Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/26/2015, 04:41 PM   #101
rmchoi
Registered Member

Here are few updated pictures. These are the last ones before starting version 2.0. I plan to stop Zeovit, add a refugium and replace the skimmer and sump.

Last edited by rmchoi; 12/27/2017 at 04:12 PM.
rmchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2015, 11:41 PM   #102
dfgjdgyuj
Registered Member

Great start so far! Nice to see stand that's not made strong enough to support a battle ship.

Last edited by dfgjdgyuj; 12/26/2015 at 11:46 PM.
dfgjdgyuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2015, 09:44 PM   #103
chilli_reef
Registered Member

Absolutely excellent job !

Current Tank Info: 75g nondrilled reef.
chilli_reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2015, 08:01 AM   #104
BigElvis31
Registered Member

Awesome build! I really like the modern look of the stand.

I had also made the same mistake of tying all of the wires together to neaten up the tank. It was such a hassle to undo everything.

BigElvis31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2015, 10:02 AM   #105
rjjr1963
Registered Member

Q```````` cxd

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon reef
rjjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2015, 03:45 PM   #106
rmchoi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilli_reef View Post
Absolutely excellent job !
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigElvis31 View Post
Awesome build! I really like the modern look of the stand.

I had also made the same mistake of tying all of the wires together to neaten up the tank. It was such a hassle to undo everything.
You never think you will have to remove or replace equipment often, but when you do, accessibility is key. This looks like a mess but removing equipment is easy.

Last edited by rmchoi; 12/28/2017 at 09:37 AM.
Unread 12/28/2015, 09:16 PM   #107
chilli_reef
Registered Member

Tag them

Current Tank Info: 75g nondrilled reef.
chilli_reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2015, 08:58 AM   #108
perforator
Registered Member

Did you replace the Radion's?

perforator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2015, 10:52 AM   #109
rmchoi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perforator View Post
Did you replace the Radion's?
My corals were doing okay, but growing very slow. There are so many ways to set LED lighting colors, that I decided to go back to basics and try to eliminate those variables. I replaced the Radions with an old Hamilton metal halide / fluorescent fixture. This MH fixture is temporary, until I can setup a Hamilton CEBU Sun. If my corals don't respond well, then I can eliminate the lights as the issue.

I found you need more LEDs than what the manufacturers recommend for good light spread and to avoid shadowing. This maybe hard to believe, but I use about the same wattage for MH/T5 and I did with the LEDs. Also, I was surprised how bright and clear the MH lighting makes the tank look.

Last edited by rmchoi; 12/28/2017 at 09:38 AM.
Unread 12/29/2015, 11:15 PM   #110
cbnhj
Registered Member

Great start so far! Nice to see stand that's not made strong enough to support a battle ship.

cbnhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2016, 06:10 PM   #111
UFO8MyCow
Registered Member

How did the filter sock silencers work out? I have seen royal exclusives but yours are the only DIY I have seen made.

UFO8MyCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2016, 09:54 PM   #112
Ls2Goat
Registered Member

You wouldn't happen to have any plans drawn up for that stand or say a sketch up for it?

Ls2Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2016, 09:19 PM   #113
rmchoi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO8MyCow View Post
How did the filter sock silencers work out? I have seen royal exclusives but yours are the only DIY I have seen made.
The silencers work well! I really stumbled on to making them. The acrylic circles were leftover pieces from cutting out the holes for the sock holders. Makes sense they perfectly fit the sock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls2Goat View Post
You wouldn't happen to have any plans drawn up for that stand or say a sketch up for it?
I taped papers together and drew a life size cabinet. My skimmer clearance determined the inside cabinet height. Then measured the drawing for the panel sizes.

Last edited by rmchoi; 12/28/2017 at 09:44 AM.
Unread 02/29/2016, 11:37 PM   #114
KeithP
Registered Member

Nice setup. I put my tank on wheels but they had a much higher load rating. I don't have filter socks and am curious how well yours work and if it is worth having the splash chamber instead of just dumping the overflow directly into the sock.

Thanks for sharing.

KeithP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2016, 09:40 PM   #115
Ucantwin
Registered Member

I want to make your exact sump for my 75g. How do you like it and would you change anything looking back at it? Thanks.

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2016, 08:57 AM   #116
rmchoi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithP View Post
Nice setup. I put my tank on wheels but they had a much higher load rating. I don't have filter socks and am curious how well yours work and if it is worth having the splash chamber instead of just dumping the overflow directly into the sock.

Thanks for sharing.
The wheels have saved me three from emptying the tank to relocate. Once to install new flooring under the stand and another to move the tank to a new location. Another to move the stand away from he wall for equipment changes. I don't recommend wheels on thick carpet, but works well on smooth surface like concrete and now, cork flooring.

Filter socks are preference for sure. But when I see how much debris they trap, I can't help to think they improve water quality. Maybe make a place for socks, but only use them as needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
I want to make your exact sump for my 75g. How do you like it and would you change anything looking back at it? Thanks.
The sump design worked well. Two changes I would make is to go with a bigger sump size - as big as you can fit. You forget all the other stuff like probes, dosing tubes and reactors that you think to add later.

Another change is to make the splash chamber bigger. Especially if you have two drains. Keeping the drain lines separate from the socks, makes changing out the socks quick and easy. That alone made it worth separating.

Last edited by rmchoi; 12/28/2017 at 09:13 AM.
Unread 04/17/2016, 02:22 PM   #117
fishy.22
Registered Member

Really nice design and setup. Great planning!
Many of us will benefit from your build pictures.

fishy.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2016, 06:06 PM   #118
Marshall7199
Registered Member

Very nice build. I really like then electrical wire planning and the white interior for enhanced visibility. By the way, what color is the back of your tank; it that a deep blue or black?

Marshall7199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2016, 04:39 PM   #119
rmchoi
Registered Member

Update

I made several changes this year. Stopped Zeovit, filter socks, and dosing. Too many things that needed to be done too often was turning into a burden. I had to rethink things long term to make it sustainable.

So I moved things in a different direction. First I switched to a Lifereef sump and skimmer. Its designed like a "turnkey" system, with all the components fit together in a compact space. Everything is accessible and easier to maintain than my previous sump and skimmer.

Last edited by rmchoi; 12/27/2017 at 04:06 PM.
Unread 11/08/2016, 06:29 PM   #120
rmchoi
Registered Member

Initial set up of Lifereef sump

This is the change over to the Lifereef sump and skimmer.

The yellow pump is a Blue Line system pump. I kept the UV sterilizer, due to outbreak of ich earlier on.

The sump is the CLF1 and skimmer is a VS3-24". The extra large skimmer cup is nice t empty less often. A MagDrive 9.5 pump runs the skimmer. I had to cut away part of the cabinet shelf to accommodate a taller skimmer.

There is a valve for each of the 3 media cylinders to control flow independently. At first, the cylinders were awkward to fill and refill, but found them easier to use over time. Actually they are so simple, there is nothing to break on them.

Lifereef uses is a thick yellow sponge filter and a fiber filter for mechanical filtration. About 7-10 days, rinse the sponge and toss the blue filter. This was way easier replacing and cleaning filter socks every 2-3 days.

Last edited by rmchoi; 12/27/2017 at 04:19 PM.
Unread 11/08/2016, 06:53 PM   #121
rmchoi
Registered Member

CEBU Sun & Apex Autofeeder

The Radions were great lights, but I had trouble searching for the right adjustment for color and intensity. There were too many options. I felt I had to test PAR with each adjustment. I finally decided to go with CEBU Sun metal halide/ T5/ LED combo. At least now I can rule out the lights as a source of any coral issues (other than old bulbs).

Keeping up with feeding became an issue with changing schedules.

I set up an Apex auto feeder. Now I just keep it filled, but I still enjoy watching feeding with occasional nori.

I did not like watching uneaten food floating around then going into the overflow. Using a BAO feeding ring, this is how I modified and attached it to the Apex feeder.

This keeps all the food in place until consumed.

Last edited by rmchoi; 12/29/2017 at 10:33 AM.
Unread 11/08/2016, 08:58 PM   #122
rmchoi
Registered Member

Add Deep Sand Bed Refugium with mangroves

This is one of two refugiums added to the system. Filled a 40G tank with 6" deep sand bed. Then turned the tank into a planter for 4 mangrove trees. Ultimately would like to see these grow into small mature branching trees.

It took many months, but now the deep sand bed keeps nitrates undetectable.

Also in the tank are a pair of clowns, red macro algae and bubble corals.

Lifereef overflow:

Return:

DSB with Mangroves:

Kessel Tuna Sun LED lights and Lifereef overflow. This refugium resides in the adjacent room about 10' apart. It's supply and return lines are tied into the Lifereef sump under the display tank, expanding the water volume to the system.

Last edited by rmchoi; 12/28/2017 at 08:17 AM.
Unread 11/08/2016, 09:28 PM   #123
rmchoi
Registered Member

Add another Refugium for algae

The second refugium added to the system is a Lifereef 24" refugium. This is designed to be placed adjacent to the sump. Due to lack of space under the display tank, this sits below the DSB refugium in the adjacent room. This too is plumbed back to the Lifereef sump.

A Kessil Tuna Sun LED lights this refugium filled with chaeto macro algae. The cheat growth was slow at first, but now grows rapid. The flow in the refugium keeps the cheat ball slowly rotating, then stops spinning when it grows too big.

So far, this seems to keep my phosphates down, lower than they ever have (.006-.007). I thought this would be easy phosphate management, but it does require harvesting and cleaning the fuge at least monthly.

Last edited by rmchoi; 12/27/2017 at 08:41 PM.
Unread 11/08/2016, 10:04 PM   #124
rmchoi
Registered Member

Calcium Reactor

In lieu of dosing pump and containers, I replaced using two part with a calcium reactor. This is a Lifereef LCR2 filled with Two Little Fishes ReBorn reactor media.

I replaced the stock CO2 Gage/Solenoid/Needle Valve Set with a Victor 2 stage CO2 regulator/Burkert solenoid/Ideal needle valve.

Also replaced the stock effluent valve with A Cole Parmer Masterflex peristaltic pump to regulate the effluent.

The new CO2 regulator and Masterflex pump is easy to adjust and accurate.

Last edited by rmchoi; 12/27/2017 at 08:53 PM.
Unread 11/08/2016, 10:27 PM   #125
rmchoi
Registered Member

Tank pics

It took almost a year before the pair of clowns would use the RTBA as host. Now they wont leave it. Shortly after they started mating and lay eggs about every 2 to 2.5 weeks. There is nothing fancy about the clowns or RTBA, but still great to watch.

Here is picture of the clown fish egg developing eyes (silver body with black eyes).

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XmgcbN]

This Wanatabe angel was my favorite fish. Lost her in the last power outage.

Last edited by rmchoi; 12/27/2017 at 08:57 PM.