Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/27/2019, 06:34 PM   #26
DeepBlueSea
Registered Member

4 months after having berghia delivered, eradicate a 120 system full of aiptasia, I Have managed to keep at least 5 berghia alive, while rearing another 10g system full of bleach out aiptasia.

Thinking, I'll have a 4 generation of babies sooner than later.

Good news, Just found a medium sized berghia in the sump of the main display.
Bad news... there are so many bleached out aiptasia in my sump it's unbelievable. LOL

A few visible aiptasia starting to grow back in the main display. Should be interesting to see if the peppermint shrimp and file fish keep them at bay or not.

If I have another generation 'bloom' outside the main display, I should be able to have just the right amount of Berghia's to tackle the next outbreak of aiptasia.

Would be quite happy if in November of 2019, I'm still breeding berghia's and keeping my system relatively visible 'free' of the aiptasia.

DeepBlueSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2019, 05:06 AM   #27
DeepBlueSea
Registered Member

Another note...

I've been treating with Fluconazole to eradicate bryopsis patches for the past 18 days. Therefore, I can confirm that Fluconazole will not kill berghia (at least in 18 days), since I found a good size berghia in the sump last night.

Unread 04/12/2019, 07:30 AM   #28
DeepBlueSea
Registered Member

Good news - April 12, 2019 - I have 6 new berghia egg swirls in the 10g bleached out aiptasia grow out tank.

Going to be placing 4 pieces of egg crate light diffuser material from the sump of the main display, into the 10g system These egg crate diffusers are littered with baby bleached out aiptasia, which will be perfect for the newly hatched berghia to feast upon and mature.

3rd or maybe this is the 4th generation from my purchase of berghia and it hasn't been all that much work.

Main display, I see aiptasia making a comeback. File fish and peppermint shrimp might be doing something, but nothing like an army of berghias do.