Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/25/2014, 05:22 PM   #1
IrishTang
Registered Member

Need Help fast! Lobo tried to eat neighbor

Hey hoping for some quick advice. Came home today to find that my lobo had somehow been pushed up against my beautiful ORA pink goni frag. The lobo had covered half the frag in a spider web like substance that I assume was meant to eat the goni, anything I can do? The goni polyps are of course retracted deep into it's skeleton. Can I use a toothbrush to wipe it off? I tried using my fingers and powerhead but the stuff isn't coming off.

Thanks,
Sean

IrishTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2014, 07:15 PM   #2
AJ69
Registered Member

The lobo is snacking on your goni, can relocate either one? Also I will avoid the toothbrush, and keep trying w the PH.

Current Tank Info: rimless cube
AJ69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2014, 07:17 PM   #3
viper12775
Registered Member

not trying to eat it they were the stingers from the lobo trying to kill it

viper12775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2014, 07:29 PM   #4
IrishTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ69 View Post
The lobo is snacking on your goni, can relocate either one? Also I will avoid the toothbrush, and keep trying w the PH.
I moved it immediately. Just gave a very light brush with the side of a soft toothbrush. I'm hoping that since the goni was retracted the polyps will be ok. Only time will tell. Crazy thing to see, as soon as I moved the goni across the tank the Web like material pulled back into the lobo. Thanks guys.

Unread 11/25/2014, 07:33 PM   #5
janes_mw
Registered Member

hope the damage was minimal. I had one chalice dump on other for about 1 hour. The prize "these hills have eyes" lost (about 1/6 of the colony).

300G 96x24x30, BK250 Skimmer with Avast Swabbie, LED/T5, Geo CaRx with Masterflex effluent cntl, Zeovite User - Avast Marine Tumbler, Archon control, Vortech MP60,Tunze 6125, & Jebao RW20 making waves
janes_mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2014, 09:30 PM   #6
asbauto
Registered Member

Roger had a great thread about coral warfare awhile back and I was lucky to be at his house when he discovered it but I don't think the coral survived the attack. Keep an eye on it and be ready to frag if needed to hopefully save it. Might send Roger a pm maybe he can give some good advice to salvage your coral

Unread 11/27/2014, 06:06 PM   #7
IrishTang
Registered Member

So this is the result so far, only the new growth I had had survived. What is the best way to frag what is left?

Unread 11/28/2014, 10:28 AM   #8
anbosu
Registered Member

I would give it time to recover. Not sure about gonis specifically, but a lot of corals will regrow from an area like that given the chance.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote