Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/02/2018, 06:59 PM   #1
Dennio
Registered Member

Carbon doser Regulator

Looking to switch from doser to Calcium Reactor.

is the AquariumPlants Carbon Doser still a good regulator?
Can someone recommend a good quality regulator.

thanks!

Dennio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2018, 07:22 PM   #2
tom obrecht
Registered Member

It’s the one I use. Very stable and happy with it.

Unread 12/03/2018, 02:52 AM   #3
slief
RC Sponsor

I love my Carbon Doser regulator. I’ve had lots of regulators over the years but this is by far my favorite.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2018, 09:52 AM   #4
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

another option would be to build your own. A lot of reefers have had good success with building their own
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ight=regulator

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2018, 03:54 PM   #5
Sanren
Registered Member

The carbon doser is a little pricey, but it is worth every penny. You can get other regulators that will work, but you will not find one that works as well, is as consistent, or takes less maintenance than the carbon doser. I've been running mine non-stop for a few years and never had a single issue.

Sanren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2018, 07:43 PM   #6
LQT
Registered Member

CarbonDosers no doubt have their loyal following. But so do the Alanle style custom dual stage lab grade DIY regulators that will last a lifetime and can often be built for less if you’re patient and into the DIY thing. Here’s my all stainless dual stage Alanle style regulator that I built and I’m sure will last well beyond my lifetime. Plus, it’s damn sexy looking!

Victor SGT160B

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2018, 08:02 PM   #7
Bpb
Registered Member

I’d take my alanle built concoa over an aquarium plants regulator any day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2018, 11:22 AM   #8
McPuff
Registered Member

If you want a cheaper option, with excellent quality, you can try the CO2 art regulators. I've had one for a few years and it's been excellent. It's dual stage so you don't get end-of-tank-dump. Very nice controls and the solenoid seems to be really nice too. I think I paid about $130 including shipping from the UK (where they're made). co2art.eu

The only thing I changed is the bubble counter... I use a different brand. The ones that come from co2art make tiny bubbles so the rate is harder to calculate in my opinion. Anyway, VERY happy with my decision.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2018, 11:28 AM   #9
McPuff
Registered Member

Oops, duplicate.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2018, 12:12 PM   #10
Dennio
Registered Member

thanks everyone for your feedback . Those AlanLe style regulators look good, but when i did a bit of research it seems like it can get pricey, the carbon doser is $300. I'll PM Alan since hes local

Please keep the suggestions and photos coming! some real nice regulators i see so far.

Dennio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2018, 04:27 PM   #11
bblumberg
Registered Member

Alan will probably sell you one for fairly close to that cost. The cost may be less if you source the parts at good prices and build yourself, but probably not less than half for top quality components.

Current Tank Info: 150G mixed reef (6x Blue Acro 20K Pro COB LEDs, 4x 80W T5 supplement), 150g fw discus (T5 lighting), 110G fw Angelfish (DIY LED lighting), 4 x 40 g frag tanks (DIY LED).
bblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2018, 05:04 PM   #12
reeftivo
Skim junkie

you may also want to check out greenleaf aquariums GLA regulators.

i use a GLA-GRO 1 and it works flawlessly

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2018, 09:40 AM   #13
frankv702
Registered Member

Building your own true dual stage regulator is the way to go and will be cheaper than $300. I built mine for about $175 total and it’s rock solid. The swagelok low flow needle valves give you rock solid consistency and are super easy to dial in. The dual stage regulator makes sure you don’t have end of tank dump of co2. My dual stage regulator compared to my Milwaukee regulator is a night and day difference. Even the feel and size is 100% noticeable.

Building one similar to a carbon doser would be pretty easy as well. It’s basically a pot controlling the timing on a timer IC that’s output controls a solenoid. About $40 in components and some type of single stage regulator.

frankv702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2018, 04:52 PM   #14
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Buy a CarbonDoser.

Having built a few nice Dual-Stage regulators myself now, and also having re-built a broken CarbonDoser, the CarbonDoser is just easier. If you're DIY inclined, and like to off the deep end, then by all means, build a dual-stage CarbonDoser with the same high-cycle valve that CD uses, but if you're not DIY inclined, and would rather not be messing around (not to mention sourcing the right parts, making sure the parts you get work well, etc.), I would just stick with tried and true CarbonDoser.

I'm really frustrated that the $100 needle valve that I got for $50 used might cause some inconsistency in bubble rate because it could have a bent needle valve (?!?!). I have it dialed in rock-solid now, but still, it was frustrating in the beginning to diagnose and get dialed in. With CarbonDoser, it's set it, test, and forget it. Minor tweak, simple turn of the knob, and you're done. No worries that parts could be malfunctioning or other frustrations.

Also, building one from used parts won't be cheap, it won't be easy, and you'll always be second-guessing the quality of the used parts, unless you're an expert at gas regulation, which you aren't, because you're asking us to begin with

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2018, 11:27 AM   #15
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

^^^ great advice there

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2018, 08:21 PM   #16
manateemark
Registered Member

I am always a fan of paying for quality when it is going to be cheaper in the end. It seems like maybe a used carbon foster would be the best bet.

manateemark is offline   Reply With Quote