Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/10/2008, 02:03 PM   #201
raaden
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by IrisundUdo
Hello Matt, i dont now if they produce resting eggs i never look at this. I cant test moina with Tiger Pods we dont have these copepods in Germany
IrisundUdo,

Were you ever able to determine if the Moina Salina lay viable resting eggs, and do you know of anyone stateside that has aquired them. I have been on the lookout for quite a while for these with no luck. If you can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Raa

raaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2008, 09:10 PM   #202
dean11111
Registered Member

Thanks for the info, it is great!

Current Tank Info: 55g FW moderately/heavily planted, 29g FOWLR, 20g fw, 10g owned by 1 male betta, and now starting my 75g reef adventure.
dean11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2008, 12:10 PM   #203
timwijgerde
Registered Member

Have people checked out the so-called Golden Pearls?

timwijgerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2008, 01:52 AM   #204
klavestat
Registered Member

Given that most aquarists don't have immediate access to beaches, I don't disagree with individual collectors doing what the previous poster suggested. But I disagree with the proposals that plankton and inverts should be harvested from the wild and sold. They're not endangered because the populations haven't declined - yet. I make frequent trips to Hawaii for work and while diving have seen a noticeable decline due to collection of reef-fishes and tide-pool inverts there over the years. Our hobby definitely can have a negative impact if we're not careful. Additionally, many inshore habitats (particularly tide-pools, mud-flats, etc) are key nurseries for young fish. Again, not a problem if only a few people do this but exporting it in quantity for profit is almost certainly not sustainable. Given many of these critters can be readily grown at home people should be encouraged to pursue aquaculture.

My two cents.

klavestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2008, 02:40 PM   #205
GreshamH
Registered Member

What, checking out Golden Pearls? can you link or quote the post your referring to?

GreshamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2008, 04:33 PM   #206
agsansoo
Premium Member

Otohime is way better than Golden Pearls. IMO !

Current Tank Info: Barebottom, 65 Bow-Front, 20 gal sump/fuge, octo extreme 160, (2) Lumen Max3 250W w/ XM 20k's, 2 VHO Actinic and (1) VorTech MP40w & (1) VorTech MP10
agsansoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2008, 04:56 PM   #207
sandman12
Registered Member

wow I seem to just be digging a deeper and deeper hole as I read on....

I hope to one day have my clowns spawn, when they do I wanted to be ready with rotifers. As I read on here I can't seem to figure out what to do. I was rather set on starting to grow my own phyto (via the book "clownfishes), then I read it is easier and cheaper in the long run to buy instant algea....?

For now I would like to concentrate on growing phyto then move on to rots..

so I guess my question is should I be growing or buying phyto?

Thanks
James

Current Tank Info: 50g CAD lights cube in progress
sandman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2008, 05:46 PM   #208
rkelman
Registered Member

It depends on your budget. I say buy phyto. That being said I'm cheap and I grow it.

rkelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2008, 05:53 PM   #209
sandman12
Registered Member

I am also cheap so it seems the better (cheaper) way to go is to grow it?
BTW I read alot of your thread (that rymes) and seems you starter from knowing very little to be quit successful! I hope I can do the same, how hard is it rasing clowns over all?

Current Tank Info: 50g CAD lights cube in progress
sandman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2008, 05:54 PM   #210
Luis A M
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sandman12

Buying definitely if you only plan to raise clowns by now.

Current Tank Info: I keep about 40 tanks,for breeding and larval raising.Most are 10 gallons.
Luis A M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2008, 08:37 AM   #211
sly fox
Premium Member

great thread... i was wondering if there is something like the zinn reactor available in the states for not mega bucks... i would like a in-stad unit to dose using dosing pumps a small amount throughout the day.. it would haveto be able to be left for say a week if went away....

anything like that around?

sly fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2008, 03:18 AM   #212
JohnnyBassMan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FMarini
I guess you can use a small powerhead, HOWEVER, you got to protect the input from sucking in nauplii.
So IMHO- I would use an airpump and stone
Thanks so much for your articles; I am just getting started with reef tanks.

JohnnyBassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2008, 04:38 PM   #213
r.d.m
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sandman12

Thanks
James
ime iwould do both,i feed the rotifers with reed rotifer diet but also keep a couple of live nanno cultures on the go,i use these to color the larvae tank water a pale green
,this keeps any uneaten rotifers alive,absorbs ammonia and enables the larvae to judge the distance to to prey

r.d.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2009, 10:59 PM   #214
seahorsesteph
Registered Member

This may sound like a dumb question, but I just started my phyto culture a few days ago and i seem to have a problem with it settling after mixing the bottles up. I only disrupt the culture twice a day so it stays settles most of the time. Is this normal?? Could it be due to the fact I have the 2L soda bottles with the dimples on the bottom? Any advice would help!

seahorsesteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2009, 06:52 AM   #215
moumda
Premium Member

Are you aeriating the culture steph? keeping a light amount of air bubbles going keeps everything suspended in the culture.

moumda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2009, 12:01 PM   #216
seahorsesteph
Registered Member

Hmmm....that's weird, I definitely have a constant stream of air bubbles going to my system. I even turned it down to the recommended 10-20 bubbles/second.

seahorsesteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2009, 12:32 PM   #217
Luis A M
Premium Member

I use very strong aeration,a dedicated small air pump for each bottle,no air stones.

Current Tank Info: I keep about 40 tanks,for breeding and larval raising.Most are 10 gallons.
Luis A M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2009, 06:56 AM   #218
skippy12094
Registered Member

Hi again. I just got done reading fmarini's articles on cultivating phytoplanktons, rotofers, and brine shimp. In those articles he talks abou using 2L soda bottles. I understand about areation but do you have to cut the bottom of the bottle off? some images looked like you do, some look like you don't. My next question is about clown fish. I work nights and I work crazy hours. How do I successfully feed my clownfish fry provided I've done everything else right? Do I need someone at my apt. all the time or can I feed them before work, when I get home and again when I get ready to leave again. I work 10- 11 hrs a day? One more question, where is this guy (Fmarini)? he seems smart I think his articles are interesting wonder why he hasen't contributed in a long time???

36 aga bow, 2 true percs., 1 sea bae, 2 bird nests (1brown, 1 green), 1 green mushroom, zoos, green star polyps, about 30 lbs of Florida live rock, sea cucumber, turbo snails, hermits, emerald, scarlet crabs,

Current Tank Info: mini reef setup, 36 bow all glass 150w advanced hqi pendant (1) true perc., (1) Flame angel, Star polyps, kenya leather, (3) Clavularia Corals and a nice assorted cleaning crew
skippy12094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2009, 03:19 PM   #219
billsreef
10 & Over Club

For phyto and rots, keep the bottles intact sitting on their bottoms with the airline going in from the top (neck). For the brine shrimp hatching, typically the bottle is inverted (top down) in some kind of stand, and the bottom cut off. It's the homemade version of what's called an Imhoff cone. With the crazy work schedule, you would probably be best off working out a constant drip of rotifers into the larval tank that you start up each morning.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2009, 11:18 PM   #220
FMarini
10 & Over Club

Cuz he's really busy......

Bills the head kahuna round here now-a-days.

Unread 05/18/2009, 08:48 AM   #221
CLINTOS
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by JHardman
Here is one...

http://www.seahorse.org/library/arti...ulturing.shtml

There was also a presentation at the last big national fish convention (don't remember the name). There was a post on RC about it and where to order the transcript/video of the presentation, but I guess it is older than 6 months or has been deleted as it doesn't show up in a search anymore...

I think that Dr. Frank is going to do one in the future too, not sure, but I think he is.
thank's for the link

CLINTOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2009, 01:07 PM   #222
CLINTOS
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by marineaquariums
is it a pain in the but to grow or is it just better to buy dt's
it's simple and imo is safe and reliable to use if you done your homework and strickly filtered and date/density harvest at the right time with just enough fertalizer daily it is rewarding but there are thing's you have to do in order to use it in your aquarium imo

Unread 05/18/2009, 01:31 PM   #223
CLINTOS
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Mako
Another good reference. FAO FISHERIES TECHNICAL PAPER
will take awhile to go through that thank's

Unread 05/18/2009, 01:40 PM   #224
CLINTOS
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by plankton
nanno setups are very easy to start and fairly easy to maintain. Although mine crashed after 3 months, but I supplied about a 15 miles radius with nano for 3 months. All you need is one nanno disk, some F/2 or equiv, light, air bubbles and a clean environment and you are off. My 100G SPS tank had sponge and feather worms like you would not believe. Plus all that primary food supplied quite a population of copepodes/amphipods, etc.

Go for it!

Mysis shimp are fresh/brackish water. I'd suggest try rearing some ornamental shrimp (peppermints, etc).

Scott
wow more great info I've been doing it the hard way for 5 year's lol I'll be needing some bigger dose's for my 200G instead of my old 20G

Unread 05/18/2009, 02:15 PM   #225
CLINTOS
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Atticus
It is now impossible to use DT's as a starter culture as they have mixed phyto strains. As far as storage even if you could grow it you will not be able to concentrate it enough or strip it enough to get the self life DT's claims.
one of the reason's why i alway's made my own alway's found home made for dosing to be much more reliable imo

also saved this forum to my quick link favorite