Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/18/2010, 01:44 PM   #1
nanshaw2001
Older newbie

Question What kind of pump required for ato?

We watched a few diy video's and it appeared to be a regular everyday 2 hose air pump. So now we are stumped! Is there a way to make it work with what we have or do we need one that has 2 outlets- one for output and one for suction? Any help greatly appreciated! We are at a stand still. TIA, Nancy

Current Tank Info: 125 Mixed reef, 55 softie tank in the works!
nanshaw2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2010, 02:06 PM   #2
mattsummers
Moved On

all you need is a small power head, put in ro water, hose to tank or sump electrical to valve

mattsummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2010, 02:26 PM   #3
raw88gt
Registered Member

i believe what your seeing in the diy videos is actually called an aqualifter pump

raw88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2010, 02:30 PM   #4
nanshaw2001
Older newbie

More details please! My husband is the electrically/plumbing etc inclined one but he is not an aquarium person...thats me, the ditzy wife! A simple layman's walk thru would be greatly appreciated and if we can use the pump we have, if there is a simpler way or if we need an aqualifter. Many thanks!!!!

Unread 07/18/2010, 02:35 PM   #5
nanshaw2001
Older newbie

These will be the first ato's we have had and they need to be diy for lack of funds. Thanks!!!!

Unread 07/18/2010, 02:56 PM   #6
kevinpratt823
Registered Member

An Aqualifter is fairly cheap($25?). I just have a Maxijet 600 connected to a hose that runs to my sump. The Maxijet sits in a seperate tank I fill with RODI water, and is controlled by a float switch.

kevinpratt823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2010, 03:03 PM   #7
Groundfury
T. B. R. C. Member

All you need is the following items, a float switch, a relay and an aqualifter.
The aqualifter has an in and out so IN would be hooked up to your container of RO water the OUT goes to the tank. Install the float switch in the tank or sump at the water level you want the water to stay at. when the water drops below that level it will turn the relay on which turns on the aqualifter pumping water into the tank till the water level is back up to turn off the float switch... easy as pie.... ummm apple pie....

Current Tank Info: 150g reef, I-tech 200, reeflo Dart, DIY LED's, Tunze 6105, and Apex
Groundfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2010, 03:05 PM   #8
nanshaw2001
Older newbie

Okay, we are thinking he's got it! We have a small old power head. I thought it would be the small air pump type hose we would use but he says it will be a larger hose that will attach at a different place on the powerhead. Like I said earlier this truly isn't my forte. A laymans walk thru of this will help us finish up this project. Thanks for any unout!!!!!

Unread 07/18/2010, 03:06 PM   #9
nanshaw2001
Older newbie

Thanks so much for everyones input so far!!!!!

Unread 07/18/2010, 03:18 PM   #10
mattsummers
Moved On

i would install 2 float switches 1/2 difference in height, in case the first one fails and the tank over flows

mattsummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2010, 06:11 PM   #11
sjm817
On Yer left!

A pump driven ATO has the following components.

1) A container for the water
2) A pump to pump the water to the sump or display
3A) A float switch to control on/off of the ATO pump
or
3B) the ATO pump is metered to approximate the evaporation rate.

Aqualifters are popular because they are cheap ($12), reliable, deliver topoff at a slow rate, can pump limewater without damaging them. You can also use a small powerhead for a topoff pump.

Unread 07/18/2010, 06:55 PM   #12
camelo
Registered Member

you also need to consider were your container of water will be. if its in the basement or far from the display tank you will need a bigger pump.

camelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2010, 09:59 PM   #13
Mike31154
Registered Member

I use a timer, small air pump, 7 gallon glass wine carboy and mechanical float switch (the type used on furnace humidifiers) as my ATO set up. The timer runs the air pump for a few minutes every hour. This pressurizes the glass wine carboy which is tightly stoppered with two rigid air lines through the stopper, one short, one long. The short tube delivers the air to pressurize the container, the long one delivers the water to the mechanical float switch mounted to the rim of the display (I don't have a sump). This provides a nice slow trickle to keep the water level constant and lasts me about 7 days since my system evaporates roughly a gallon a day. It's quite simple and inexpensive, the drawback being it's visible next to the display. The other drawback is that I use two of the glass wine carboys for the ATO (one in use and one standing by) and now I need to buy more for my wine making activities...

If you have the room to situate a top off container above your sump or display, you could even set up a gravity feed ATO and all you would need is the mechanical float switch, no pumps or electricity whatsoever.

Glass top off container, air comes in on tubing on the left, water exits at right. I have a check valve in the air line between pump and container, but with the input tube being very short, the danger of a siphon back to the air pump is next to nil either way.

Mechanical furnace humidifier float switch, fairly bullet proof, hasn't flinched in close to two years. I fashioned the bracket out of scrap acrylic and used nylon screws & nuts to keep it in place. Actually threaded some of the holes in the acrylic using a tap so the screws turn in without the need of a nut.

Current Tank Info: 77g sumpless sw with rock, sand, a few critters, fishes & polyps. Lights, pumps.....
Mike31154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2010, 07:15 PM   #14
nanshaw2001
Older newbie

I feel very appreciative to have had several of ya'll to give easily understandable input! Your efforts..pics, lay mans terms are what makes this such a great board! Thanks!!!!

Tags
ato pump, diy ato