Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/19/2014, 06:35 PM   #126
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Wow great build, I only got through the first page, I am going to need some time to go through it.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2014, 08:13 PM   #127
dcmartinpc
Registered Member

13 ply zero void Baltic birch is what you are looking for But... I hate to be "that guy" but I would go back to the stand manufacturer and ask them to fix it. I'm sure that wasn't a cheap solution, and if they were building in camber, they should be able to properly calculate it.

Good luck!!

Current Tank Info: 225G 5x3x2, 2 x 400w Radium on Dual PFO HQI, 2-Blue+, 2-Actinic, 2 x MP40w ES, 2 x Maxspect Gyre and 60 Cube LPS, 6-Blue+, 2-Purple+, 2xMP40w ES. Common 150 Rubbermaid sump. All driven with an Apex.
dcmartinpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2014, 08:32 PM   #128
moondoggy4
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2402476 I am not sure if these will be the correct ballast for your application, but you can check it out.

Unread 04/19/2014, 08:38 PM   #129
moondoggy4
Registered Member

heaters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVANANO View Post
I gathered up and cleaned all the stuff I have leftover from the 120. Not a whole lot but it's a start. I noticed the heaters look different. One is kind of white and the other clear. Would the white be an indication of it being faulty or is that just normal from a different model/production date?

MP40ES
Apex
Eheim Jager 200 & 250w
refractometer

I believe that the gray one is the better older model and the clear one is the cheaper newer version.

Unread 04/21/2014, 10:51 AM   #130
RVANANO
SWAGON

The frame builder is trying to come up with some ideas but short of cutting it apart and re-welding, I am not sure what he can do. So then the best bet seems to be shimming the tank. I have been told shimming the tank itself is a big no no. So then I would assume that serious cabinet grade thin layer ply would be ideal but have been told that's also a no no on a plastic rimmed tank. I need to figure this out asap as the cabinet builder has already been paid and is just waiting on me to get it leveled out.

I am pretty unhappy about all this. And of course the place that sold me the tank closed so now I have no one to go to for expertise advice. I am seriously considering canning the whole project which is devastating considering our family has been waiting for this and I wasted thousands of dollars on something that I will probably only get pennies on the dollar in return.

"Your opinion is appreciated. Unless it's stupid" -Me

Current Tank Info: "Nano" 300 peninsula reef in progress

Last edited by RVANANO; 04/21/2014 at 11:04 AM.
RVANANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2014, 11:06 AM   #131
leveldrummer
Reefer

can the stand builder take a grinder to the inner edge and grind it down till the entire top is flat?

leveldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2014, 11:16 AM   #132
RVANANO
SWAGON

Not a chance. 3" square tubing down a 6 ft run would never be level when tooling by hand. I am not entirely sure my previous theory was correct anyway. It does seem the calculated camber being incorrect is the issue. In theory, yes the builder should be able to fix it but that's easier said than done. And I don't have the funds to pay for another to be built right now.

Unread 04/21/2014, 11:46 AM   #133
SS_Sean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVANANO View Post
Not a chance. 3" square tubing down a 6 ft run would never be level when tooling by hand. I am not entirely sure my previous theory was correct anyway. It does seem the calculated camber being incorrect is the issue. In theory, yes the builder should be able to fix it but that's easier said than done. And I don't have the funds to pay for another to be built right now.
This is false... as a home fabricator, myself, and having been trained by a professional I can say you can sand steel just like you can wood. You just need the right tools to do the job, and level the stand. This is done all the time in the industry. You need to contact a professional fabricator, and have them come out and bid the job. I could make that stand perfectly level just using a pneumatic or electric blocking board, DA, or 6" grinder and flap wheel, a couple of levels, and a ton of patience. Just depends on what you have going. Call in the pro's and keep your hope up.

Unread 04/21/2014, 12:06 PM   #134
RVANANO
SWAGON

Maybe so but if the guy who built the frame doesn't offer that, I cannot justify putting that much more money into the stand. Besides, since the frame has positive camber with a gap of .035 that closes to around .022 or so when filled, it would be hard to make it level with the tooling as you said without several trial fills etc. So the tank would need to come off the frame, be tooled, go back on, filled, checked, so on and so forth.

I am hoping to use marine grade 1" thick ply and shim b/t the frame and the ply. That would the most reasonable and cost effective solution IMO.

Unread 04/21/2014, 12:08 PM   #135
SS_Sean
Registered Member

Just saying there are options for you. You could even use body filler and build up the entire frame and sand it down flat as a board, which would fill in any high spots. Don't give up.

Unread 04/21/2014, 12:19 PM   #136
RVANANO
SWAGON

Yeah the fabricator talked about making a form for the top and laying a few mm's of self leveling epoxy. But then again, that positive camber is screwing that up too b/c once loaded, the surface will change.

Unread 04/21/2014, 02:50 PM   #137
dcmartinpc
Registered Member

He might be on to something with the self leveling epoxy or even body filler.... IF it is applied and then the tank is immediately filled. This would press down on the epoxy/body filler and then let it cure, but it would have to be a slow set epoxy.

I am by no means a tank installer, but these are just my thoughts. I have installed a rimmed tank on a stand topped with plywood. It was 180 gallon. I didn't have any issues, but I used marine grade void-free plywood like yo are talking about. Marine grade plywood is usually made of a harder wood and it much less likely to crush.

Just my thoughts. Sorry about your luck! You are so close, it would be a shame to turn back now...

Don

Current Tank Info: 225G 5x3x2, 2 x 400w Radium on Dual PFO HQI, 2-Blue+, 2-Actinic, 2 x MP40w ES, 2 x Maxspect Gyre and 60 Cube LPS, 6-Blue+, 2-Purple+, 2xMP40w ES. Common 150 Rubbermaid sump. All driven with an Apex.
Unread 04/21/2014, 03:38 PM   #138
RVANANO
SWAGON

I just had a rough day and things were piling on top one after another. I have had a chance to sit back, relax and reflect for a bit. Today I was having flashbacks of all the times I remembered wishing I didn't have a tank. It's also kind of scary setting up a tank this large in a new house. It's hard to keep the faith sometimes when you don't have a nice finished tank to remind you how it's all worth it at the end of the day. It does help that the fabricator told me he will come up with a solution regardless.

Unread 04/21/2014, 04:19 PM   #139
johnike
Moved On

Good deal, Brandon.
I'm kind of dreading my upcoming move, even though it's only across the room.
I was told my stand would be ready when I got to work tomorrow.

johnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2014, 04:56 PM   #140
RVANANO
SWAGON

Fingers crossed for you, John!!

Unread 04/21/2014, 05:06 PM   #141
johnike
Moved On

Wanna come help?

Unread 04/21/2014, 05:12 PM   #142
RVANANO
SWAGON

I am just stopping at total wine to grab some Bell's Two Hearted.

Unread 04/21/2014, 05:14 PM   #143
johnike
Moved On

I'm enjoying a cold Bud and some lovely chocolate.

Unread 04/21/2014, 05:22 PM   #144
RVANANO
SWAGON

Quit trying to woo me!

Unread 04/21/2014, 05:22 PM   #145
Misled
RC Mod

Good luck to both you guys. I'm building mine outta wood.

Unread 04/23/2014, 06:50 PM   #146
RVANANO
SWAGON

Does anyone know if the marine grade ply should be left alone or if it's ok to be cleared? I was going to have the cabinet builder clear it just in case but I cannot find definitive information on whether traditional cabinet ply clear will do. I will see if the builder can check with his supplier just in case.

Last edited by RVANANO; 04/23/2014 at 07:09 PM.
Unread 04/23/2014, 08:25 PM   #147
FloatingFish
Registered Member

I dont know if its ok in your application or not, but I think I would if I was going to do it. When I cleared my stand I used a marine grade polyurethane.

Current Tank Info: None
FloatingFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2014, 08:27 PM   #148
dcmartinpc
Registered Member

I coat my canopies with a marine spar urethane. It works great, it may not be necessary, but I can't see it hurting anything.

Unread 04/23/2014, 08:48 PM   #149
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

The plywood needs to be covered. Marine grade plywood is not treated in any way against moisture, it will rot just like any plywood that is exposed to moisture.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2014, 10:36 AM   #150
KafudaFish
Cyprinius carpio

Man that stinks. Good luck to finding a solution to all of this.

KafudaFish is offline   Reply With Quote