Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/29/2012, 12:36 PM   #1
jarrod0987
Registered Member

ID and health help Please.

I got these the other day. They opened the first 2 days I got them but now all closed up for days now. I believe some of the smaller ones are starting to shrivel up. Can someone please help me ID them? When the ends are open they are a green color.

Also I changed the carbon but still they won't open. Too much light? Not enough? Please help?

Tank is 10 Gal but only has 5 small frags in it.
Light is marine land reef capable LED light fixture.
Water parameters
Temp 78.3F
PH 8.1
Salinity 1.025
Alkalinity 11 dKH
Magnesium 1225ppm
Calcium 466 ppm
Nitrates .6 ppm (yes .6 not 6)

jarrod0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2012, 11:39 AM   #2
stlcard
Registered Member

some type of Zoanthid. Did you do a coral dip before you placed them in your Display? They may just still be acclimating.

Zoas are generally pretty hardy, but can be finicky too. Try squirting a small amount of food (Mysis) over them with a syringe to see if that triggers them opening.

also, move the frag somewhere else in the tank. They may not like that flow area.

stlcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2012, 12:28 PM   #3
jarrod0987
Registered Member

I did a water change wich lowered the alk closer to NSW. They are starting to show slight signs of openeing. Are these high light or low light?? I will try feeding them later today. Can you feed them if they were not already open?

jarrod0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2012, 03:31 PM   #4
Fretfreak13
I am not a boy!

They are a low light coral, but I have seen some under MHs before do fine. Very hardy. However, there are a lot of parasites that prey on them. I recommend you dip every coral you aquire before putting it into the tank to make sure any baddies are killed off.

Honestly, you do not need to feed this coral at all. They are photosynthetic, which is why we need special lights over our reefs. yes, it is true sometimes they eat, but in our nano tanks if you're a beginner it is more likely just going to mess up your water parameters. If its already acting stressed, don't try to shove food down its throat. Let it settle down and acclimate itself.

Just keep swimmin'
Fretfreak13 is offline   Reply With Quote