Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/22/2016, 04:26 PM   #526
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

My red A. carduus (aka red dragon) arrived earlier this afternoon in good condition and is now in my tank after acclimatisation. I have chosen exactly the same spot that I used for my A. speciosa (low flow and low PAR- ~150-200 mmol/m2/sec) as per Matt's suggestion.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2016, 04:45 PM   #527
reefmutt
Registered Member

Very nice Bulent!
Good luck with it.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2016, 08:59 PM   #528
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
My red A. carduus (aka red dragon) arrived earlier this afternoon in good condition and is now in my tank after acclimatisation. I have chosen exactly the same spot that I used for my A. speciosa (low flow and low PAR- ~150-200 mmol/m2/sec) as per Matt's suggestion.

The dragons are so awesome! Congrats!

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2016, 05:49 AM   #529
Cam
Registered Member

Hi Bulent,

I wish you had some of that Acropora digitifera available when I saw you the other day. I love table corals and would have happily had a piece off you. If you still have some and will post I'd still take a bit and cold even send you a box if you needed one.

Cheers,

Cam.

Last edited by Cam; 03/23/2016 at 05:55 AM.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2016, 06:21 PM   #530
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Hi Cameron,

What a surprise. I had no idea you were on this forum. It is a sad sight isn't it? I am not sure this coral is necessarily a tabling acropora, but grew in this formation due to strong crushing currents it has been subjected to from above.

I will think about your proposal and will let you know. Has my aspera settled yet?

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
Unread 03/23/2016, 10:55 PM   #531
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Quote:
Finally, I have just noticed how much this mystery Acropora (gemmifera???) has grown since 20th December 2015:

My corals are on a steroid .
Holy crap that is AMAZING!

Sorry about the A. digitifera, it was a very impressive colony but I think you made the right decision.

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2016, 01:23 AM   #532
biggles
Registered Member

That red dragon looks so cool Bulent............. i'm very jealous now

That's the perfect piece and color variant to use as a dosing canary coral btw Bulent. Reds and pinks etc light up like xmas trees in my water

Unread 03/24/2016, 01:48 AM   #533
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshky View Post
Holy crap that is AMAZING!

Sorry about the A. digitifera, it was a very impressive colony but I think you made the right decision.
Cheers Josh. I have begun dosing tiny amount of poly sugars as a carbon source (Tropic Marin Elimi-NP). Corals may grow even faster now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
That red dragon looks so cool Bulent............. i'm very jealous now

That's the perfect piece and color variant to use as a dosing canary coral btw Bulent. Reds and pinks etc light up like xmas trees in my water
Thanks for the compliment Andrew. This is why I am concentrating on reds and pinks lately.

I bought this coral yesterday. It came with two resident acro crabs. It has creamy/green body with pink tips. It is a wild-collected piece from Fiji and was much more colourful in dealer's tank. What do you think it is Andrew?

Cheers

Bulent

PS. I am running out of space in photo bucket. What are the alternatives?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080234.jpg (48.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg P1080235.jpg (70.3 KB, 65 views)

Unread 03/24/2016, 02:10 AM   #534
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

That looks like A.sarmentosa to me....

But I'm not Andrew...

Unread 03/24/2016, 02:18 AM   #535
biggles
Registered Member

I didn't alter the colors whatsoever Bulent, all i did was max out the gamma and saturation of those in the pic and brightened the pic - it's a little trick i use to check out what potential pigments might be washed out when a new piece is added. I also use it to check out the crap acros the rebels routinely add to their filthy little puddle tanks......... just to monitor the potential future pigment threat level

Acro crabs are awesome

I think you can see the obvious potential locked away in that colony now mate

I pay $5- a month for my account so i never have to worry about it. Considering the cash we throw at this hobby i think it's a bit silly to worry about running out of bandwidth and storage space.

You are sounding suspiciously like a rebel now Bulent.........

I agree with Max

Unread 03/24/2016, 02:36 AM   #536
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxII View Post
That looks like A.sarmentosa to me....
But I'm not Andrew...
Thank you Max. I appreciate it.

Quote:
I didn't alter the colors whatsoever Bulent, all i did was max out the gamma and saturation of those in the pic and brightened the pic - it's a little trick i use to check out what potential pigments might be washed out when a new piece is added. I also use it to check out the crap acros the rebels routinely add to their filthy little puddle tanks......... just to monitor the potential future pigment threat level

Acro crabs are awesome

I think you can see the obvious potential locked away in that colony now mate

I pay $5- a month for my account so i never have to worry about it. Considering the cash we throw at this hobby i think it's a bit silly to worry about running out of bandwidth and storage space.

You are sounding suspiciously like a rebel now Bulent.........

I agree with Max
I think you are right about having an account for storing photos. I tried to save some space by deleting some old photos, but also removed recent ones by mistake

The coral looked like the one in this picture in my dealer's tank. I will take another picture when the lights come on later today. I had to trade eight of my A. copiosa frags for it. I am so happy after seeing your future prediction. Thanks for that.

Unread 03/24/2016, 02:37 AM   #537
Cam
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi Cameron,

What a surprise. I had no idea you were on this forum. It is a sad sight isn't it? I am not sure this coral is necessarily a tabling acropora, but grew in this formation due to strong crushing currents it has been subjected to from above.

I will think about your proposal and will let you know. Has my aspera settled yet?
Hi Bulent,

It was my friend Graham (who had some of your frags) who said that you were on here, I hadn't noticed as hadn't been around on RC for a while. I'm also looking at Biggle's system with a view to trying it on my setup and have ordered in the necessary bottles.

The aspera is doing ok now although I had to break a branch off it to get it in the spot I wanted for it but both pieces are doing fine as are the rest of the frags. I just need to get some better growth now to get them filling out. I certainly think running T5 lights helps but I'm running a Radion G3 now on this tank which I am very pleased with.

Interesting about the digitifera growing like that due to flow. I have a nice blue prostrate that has done the same but I've just broke it off and moved it to get new stuff in and to prevent it causing too much shading as space is limited. If you want to do a swap I have a nice bit of the prostrata mounted you can have.

Cheers,

Cam.

Unread 03/24/2016, 08:07 AM   #538
reefmutt
Registered Member

Very interesting potential in that new piece, Bulent.
Looking forward to watching it.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 03/24/2016, 08:30 AM   #539
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Hey Bulent, my biggest issue with photobucket is the "viewing bandwidth", as in if X amount of people view your images, they replace your image with their own advertisement telling you that you need to upgrade your account. Because of this little tactic I decided not to use them anymore after doing so since 02/17/05, my account is pretty old considering it was founded in 03. I use Flickr now, it seems to be exactly what I want and I don't pay a penny for the service.

Nice new acro, it should be a stunner when it colors up.

Andrew is going to share all of his secrets soon and we'll no longer need him! Just kidding!

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2016, 01:06 PM   #540
Cam
Registered Member

Hi Bulent,

Any more thoughts on the digitifera or a swap for the prostrate?

Thanks,

Cam.

Unread 04/02/2016, 01:14 PM   #541
reefmutt
Registered Member

Bulent, how's the dragon doing?

Unread 04/02/2016, 04:30 PM   #542
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhucasey View Post
The dragons are so awesome! Congrats!
Sorry for the late reply Matt. I must have missed your post. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Bulent, how's the dragon doing?
It has not grown even a millimetre nor has it started to encrust its base. It is almost holding its colour though it looks very slightly off colour (i.e. slightly less red and a little more brown). This is probably because it did not receive enough lights due to overhanging copiosa colony. The mighty copiosa went to another home today and the dragon started to receive more lights. I will observe its progress in the coming weeks before considering moving it to a brighter spot.

Unread 04/02/2016, 04:37 PM   #543
reefmutt
Registered Member

Status quo is good. I wouldn't expect any change in the first week..

Unread 04/02/2016, 04:45 PM   #544
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Hi Bulent,

Any more thoughts on the digitifera or a swap for the prostrate?

Thanks,

Cam.
Hi Cameron,

I planned to take a short break in your part of the world this Easter, so that I could bring the coral to you in person. As I told you before, I love your island, but sadly our trip did not materialise.

I considered your proposal carefully, but I feel unable to post such a huge piece in case it dies during transit. It took me so long to grow it. A gentleman is driving 65 miles from the south of the country to collect it next week. Really sorry about this Cameron. However, I have two small pieces, which I advertised on UR lately. I will be happy to challenge my inhibitions about posting corals and send them to you with my compliments if you can cover the postage. Where would I get heat packs? Please let me know if you are interested.

Unread 04/02/2016, 05:24 PM   #545
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

I parted company with one of my oldest staghorns, A. copiosa, today. Although I fragged it many times over the years, the copiosa still looked mighty today (11.5" X 9" X 7"):

It went to a good home and I am sure the new owner will look after it well. After the colony was out of the water, this is how my tank looked:

I would say the tank looks a lot less mature without the copiosa.

I used the two large A. digitifera "frags" (5" X 5" each) to find out how my tank would look like in the future if I placed two plate forming corals in the space vacated by the copiosa. This was the result:

I will only keep one of the frags and the second one as I said in my previous post will be removed next week. I have not yet decided which piece to remove, but I am inclined to keep the one on the left hand side for two reasons: first, it has my trusted four-year-old acro crab living on it; second, it has a long trunk, which means that it will occupy less real estate.

I would welcome your views on the future look of the tank and which piece to keep.

Thanks in advance.

Unread 04/02/2016, 06:40 PM   #546
reefmutt
Registered Member

Nice choice on the reef makeover. A change is good..
Go with the Acro crab, no question!
New pieces, new interest and new colours.. All good!

Unread 04/03/2016, 12:21 AM   #547
Cam
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi Cameron,

I planned to take a short break in your part of the world this Easter, so that I could bring the coral to you in person. As I told you before, I love your island, but sadly our trip did not materialise.

I considered your proposal carefully, but I feel unable to post such a huge piece in case it dies during transit. It took me so long to grow it. A gentleman is driving 65 miles from the south of the country to collect it next week. Really sorry about this Cameron. However, I have two small pieces, which I advertised on UR lately. I will be happy to challenge my inhibitions about posting corals and send them to you with my compliments if you can cover the postage. Where would I get heat packs? Please let me know if you are interested.
Hi, that is very kind of you and I'd love a smaller piece. A bit bit would probably be more than I need as my tank is only small and I like to let the smaller bits grow in. I think you can get heat packs from any fishing tackle shop. Did you want a piece of the prostrata in return?

I'll switch to PM on UR if you like so as not the fill your thread here with unnecessary posts.

Cheers,

Cam.

Unread 04/03/2016, 12:50 AM   #548
biggles
Registered Member

Looks very different Bulent, i agree with moose man Matt on keeping the crab piece but i'd place it on the lower spot if it will be happy there since you know it's going to table and shade again.

Unread 04/03/2016, 05:59 AM   #549
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Looks very different Bulent, i agree with moose man Matt on keeping the crab piece but i'd place it on the lower spot if it will be happy there since you know it's going to table and shade again.
Ya know I've been called worse things but it IS a bit rich coming from the Aussie who's best friend is a mischievous koala named Kevin..

Unread 04/03/2016, 07:25 AM   #550
plyle02
Registered Member

Love that FTS Bulent!
Looking so mature and colorful. I love the makeover, we have to all do this from time to time, I am always a big believer in evolving the tank. We learn every day, mostly through our reefing experience, taking the learned information and applying it to enhance your reef speaks volume Bulent. Colors, health, and the overall contrast of the colors and growth patterns makes the tank look so much larger, great job!!!
Cheers

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote