Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/17/2006, 09:35 PM   #1
ACBlinky
Premium Member

When good heaters go bad

I nearly lost everything in my 65g the other day. My new colt coral melted away and the finger leather bleached, the branching hammer lost one of its heads and I started to panic. All the tests came out fine, nothing wrong with the water quality, fish were acting a little stressed but otherwise fine (no heavy breathing or anything). I checked the temperature and nearly passed out - 89F!! I double checked with another thermometer, it read the same.

It seems my Ebo-Jager heater must have stuck in the 'on' position, but for some reason the indicator light was off so I had no idea it was on. I generally check the temperature daily, sometimes I miss a day, but that still means it could have been on for as long as 24-48h, thankfully it's only 150W and didn't cook everything.

I unplugged it and the tank has dropped to its usual 82F over several days, everything looks okay so far. Any ideas on a better brand of heater? I was thinking of getting an electronic one (Fluval Tronic) rather than the type that can stick.

ACBlinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2006, 09:48 PM   #2
mako199
Tankless!

I thought the Ebo was one of the better heaters.......guess you cant trust any heater not to stick......got to check temp every day...(only solution). glad you didn't lose everything.

Click the Homepage link for my (just another) 120g in wall thread.

Current Tank Info: 40g Lizard tank
mako199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2006, 08:41 AM   #3
cw150
Registered Member

thats why i use a digital controller so I can at least visibly see the temp every day.

cw150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2006, 09:09 AM   #4
vessxpress1
Premium Member

Yeah, I bought one of those digital big temp alert thermometers with the probe that goes in the tank and mounted it on the wall by the tank. As soon as I walk in the room, from 10 feet away I know what temp the tank is and if there's a problem. I bought it from thatfishplace's catalog. Best 30 dollars I've ever spent. Reads to the 10th of a degree with high/low setting temp alarms to alert you of any problem.

I use a Tronic heater. I always keep a spare on hand just in case. I've never had one stick. They can fail in the off position though.

vessxpress1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2006, 09:54 AM   #5
Craig Lambert
Premium Member

The best insurance policy you can buy for your tank is a controller imo. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg. A single or dual stage can avert a disaster. Here is a link to aqualogic controllers. There are less expensive ones. I believe this one is also sold under another name for less:

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_...ic.asp?CartId=

Current Tank Info: 75G Tank, 29G Sump, 100lbs LR, AquaC EV-180, Iwaki MD-20RT return Tunze nano streams 4X54 t-5/Icecap Ballast & SLR's 2x110 vho actinic
Craig Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2006, 10:25 AM   #6
Ixthys
Premium Member

All good advice.

I use 2 heaters as the one time I had a failure, my heater stopped working and the tanked cooled. I set the 2nd heater 1 degree lower than the main.

I do have a 1hp chiller attached to the tank. If the heater ever got stuck "on", I'm hoping the chiller would fight the good fight until I figured out what was going on.

Ixthys is offline   Reply With Quote