Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/26/2016, 07:10 AM   #1
Dogshowgrl
Registered Member

Any potbelly keepers?

Looking into another tank.... Potbelly seahorse is available right now. I know they need a chiller. I read lower than 65°F? Any other things different than other species? After quarantine I could have a tank ready, but I live in FL and that chiller would be working overtime in my house. I have a chiller on my other seahorse tanks but they are all set around 70-72 and that increase my power bill by about $75 a month (they run a lot) I have always like potbelly, but I think I might have to wait??? But how often are they available to hobbyist?

Dogshowgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2016, 08:10 AM   #2
BlueCat1949
Registered Member

seahorsesource usually has them but if you read the care instructions you will see the they need a large tank which means a very large chiller.

Potbellies like to swim much more than other seahorse species and they are the largest of the Hippocampus so they need a very tall tank, 36 inches, for breeding.

I am interested in getting potbellies myself but not until I can provide for their needs as adults.

Bruce

BlueCat1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2016, 10:49 AM   #3
Dogshowgrl
Registered Member

Thanks Bruce I agree. I have access to everything but the chiller on hand. I think I am going to pass for a bit. I may already have my hands full with my 5 pairs and all the fry and going back to work (I work at a school, summer is almost over) and the rescues I just brought in. I just have an addiction.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Unread 07/28/2016, 08:04 PM   #4
BlueCat1949
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogshowgrl View Post
Thanks Bruce I agree. I have access to everything but the chiller on hand. I think I am going to pass for a bit. I may already have my hands full with my 5 pairs and all the fry and going back to work (I work at a school, summer is almost over) and the rescues I just brought in. I just have an addiction.

I know all about seahorse addiction, I once had 21 seahorse tanks in a studio apt.

Unread 07/28/2016, 08:05 PM   #5
Dogshowgrl
Registered Member

It's nice to not be alone!!!

Unread 09/13/2016, 10:39 AM   #6
cpbartak
Registered Member

You're also best off getting a thick acrylic tank/sump to avoid issues of tank sweating, and to provide thermal insulation so that the chiller doesn't have to work as hard.

cpbartak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2016, 04:56 PM   #7
DanU
Registered Member

Insulating the tanks can make a huge difference. I have pots in two 90 gallon tanks with a single sump. It has a 1/2 hp chiller than runs alot. As an experiment, I set up a 110 tall with the bottom, 2 sides and back insulated with 1.5 inch styrofoam. I also insulated the sump. I put a 1/10 hp chiller on it and it ran about 1/2 as much as the 1/2 hp chiller did on the other two tanks.

Dan

DanU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2016, 04:57 AM   #8
Dogshowgrl
Registered Member

Never thought about that! Cool!

Unread 10/10/2016, 03:50 AM   #9
2smokes
Moved On

Insulate the aquarium with styrofoam and the front of the display with 2 double layers of glass (just like window glass).That way the chiller should consume less current.My own aquarium wich is also a cold water aquarium will be insulated with stirofoam and double glass in the front.Or you could use a plastic (plexiglass ,acrylate) aquarium because that isolates better though not that good as the stirofoam plus double glass display. Also use an economic chiller device like one that has a compressor like a fridge or an air conditioned unit instead of the small chillers with peltier modules.A peltier chiller is verry cheap but consumes a lot of current to cool compared to the compresion type chillers.

2smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2016, 06:32 PM   #10
BlueCat1949
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanU View Post
Insulating the tanks can make a huge difference. I have pots in two 90 gallon tanks with a single sump. It has a 1/2 hp chiller than runs alot. As an experiment, I set up a 110 tall with the bottom, 2 sides and back insulated with 1.5 inch styrofoam. I also insulated the sump. I put a 1/10 hp chiller on it and it ran about 1/2 as much as the 1/2 hp chiller did on the other two tanks.

Dan
What temp do you keep them at Dan?

Unread 10/31/2016, 03:11 PM   #11
DanU
Registered Member

Currently at 67 F. The person I got them from originally at them at 55F.

Dan

Unread 11/01/2016, 04:35 PM   #12
redhorse
Registered Member

Dan,
Is their a behavioral difference from 55 to 67?
Hey Bruce--- Are you thinking about getting some?

redhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2016, 06:41 PM   #13
BlueCat1949
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhorse View Post
Dan,
Is their a behavioral difference from 55 to 67?
Hey Bruce--- Are you thinking about getting some?
Maybe just a pipe dream but I have always loved the way they look. Particularly the ones with the giraffe patterns. My friends at SAseahorse kept their breeders in a 12 foot tank.

Unread 11/07/2016, 08:15 PM   #14
DanU
Registered Member

Slow to reply!

I didn't see them at the cooler temperatures. I do notice a difference if the temp climbs up to 69 to 70. They become sluggish.

Dan