Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/18/2017, 04:09 PM   #1
wicked_chicken
Registered Member

Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 Overflow Box?

Just wondering if anyone has used an Aquamaxx HOB with either an overflow box or a surface skimmer mod, and if so, what they made or found.

Thanks,
WC

wicked_chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 07:41 PM   #2
Mark Bianco
In Memoriam

Skimmers are designed to work a certain way like the length of the intake tube. The only way I see you could get this to work is build a surface skimmer box deep enough to accommodate the entire length of the intake tube. and not have the box to where the output of the skimmer goes back into the box. Otherwise your just recycling the already skimmed water.

Mark

Mark Bianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 08:19 PM   #3
wicked_chicken
Registered Member

That makes perfect sense, and that would be the goal. I've been eyeballing the HOB 1.5 but the RO has a surface skimmer built in. Hmmm.

Unread 11/18/2017, 08:58 PM   #4
Mark Bianco
In Memoriam

When I had my bigger tanks I had a few different RO skimmers external recirc. They were great skimmers, but never had one of their HOB. I have tried several HOB cheap Skillter (not even a good paperweight IMO, then and AquaC the spray injection system was noisy and somewhat finicky. I currently run the Aquamaxx 1.5 for over 6 months on a 40 gl well stocked cube. This is the most hassle free set it and forget it skimmer I have run across. The added god send is it's virtually silent.

Unread 11/19/2017, 07:18 AM   #5
wicked_chicken
Registered Member

That's a good selling point, and consistent with what I've read as well. There's on for sale locally, and I can always try to do something like this:

http://www.3reef.com/threads/diy-sur...chment.135870/

Unread 11/19/2017, 04:58 PM   #6
Mark Bianco
In Memoriam

Very possible that may work, but if it was me I would not glue any of the plumbing at least until you are sure it does effect the skimmer and does what you want it to over a period of time...

Mark