Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/01/2007, 11:42 AM   #1
gig
Registered Member.

Ho Hum, another 180G in wall (pics and need advice)

OK, finally got around to posting pics, the tank has been in process for months, but haven't had much time during the summer to work on it and the recent holiday got me some time to finally finish the plumbing and get water in this sucka!

Right now it's running freshwater with about 60lbs of sand/gravel, I have outputs in the back that will keep the back of the aquarium somewhat clear and bare bottom, with the sand/gravel in the front to give the nice look. If I can find some black PVC, I will change out the pipes going into the tank, as most of them will eventually be hidden by the LR.

Questions for the experts after the pics below

Far view

Close view

Close angle view

Side view from within the tank room

Current Tank Info: Current Tank Info: 180G RR in wall mixed reef moving toward SPS dominated (247 gal total system), 300lbs+ LR, VHO/T5 mix of lighting, X3 MP40w ES.
gig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2007, 11:43 AM   #2
gig
Registered Member.

part II

part II

Sump and Fuge

Sump (30Gal)

Fuge (37Gal)

Pump (Sequence Dart)

Side view unde the tank

Back view of plumbing into tank

So steps to complete:

1) Salt goes in today (monday new years day)
2) Lighting is on order, I plan on going with just 4 6' VHO's for now, building the light fixture this saturday. Will allow for future upgrade to Halides.
3) Initial plan is to go FOWLR and some possible softies, but I don't think I can bite off the cost of the amount of LR I need to get ths going right now. I will likley buy about 25% of the LR once the lighting is in place (I have another 40 lbs in my other tank that I will transfer as well).

In the meantime, should I put anything in the fuge after the salt is in? I have a 55W pc light that will go over the fuge, should I stick that on top with just a piece of LR to get things started?

I have a Bullet skimmer as well, which I will likley add in this weekend.

Thoughts and comments welcome!!!

Current Tank Info: Current Tank Info: 180G RR in wall mixed reef moving toward SPS dominated (247 gal total system), 300lbs+ LR, VHO/T5 mix of lighting, X3 MP40w ES.
Unread 01/01/2007, 12:43 PM   #3
nemonick84
Registered Member

Looks great! I'll be following this one.

nemonick84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2007, 02:05 PM   #4
gig
Registered Member.

thanks nemonick! hopefully can get some more tips from the pros here...it's been along time since a started a new tank up from scratch

Unread 01/01/2007, 02:28 PM   #5
Rock Anemone
S.C.U.B.A. :)

Great looking set-up! You could probably start getting the refugium set-up and running, my only concern would be the macros during any rise in the water quality, I would imagine it should be fine.

Happy New Year to you and your tank!

Current Tank Info: <><
Rock Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2007, 02:29 PM   #6
Navyblue
Low maintenance first

Re: part II

I am no expert, but just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally posted by gig
2) Lighting is on order, I plan on going with just 4 6' VHO's for now, building the light fixture this saturday. Will allow for future upgrade to Halides.
Have you looked at T5 lightings? They are supposed to consume less energy than VHOs.

Quote:
3) Initial plan is to go FOWLR and some possible softies, but I don't think I can bite off the cost of the amount of LR I need to get ths going right now. I will likley buy about 25% of the LR once the lighting is in place (I have another 40 lbs in my other tank that I will transfer as well).
How much LR are you looking at, depending on the look you want, you may be able to get by with around 100 lbs. If you look at my thread below you'd find that I used surprisingly little amount of rock to fill up my 120G (compare post #4 and #8), but that is because I like hollow structure where fishes can swim in and out.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1005119

Quote:
In the meantime, should I put anything in the fuge after the salt is in? I have a 55W pc light that will go over the fuge, should I stick that on top with just a piece of LR to get things started?
It depends on what you are going to achieve with your fuge. If you want it to provide pods for your display puts lots of LR in it. If you want nutrient export puts macro algaes like chaeto in it and put your PC on it. If you want both effects then put both in it.

Navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2007, 02:47 PM   #7
gig
Registered Member.

Quote:
Great looking set-up! You could probably start getting the refugium set-up and running, my only concern would be the macros during any rise in the water quality, I would imagine it should be fine.
Thanks Johnny...

I may do that later this week, it depends on how fast I can get my procrastinating behind to finish the lighting structure. Which I plan on just doing a simple piano hinge + plywood...then connect the VHO's onto it.

Quote:
Have you looked at T5 lightings? They are supposed to consume less energy than VHOs.
Thanks as well Navyblue, my LFS who I trust recommended going with VHO's over T5's because of more bang for the buck on wattage per bulb.

Quote:
How much LR are you looking at, depending on the look you want, you may be able to get by with around 100 lbs. If you look at my thread below you'd find that I used surprisingly little amount of rock to fill up my 120G (compare post #4 and #8), but that is because I like hollow structure where fishes can swim in and out.
I'd like to start out slow, I have 40lbs in my holding tank and can add another 60lbs, that would be a good start.

Quote:
It depends on what you are going to achieve with your fuge. If you want it to provide pods for your display puts lots of LR in it. If you want nutrient export puts macro algaes like chaeto in it and put your PC on it. If you want both effects then put both in it.
Honestly, I am not sure. I had really planned on the fuge begin more of a filter, than a pod producer. So Chaeto was one of the ideas. I may do a bit of both

Unread 01/01/2007, 03:45 PM   #8
GSchiemer
Registered Member

How do you plan on removing the Dart pump for service without flooding the floor? Shoulda placed a tru-union ball valve on the input side of the pump.

GSchiemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2007, 05:51 PM   #9
gig
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by GSchiemer
How do you plan on removing the Dart pump for service without flooding the floor? Shoulda placed a tru-union ball valve on the input side of the pump.
I thought about this....

If you see inside the sump, there is a 90 degree elbow. I simply turn this upward and insert a 1.5" piece of PVC tube above the water level. Then remove the pump. If need be I can siphon water out of that area before I remove the pump.

I really didn't have the room to put a ball valve in there, so I went with this. Thanks!

Unread 01/01/2007, 05:52 PM   #10
gig
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by GSchiemer
also, another option is I need to get a threaded cap. I remove the 90 degee elbow and place a cap over the intake before I remove the pump.

Unread 01/01/2007, 05:52 PM   #11
todd rose
Registered Member

tagging along

todd rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2007, 09:15 PM   #12
gig
Registered Member.

hope I don't dissapoint

oh yeah, salt is in! water is crystal clear now as well! although I overshot a bit on the salinity I wanted...I'll likley pull 5 gal out and use that to change the water on my 45g and replace the 180 with fresh to get it down a bit.

Unread 01/03/2007, 07:30 AM   #13
gig
Registered Member.

Update: So the salt was in for about 36 hours. After about 8 hours the tank was crystal clear. I came home from work yesterday and there is a chalky flim all over the glass (tank, sump & fuge). It wipes away, but what is up with that? Keep in mind the tank is room temp (likely around 70 degree) because the heater I ordered has not arrived yet.

I've never seen this happen, anyone know?

Unread 01/03/2007, 07:39 AM   #14
NanoGurl
Moved On

wow.. that's too cool! Tagging along for sure on this one

NanoGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2007, 03:55 PM   #15
gig
Registered Member.

*bump* anyone got comments on my dilemna? Why the film appeared?

*welcome aboard nanogurl!*

Unread 01/07/2007, 05:28 PM   #16
NanoGurl
Moved On

Thanks

It could be dust from the sand particles..

NanoGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2007, 06:00 PM   #17
Hop
Carpe Noctem!!!

I am betting it is from the sand. For the first few days, I always throw a hot magnum with the micron cartridge on and wipe the film off everything once or twice a day.

It's probably too late, but I too would recommend the T5 fixture. Then you could easily hit the SPS lighting level

As far as the fuge goes, I would leave it empty for now as far as chaeto goes. Maybe some live rock in there... When you start getting some bioload in there is when I would add a small ball of chaeto. And have you thought about adding 60-80lbs of base rock and letting your current live rock seed the tank? You could save some serious cash and if you keep your parameters in check, would not know the difference in six months or so.

Otherwise I was curious if you are getting any micro bubble issues coming out of your return? The dart is a lot of pump for a 12" wide sump. Kudos if you got the design right with no issues

Looks great and seems to me that you have taken your time to get things done right!

Current Tank Info: 300-gallon in-wall system (mixed reef)
Hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2007, 06:59 PM   #18
nemonick84
Registered Member

Sounds like everything is coming along nicely. I agree with Hop - I wouldn't add any macro until you introduce a bio-load. Adding macro now would likely cause it to starve and possibly denature - something you wouldn't want a new tank to deal with.
Can't wait to see updated pics with the LR in! Keep up the good work.

Nick

nemonick84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2007, 07:48 PM   #19
gig
Registered Member.

I thought my thread was dead and buried until I dug it up again

Quote:
I am betting it is from the sand. For the first few days, I always throw a hot magnum with the micron cartridge on and wipe the film off everything once or twice a day.
hhmmm, could be, I am runing two 100 micron filter bags right now, after a week, I took them out and they were VERY stiff. I washed them out pretty good put them back.

I had a hell of a time, getting this stuff off, too some real good elbow grease, still some little streams here and there, but nearly gone. After 24 hours, it has not come back. *yay*

Quote:
It's probably too late, but I too would recommend the T5 fixture. Then you could easily hit the SPS lighting level
Hmmm, I'll ask my LFS about T5's, but I really do trust this guy and I've used several different stores and I really like them. Many of the stuff I've bought from him has been reasonable, my Dart was almost as much s if I bought it online, same with the lights, no huge markup on equipment and livestock

Quote:
As far as the fuge goes, I would leave it empty for now as far as chaeto goes. Maybe some live rock in there... When you start getting some bioload in there is when I would add a small ball of chaeto. And have you thought about adding 60-80lbs of base rock and letting your current live rock seed the tank? You could save some serious cash and if you keep your parameters in check, would not know the difference in six months or so.
Good idea, I might just try and add 25% of what I need from my LFS, then add my rock which is on my holding tank and move the 3 fish in as well all at once. Then gradually add more LR.

For the time being, I may add a piece or two from my holding tank to get the ball rolling and get my Bullet Skimmer running.

Quote:
Otherwise I was curious if you are getting any micro bubble issues coming out of your return? The dart is a lot of pump for a 12" wide sump. Kudos if you got the design right with no issues
nada, zip, zilch ...I got the design from my LFS guy once again, he sells setups (Plumbing and all, dry fitted, cut for extra cost) in this same design, it works beautifully!

Quote:
Looks great and seems to me that you have taken your time to get things done right!
Thanks! yeah, the tank has been sitting empty for nearly a year, talk about procrastination!

Unread 01/07/2007, 07:51 PM   #20
gig
Registered Member.

Thanks as well Nick, I agree. I'll seed with a little LR in the fuge, use my compact PC with a 10K bulb on it as well. Then add the cheto once I feel it's ready.

I'm working with my father-in-law to build a simple canopy for the lights. Shoudl be done next weekend, so I guess we all need to hold tight!

Unread 01/07/2007, 07:57 PM   #21
gig
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hop
And have you thought about adding 60-80lbs of base rock and letting your current live rock seed the tank?
Hey Hop, so are you saying just buy something like what reeferrocks . com sells?

or this stuff?

caribsea base rock

Thanks!

Unread 01/09/2007, 10:27 AM   #22
gig
Registered Member.

minor update

just thought I'd post some more pics with the salt in, so you can see how clear the water is:

Side view, as before just using temporary 30" 55K Compact PC to light this for effect. Real light may go up this weekend.

Front side (with back plexiglass removed, you can see the junk in the back room!)

From the back with the black plexiglass removed to see the room. Some of this is reflection from the lighing behind (holding tank) and some of it is that damned scum I can't get completely off!

Here's a pic of one of two wavemaker dealies I bought, pretty cheap option and they seem to work well. Sorry for the bubbles on them

Finally, the refugium outputs were really loud, so I took two PVC caps, drilled a couple of large holes in them and voila! the tank is pretty quiet for 3600 GPH flowing thru it! Also, less salt spray! which is key, I hate that!

comments welcome!

Unread 01/09/2007, 11:09 AM   #23
RELAD
Premium Member

nice job.... How long did it take you?

RELAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2007, 11:19 AM   #24
Gundo5000
Registered Member

I think it looks really good. One thing about those flow rotators is that they can severely cut back the flow(gph). It might not matter in your case though.

Unread 01/09/2007, 11:20 AM   #25
gig
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by RELAD
nice job.... How long did it take you?
Thanks RELAD...You don't really want to know

The project started last January as we had hired a contractor to finish our "unfinished basement". The plans was for a media room (projector w/110" screen ), a wet bar, full bathroom and an additional multi purpose room with the tank built in, which I plan on putting a modern, yet simple corner desk there so I can work and view the tank as well.

I worked with my contractor on the specs for the 180G tank. I ordered the tank from my LFS and once the tank arrived, my contractor built the stand and electrical work as well as all the finishing to make the outside look pretty.

The tank sat dormant for many months over the summer and fall, I just had no time for it and I was getting frustrated on performing the plumbing work as well. I did buy some stuff and put it together though.

I finally found the time over the Xmas break, finished the plumbing and putting water in, etc. If you take out all my procrastination, it didn't take that long.

thanks!