Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2016, 08:24 PM   #51
alexkharden
Registered Member

So, been busy again. I have, built a bench top for the room, patched the holes made by my failed rodi barrel above the tank attempt, painted said holes, made a wheeled dolly for the bottom saltwater barrel for easy moving, installed the polywall around the tank opening, caulked the polywall and the trim around the tank opening, and cleaned up the room, dining room, and my tools.

Remaining is pretty much just caulking and painting the trim around all three areas, installing the tank, installing/caulking/painting trim around the display faces of the tank, and building a scaffold above the sump to stand on during tank maintenance - in that order. After that it's pretty much all aquarium setup and maintenance. I can't believe how much work this has all been. These aren't, quite, "after" pics - but they're pretty damn close.

Anyway, on to the pics.

20160116_225217[1]small.jpg

20160117_200410]small.jpg

20160117_200425]small.jpg

20160117_200447]small.jpg

20160117_200508]small.jpg

alexkharden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2016, 12:21 PM   #52
fscmocsaj
Registered Member

Wow awesome job!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 170
fscmocsaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2016, 12:42 PM   #53
rickztahone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkharden View Post
Thank you for pointing this out to me. Spent some time thinking, and decided to go with this instead.

Attachment 339285

I'm actually going to leave the 2x4's up top to attach grab bars to. that'll give me something to hang on to when I have to lean out across the tank, especially since those barrels going there cut off a bunch of back tank access.

I also pulled the forms off the stand top, and even though I forgot to oil the forms I think it came off pretty darn well.

Attachment 339286

I filled in the couple of cracks and chips with drywall mud, so I should be ready to rock and roll!
That is why we start these build threads right? For advice and pointing out something that you may have missed? I actually thought having the barrel up there was a great idea, but saw the lighting problem quickly after I thought it was a great idea lol.

Quote:
I'm probably also going to need to build a small permanent scaffold above the sump and down the side to have a safe, higher place to stand while working in the tank.

By now Home Depot is worshipping me, and I haven't even started on plumbing the aquarium yet.
I bought so much stuff during my last build too that one of the check out clerks knew me by name.

rickztahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2016, 12:44 PM   #54
rickztahone
Registered Member

Quote:
So, been busy again. I have, built a bench top for the room, patched the holes made by my failed rodi barrel above the tank attempt, painted said holes, made a wheeled dolly for the bottom saltwater barrel for easy moving, installed the polywall around the tank opening, caulked the polywall and the trim around the tank opening, and cleaned up the room, dining room, and my tools.

Remaining is pretty much just caulking and painting the trim around all three areas, installing the tank, installing/caulking/painting trim around the display faces of the tank, and building a scaffold above the sump to stand on during tank maintenance - in that order. After that it's pretty much all aquarium setup and maintenance. I can't believe how much work this has all been. These aren't, quite, "after" pics - but they're pretty damn close.

Anyway, on to the pics.

Attachment 339409

Attachment 339410

Attachment 339411

Attachment 339412

Attachment 339413
I think you did a bang up job in the end. Everything looks nice and neat. When is the tank getting set in?

Unread 01/18/2016, 01:24 PM   #55
alexkharden
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fscmocsaj View Post
Wow awesome job!

Thank you!

Unread 01/18/2016, 01:29 PM   #56
alexkharden
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
I think you did a bang up job in the end. Everything looks nice and neat. When is the tank getting set in?
One of the Home Depot guys asked me if I'd thought about getting a job there, since I likely knew where everything was. In addition to this, I mostly remodeled our house when we bought it 2.5 years ago. Also remodeled/flipped the house we lived in prior to this one. I've probably spent 50k there, easy, in the last 7 years. I was super upset when I realized, after 4 years of major shopping there, that I could've been getting a 10% veterans discount the whole time. probably could've saved a couple thousand. Irritating, but it is what it is.

Tank moving day is supposed to be this coming Friday. Supposedly there are 5 guys coming over to lend a hand, but it's like herding cats, so we'll see.

Unread 01/18/2016, 02:25 PM   #57
rickztahone
Registered Member

Quote:
One of the Home Depot guys asked me if I'd thought about getting a job there, since I likely knew where everything was. In addition to this, I mostly remodeled our house when we bought it 2.5 years ago. Also remodeled/flipped the house we lived in prior to this one. I've probably spent 50k there, easy, in the last 7 years. I was super upset when I realized, after 4 years of major shopping there, that I could've been getting a 10% veterans discount the whole time. probably could've saved a couple thousand. Irritating, but it is what it is.

Tank moving day is supposed to be this coming Friday. Supposedly there are 5 guys coming over to lend a hand, but it's like herding cats, so we'll see.
My friend is a Marine vet. He told me he always asks if they give discounts wherever he goes because he tells me he has been surprised by a few places that told him they do, lol. So, lesson learned, always ask everywhere.

Unread 01/18/2016, 02:53 PM   #58
alexkharden
Registered Member

I know now that Lowe's and home depot both do, and Menards does not.

Unread 01/21/2016, 04:49 PM   #59
alexkharden
Registered Member

Well, all of the caulking is done. No trim painted yet. Also finished cleaning, bleaching, and rinsing the hell out of the 75g sump tank and the 20g qt. The other 20g I have leaks, but I talked to the guy I got it from and he says he'll swap me out with another one, so that's cool. Only thing is, it's drilled, so I'll have to cut a patch and silicone it on to cover the hole. Oh well, it'll only be a qt/ht - I doubt the fish care about aesthetics.

Tomorrow is SUPPOSED to be the big move day, and wouldn't you know it? A freaking blizzard. I say again, a freaking blizzard is supposed to begin tomorrow at like noon. Seriously?

Unread 01/21/2016, 05:25 PM   #60
rickztahone
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, all of the caulking is done. No trim painted yet. Also finished cleaning, bleaching, and rinsing the hell out of the 75g sump tank and the 20g qt. The other 20g I have leaks, but I talked to the guy I got it from and he says he'll swap me out with another one, so that's cool. Only thing is, it's drilled, so I'll have to cut a patch and silicone it on to cover the hole. Oh well, it'll only be a qt/ht - I doubt the fish care about aesthetics.

Tomorrow is SUPPOSED to be the big move day, and wouldn't you know it? A freaking blizzard. I say again, a freaking blizzard is supposed to begin tomorrow at like noon. Seriously?
lol. The best laid plans my friend...

Unread 01/22/2016, 12:16 PM   #61
sixpackgarage
reef mechanic

75 and sunny here in PHX...bwhahhahhaaaahhahahhahhahahah

sorry, had to, I'm from Michigan originally. Love doing that when people talk about snow.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2523500

Current Tank Info: DSA NEO 65G reef powered by Kessil
sixpackgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2016, 12:25 PM   #62
alexkharden
Registered Member

Sir, you suck.

Unread 01/22/2016, 12:31 PM   #63
alexkharden
Registered Member

The "blizzard" actually started at like 6 a.m., but the worst is south of us. We got mostly wind and only about 2 inches. I've been keeping the walks clear and only one guy has cancelled on me. Looks like everyone else is still down to ride, so we might just get this thing done anyway. Screw you weather!

Unread 01/22/2016, 02:23 PM   #64
rickztahone
Registered Member

Quote:
The "blizzard" actually started at like 6 a.m., but the worst is south of us. We got mostly wind and only about 2 inches. I've been keeping the walks clear and only one guy has cancelled on me. Looks like everyone else is still down to ride, so we might just get this thing done anyway. Screw you weather!
Uh oh, you don't want to temp mother nature now do you you?

Unread 01/22/2016, 03:02 PM   #65
alexkharden
Registered Member

I scoff at your blizzard! Scoff, scoff, scoff!

Unread 01/22/2016, 09:35 PM   #66
alexkharden
Registered Member

20160122_191809small.jpg

Have you ever seen anything more wonderful? Ok, well, maybe you have. But after the waiting I've done for this moment it's pretty damn wonderful to me.

So now all is said and done, I see what I hath wroth.

The good. The stand size is perfect, the stand lines up perfectly square along the base of the tank, the tank fits perfectly into the opening with about 1/2" play on either end and 1/8" play across the top, the tank appears to be perfectly level all around with no gaps anywhere along the base, and the overflow opening lines up perfectly with the hole in the stand top.

Now the bad. There really is only one thing that went wrong somewhere along the way. I'm not sure at what point I messed up, but luckily it's only aesthetic and not functional.

I lay bare my sins:

See how the bottom lines up perfectly along the stand top?

20160122_211221small.jpg

Well, take a look at how the top of the tank lines up with the bottom of the top of the opening.

20160122_211227small.jpg

Yes, that happened. The dining room side is a little off, maybe 1/8"at the corner point tapering to 0" at the wall side, but this is probably closer to 5/8"at the corner point - tapering off to 0" on the wall side.

Perfection would have been lovely, but I guess I'll just have to settle for wondrous. I guess I'll have to fix it the best I can with trim and caulk and a little TLC, lol.

Unread 01/25/2016, 10:50 AM   #67
rickztahone
Registered Member

Did you opt for the weather dry wall? Are you concerned with mold on your walls being that close to the tank opening?

Good job getting that in. I'm sure you had a nice blizzard party right after!

Unread 01/25/2016, 10:56 AM   #68
alexkharden
Registered Member

I used poly wall on the inside of the actual opening itself, with composite trim on the inside wall, caulked seams between them. I also installed the humidistat and ceiling fan to control the humidity in the room.

Unread 01/27/2016, 11:54 AM   #69
alexkharden
Registered Member

So now I'm closing in on the finish line. Tank's in and trimmed. Built the scaffold, as well as a hinged landing down the side of the tank, bought some eggcrate, painted some of the polywall blue for use as the tank backing, built trim for that to slide in, cleaned the skimmer, cut a baffle and am waiting for 3 more, , siliconed the overflow cover into place, and painted the sides and back of one of the qt's.

20160127_112337small.jpg

20160127_112400small.jpg

20160127_112440small.jpg

Still need to clean the tank really well, assemble the sump and put it into place, and plumb the whole thing. The main thing holding me up there is waiting on those baffles. I'm also working on figuring out the Apex wiring and how best to mount it.

Maybe another week or two, and then it'll be time for water! We're heading to Florida on the weekend of the 20th in February to get the live LR/LS, so I'll definitely be ready before then.

Can you feel the excitement building!?

Unread 01/27/2016, 12:58 PM   #70
rickztahone
Registered Member

Quote:
So now I'm closing in on the finish line. Tank's in and trimmed. Built the scaffold, as well as a hinged landing down the side of the tank, bought some eggcrate, painted some of the polywall blue for use as the tank backing, built trim for that to slide in, cleaned the skimmer, cut a baffle and am waiting for 3 more, , siliconed the overflow cover into place, and painted the sides and back of one of the qt's.

Attachment 340364

Attachment 340365

Attachment 340366

Still need to clean the tank really well, assemble the sump and put it into place, and plumb the whole thing. The main thing holding me up there is waiting on those baffles. I'm also working on figuring out the Apex wiring and how best to mount it.

Maybe another week or two, and then it'll be time for water! We're heading to Florida on the weekend of the 20th in February to get the live LR/LS, so I'll definitely be ready before then.

Can you feel the excitement building!?
Excitement indeed. I really like how the trimming came out. Way to go.

Unread 02/01/2016, 09:53 PM   #71
alexkharden
Registered Member

Update time!

Holy crap is it a tight fit under there. Today I ran the plumbing for the return and the drains. I wanted to use 45's for the drains, but I didn't have enough height for them so I ended up having to use 90's. I was able to use 45's for the return. It was almost directly underneath the bulkhead, so it almost completely ended up being a stack of fittings with very little actual pipe. I also got me apex mounted and connected to Fusion. I still have no clue what I'm looking at on my laptop screen though. I'll be learning that soon enough. The return into the tank is almost invisible in the pics. I used glossy black Krylon Fusion to match the acrylic overflow cover, and boy did it work. I'm going to let it sit for a week now to let the silicone, pvc cement, and spray paint cure and outgas or whatever it does before I put water in, so hopefully by the end of next weekend there will be water flowing and salt mixing! Anyway, here are some pics.

20160201_213307small.jpg

20160201_213324small.jpg

20160201_213344small.jpg

20160201_213401small.jpg

20160201_213412small.jpg

I gotta couple more pics I'll put into the next post.

Unread 02/01/2016, 10:07 PM   #72
alexkharden
Registered Member

Here's the building and then completion of the sump.

20160130_105036small.jpg

20160131_204929small.jpg

Here's the return line with the T and ball valve to control the flow to the fuge. Also shows the fuge light.

20160201_215532small.jpg

Here's the bulkheads. Like I said, ridiculously tight fit. That's what I get for using a 75 for my sump/fuge, lol. I hated to do it, but I ended up having to silicone the bulkheads in place. I tried 6 different times to get them to seal. Pull them off, clean everything, try again. No matter what I did they kept leaking. (I poured a solo cup of water into the bottom of the overflow each time - just enough to be above the level of the gasket, but not enough to actually start running out of the overflow hole.)

20160201_215541small.jpg

Unread 02/02/2016, 11:29 AM   #73
rickztahone
Registered Member

Very nice. Very tight fit indeed but it will work

Unread 02/02/2016, 06:46 PM   #74
edward1096
Registered Member

wow very impressive build

edward1096 is offline   Reply With Quote