Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/09/2020, 10:07 PM   #1
galoot
Registered Member

5017 malfunctioning?

So I broke down my system today to start my upgrade, setup a temp tank and went to reinstall my Osmolator 3155. Plugged in the system, and the 5017 starting buzzing saying low/no water, never read the water level correctly. Never showed green light, never pumped water. It would start and stop buzzing when I'd move it around. But never worked correctly. Was perfectly fine for all these years prior to moving it today.

Any thoughts? Is it good as dead? probably eight or so years old.

Thanks!

FYI, Found this thread. Trying to save your typing! Sounds similiar to my issues.....

Hi,
I've got a problem, or few, with my osmolator. Might be time to get a new one.
1st issue is the power connection seems loose. I have to wiggle to power to get it turned on.
2nd issue is the 'water high' light stays on solid and 'water low' flashed red, and the pump doesn't work.
Is there anything troubleshooting I can do, or just buy a new one?
I've soaked it overnight in vinegar and still not working...

...This would likely be water damage at the power connection, this is typically caused by the power supply tip landing in a sump or puddle and being plugged in wet. The power supply tip has corroded and replacing it will solve the poor contact, the red too low flashing and red too high solid is the water damage indicator, the controller would have to be repaired to solve this, if the damage is minor they are usually repairable.

Last edited by galoot; 04/09/2020 at 10:15 PM.
galoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2020, 07:32 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Yes, that is the most probable, if it is minor damage and the controller is less than 9 years old, we can likely repair it. Older than 9 years is a different circuitry and issues can be more difficult to repair. Usually what has happened in the power supply tip landed in water and was plugged in wet, the damage is then under the power socket. If you see no damage on the board or just some minor damage around the power socket, it is a good candidate for repair.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2020, 07:51 PM   #3
galoot
Registered Member

I sprayed the plug and terminal on the 5017 with some DeOxit and let it sit all night. Just plugged it in and worked liked a champ!

Unread 04/13/2020, 08:14 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Deoxit is great stuff, I use it here, but be aware that often the tinning is gone on the board, until this is replaced, the issue may return as the exposed copper will oxidize again. Here I unsolder the power socket, I use a pencil eraser or 400 grit to clean off any oxidation and then retin with fresh solder.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2020, 09:56 PM   #5
galoot
Registered Member

Got it...thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk