then yes, one can frag off each branch, cutting the exposed skeleton, NOT THE FLESHY PART. leaving 2 or 3 inches of exposed skeleton on the bottom.

In general each stalk grows skeleton upwards and the top polyp and couple inches of fleshy "collar" beneath it go with it.

A Dremel will get the job done. I use bone shears.

Personally I form a small marshmallow with epoxy, put a dab of cyanoacrylate (super) glue on the top and bottom, and press the exposed skeleton into the top and the bottom onto a frag plug or disk.

If you are talking about wall hammer coral, I suggest not trying to frag it. There are many reports of the frags not surviving, likely due to infection induced by cutting through it.

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2021, 09:43 PM   #3
dochoot
Registered Member

Yes, I am referring to branching Hammer coral (Euphyllia sp.). I watched a youtube video and did as you suggested with diamond bit dremmel. Was curious if the fleshy part grows back in the stalk that is left. I put some back under light and was gonna see.

Unread 01/04/2021, 07:51 AM   #4
Reef Bass
colors and textures

In my time reefing I estimate I have generated upwards of 100 Hammer frags and have never seen Hammer flesh regrow on a bare skeleton branch that was left after fragging.

Unread 01/07/2021, 09:48 PM   #5
dochoot
Registered Member

Sounds definitive. Nothing on my short experiment. Apparently, no relation to a rose bush.

Unread 01/08/2021, 09:09 AM   #6
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochoot View Post
Apparently, no relation to a rose bush.
Yes, no relation.

I grow roses too.

Unread 02/09/2021, 11:16 AM   #7
Sk8r
RC Mod

Frogspawn (a relative) will regrow from bare skeleton OR regrow skeleton from a popped head if you can keep it in a glass dish and protect it from being blown into the shadows of the rockwork. Possibly hammer can do the same, and if the calcium-depositing cells at the bottom of the head have gone with the popped head, perhaps that is the situation in which the skeleton is truly dead, but the fleshy head can regrow a skeleton...just speculating, with no basis but one regrown frogspawn.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2021, 07:59 AM   #8
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Thanks for your input Sk8r. I hear your theory that if a close relative of hammer (frogspawn) can do it, likely hammer can too. Seems plausible.

Love frogspawn, BTW. And Euphyllia in general.

Next time I notice a popped head I will try to glass dish it, and I will hold on to the "empty" skeleton branch to see what happens. My previous attempts to salvage bailed out polyps involved trying to glue them to something, which was a miserable failure as they just slimed their way out / off.

Do you think it's worth differentiating between a fragged branch and bailed polyp branch? With the fragged branch, all living tissue and usually at least an inch or two of skeleton below the polyp is removed. With a branch where a now bailed polyp recently lived, there is a chance of those "calcium-depositing cells" remaining.

For your frogspawn, how long did it take to show signs of regrowth, and how long until it looked like a "normal" polyp again?

Unread 06/14/2021, 06:58 AM   #9
Sk8r
RC Mod

Took several months.
I had brain resurface after being a year upside down as part of a construction.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2021, 07:52 AM   #10
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Wow! A year! Impressive.

Since Feb, I had an unfortunate opportunity to try this with a frogspawn. FedEx screwed up and the box arrived 24 hours late after some zigzag path across the US during cold weather elsewhere. The frogspawn never inflated and then ejected all tissue within 48 hours. I kept the "stump" in the tank for 3 months, hoping for any sign of life. Never saw any and tosssed it after 3 months. Seems like I should have been more patient. Next time. Thanks for your input.