Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/03/2014, 01:19 AM   #1
Jens9
Registered Member

Anywhere to get pygmy/o.mercatoris?

I know these little guys can be hard to find these days, anyone know a reliable place to get them? I'm around Boise, ID, so probably not anywhere around here.. which will mean shipping.

Getting ready to get into salt water, and really want one of these little guys! So, I wont be ready for 3-4 months to purchase one.

Thanks!

Jens9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2014, 02:06 PM   #2
Biotopes
Registered Member.

http://www.tomscaribbean.com/ and http://www.seasave.net/ had them once.

Do you have experience in freshwater?

And I wouldn't start with an octopus though. They can be pretty difficult. For your first tank I'd go with more community-type fish. I know that a lure to the hobby can be octopi, sharks, seahorse etc But I highly advise you go with another fish to begin with. It is your tank, so do as you wish. But If you choose to go with it, research research research!

Biotopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2014, 07:03 PM   #3
Jens9
Registered Member

Yep, I have freshwater experience. We always had them growing up, and my husband and I have one now.

And I'm aware they are difficult, but coming from exotics, difficult doesn't bother me much. LOL

Jens9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2014, 01:17 PM   #4
Biotopes
Registered Member.

Could you define the freshwater difficulty level you encountered? I was surprised by how much "difficult"s definition changed when I switched over to marine.

They are really cool, but I'd suggest trying out easier animals first, it most likely won't survive more than a year or two. Even in the hands of many experts.

Biotopes is offline   Reply With Quote