Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/19/2014, 06:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

Par led vs t-5 ho

Hey everyone. New guy here to reefs. I've had an ECORAY 60 over my 29 now for a 5 months. Things grow well, when I measure the par at the bottom of the tank I am hitting close to 325-375 par.

A few days ago I was given a 48" fixture that is running 6 T-5 HO lamps. It's a 48 inch Current USA 6x54W Nova Extreme Pro T5HO. When I run this over my tank and took par readings I was getting a par of 240.

I obviously I get less par with the Nova fixture, but my corals look way better...My zoas and paly's pulse like crazy, my birds nest and slimer polyps shoot out and also the polyps I never see out on my trumpets and candy canes came very far out when I have the t-5 fixture on above the tank.

I'm new to the reef world, so I'm wondering if there is a huge difference in the light spectrum that t-5's put out vs led that my corals seem to be responding to more.

Am I crazy?

1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2014, 07:04 PM   #2
Aqualund
Registered Member

There is a huge difference in spectrum from t5's to Ecoray leds...not all led units, but ecoray, yes.

Additionally, 250 is a very good level to be at...325-375 par at the bottom of the tank means you were around 400-450 where your corals were...which is too high of par from point source lighting for most corals.

Aqualund is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2014, 09:58 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you very much. That makes a lot of sense.

1987 is offline   Reply With Quote