Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/01/2018, 02:29 PM   #2626
hkgar
Registered Member

What is the PSI, bubble count and effluent pH of your reactor? The flow rate may be just fine.

Tank Alk and is it raising or falling?

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 10:40 PM   #2627
thefuz
Registered Member

Hello all. Been lurking for a long time - thanks for all the contributions along the way to this thread. I'm getting going on my CaRX after a year or so gathering dust beneath my work space.

Reactor: MTC Procal
Masterflex: 7550-30 | 40mL/min
CO2: aquariumplants.com bubble counter | 12psi at 4 seconds/bubble
pH monitored by APEX in line via the feed to the effluent chamber

I wanted to monitor how the pH varies in the reactor prior to starting to make sure my setup is in order.

I've set the bubble counter to cycle at a pH of 7.3. With that setting, pH swings from 7.31 down to 7.13.

This pH swing seems rather large. Should I be making adjustments to tighten this range? I'm considering starting at 6.9 but I do have zeomag loaded also. Just want to make sure I don't make mush before I get things going in earnest.

Thx in advance for the assist!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg phCRx-thefuz-02jan2018.jpg (28.3 KB, 25 views)
thefuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 10:52 PM   #2628
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Hey neighbor, same CaRx running reborn at 6.6 - no mush. I adjust the bubble rate to maintain 6.6 without triggering the solenoid. More stable that way.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 11:54 PM   #2629
Frank@wall
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
You hit the nail on the head.

His pump is a 10-600 RPM motor, not a 6-600 RPM. That head flows at 2.8 ml per revolution with LS24 tubing. At 10 RPM minimum on his pump, that is 28 ml/min minimum with LS24 tubing on that pump.

LS-15 tubing is 1.5 ml per revolution which would get him down to a minimum of 15 ml/min. Seems a change of tubing is in order if the target flow is below 28 ml/min.
Thank you for the breakdown and They have emailed me back and yes with ls24 it's 2.833 ml/min so that is why it cannot go below 30.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Frank@wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 11:59 PM   #2630
Frank@wall
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
What is the PSI, bubble count and effluent pH of your reactor? The flow rate may be just fine.

Tank Alk and is it raising or falling?
Ph in reactor was 6.45 at 30ml/min effluent and tank was at 9.1 dkh.
I raised the reactor ph to 6.7 and my tank is sitting at 8.3 just where I want it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Frank@wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 02:30 PM   #2631
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Hey neighbor, same CaRx running reborn at 6.6 - no mush. I adjust the bubble rate to maintain 6.6 without triggering the solenoid. More stable that way.
+1
The Apex should only be reporting the steady pH not controlling it. Adjust the bubble rate or PSI to get to a stable number

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 01/05/2018, 12:37 PM   #2632
souk
Registered Member

Expecting too much or is this normal? Trying to figure out why my ph is going up even though it's not even hitting 6.5 ph. I thought it was the ph prob so I replaced it 2 days ago. Only thing I can think of is my cheap needle on my reg that's causing it to fluctuate. This morning's report. Running geo 818, m/f 7551-00 with head 77201-60 size 17 tube.

Apex setting off < 6.4 - 6.9 > on

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Unread 01/05/2018, 01:30 PM   #2633
scuzy
Registered Member

Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

Depends on the amount of co2 you are releasing into reactor it's fluctuating but looks normal to me. Think your solenoid isn't going on and off and is constant on position. Looks dialed in correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2018, 01:42 PM   #2634
sfdan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by souk View Post
Expecting too much or is this normal? Trying to figure out why my ph is going up even though it's not even hitting 6.5 ph. I thought it was the ph prob so I replaced it 2 days ago. Only thing I can think of is my cheap needle on my reg that's causing it to fluctuate. This morning's report. Running geo 818, m/f 7551-00 with head 77201-60 size 17 tube.

Personally as long as it seems stable in the long term I wouldn't worry about it, but it certainly is *possible* for the pH to be more stable. Considering your masterflex is probably doing its job I'd have to assume the only aspect which isn't perfectly consistent is the co2 regulator, which is probably the culprit.

But if your alkalinity is staying stable I'm not sure it really matters how perfect your regulator is at dosing co2, as long as it is good enough, and your weekly
pH graph looks pretty darn stable to me.

But for comparison this is my masterflex + carbondoser electronic regulator:

The jump in the middle is when I adjusted the setting, but otherwise if I leave everything alone the pH in the reactor is normally rock solid, only going up and down a minor bit with the natural rise/fall of the tank's pH throughout the day.

sfdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2018, 01:45 PM   #2635
scuzy
Registered Member

Here is mine after a slight adjustment sure to alk intake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2018, 02:51 PM   #2636
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:

Is your controller is shutting the Co2 solenoid off and on? If so, you might be pushing too much Co2 into the reactor. You want just enough Co2 to keep the reactor pH right in the sweet spot so the controller doesn’t have to shut the Co2 off.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2018, 05:50 PM   #2637
souk
Registered Member

Those charts look better then mine. Lol. I would like to dial it down since my alk is dropping at a steady pace. I have a dual stage reg and if I need to get the carbon dose box as a add on I will. From the Jan 1,2,3 day readings has been 8.3, 7.7, 6.8. I have been manually add soda ash to keep it up. The last time I added sode ash was on the 3rd but forgot to test yesterday. Todays reading on alk is 7.3. I'll have to monitor the drop.

Unread 01/05/2018, 05:53 PM   #2638
souk
Registered Member

Quote:
Is your controller is shutting the Co2 solenoid off and on? If so, you might be pushing too much Co2 into the reactor. You want just enough Co2 to keep the reactor pH right in the sweet spot so the controller doesn’t have to shut the Co2 off.
It's only turning off once it hits 6.4. The numbers will go 6.6 and then shoot up to 6.9 then start to come back down.

Unread 01/05/2018, 05:54 PM   #2639
yellojello
Registered Member

Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

Fluctuation of a few 1/100 seems pretty good to me. Since you are “zoomed” in on your numbers, looks like a lot of fluctuation, but zoom out a little and it probably looks like a straight line.

yellojello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2018, 06:46 PM   #2640
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
It's only turning off once it hits 6.4. The numbers will go 6.6 and then shoot up to 6.9 then start to come back down.

Use the compare tab in the CaRx pH grap and overlay the temp on the pH graph. Temp has a direct impact on pH so if your temp is going up and down by even 1 degree, your pH will follow.

If your flow rate is consistent (which it should be with a masterflex) then your Co2 rate is fluctuating (low Co2 pressure in the tank could cause that) or the rise and fall coincides with temp or something else. Could even be something electrical in the tank that is turning on and off. Probe wires should never be run parallel to power wires for example.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 01/06/2018, 10:20 AM   #2641
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:

Change your Apex program to just shut off the regulator if pH gets to 6.3 (lower than that and it can turn media into mush). Watch it for a day and see where it settles out. If tank dKH continues to decrease than increase the PSI or bubble count to lower the pH of the effleunt. If dKH increases than lower the PSI or bubble count to raise the effluent pH. Do not set a high shutoff with the Apex.

Unread 01/06/2018, 10:27 AM   #2642
souk
Registered Member

Quote:
Use the compare tab in the CaRx pH grap and overlay the temp on the pH graph. Temp has a direct impact on pH so if your temp is going up and down by even 1 degree, your pH will follow.

If your flow rate is consistent (which it should be with a masterflex) then your Co2 rate is fluctuating (low Co2 pressure in the tank could cause that) or the rise and fall coincides with temp or something else. Could even be something electrical in the tank that is turning on and off. Probe wires should never be run parallel to power wires for example.
Thanks. I'll try it out later and see what I find.

Unread 01/06/2018, 10:31 AM   #2643
souk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Change your Apex program to just shut off the regulator if pH gets to 6.3 (lower than that and it can turn media into mush). Watch it for a day and see where it settles out. If tank dKH continues to decrease than increase the PSI or bubble count to lower the pH of the effleunt. If dKH increases than lower the PSI or bubble count to raise the effluent pH. Do not set a high shutoff with the Apex.
Thanks for the tip. I'll change it to 6.3 and remove the off line in apex program.

Unread 01/06/2018, 10:44 AM   #2644
ReefPharmer
Registered Member

Not sure how everyone else is dealing with it but i am having trouble with collecting co2 at the top of the Geo 618, running approx 1 bubble per 1.5-2 seconds. The tubing is 17 on a masterflex running at 50 (the number on the screen display). Every 2 days or so i have to prime out the bubble at the top of the reactor as it collects and interferes with the re circulation pump. Its not large enough to stop the pump from working completely but it is large enough to keep it from working properly. My reactor ph is 6.8.

ReefPharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2018, 10:47 AM   #2645
souk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefPharmer View Post
Not sure how everyone else is dealing with it but i am having trouble with collecting co2 at the top of the Geo 618, running approx 1 bubble per 1.5-2 seconds. The tubing is 17 on a masterflex running at 50 (the number on the screen display). Every 2 days or so i have to prime out the bubble at the top of the reactor as it collects and interferes with the re circulation pump. Its not large enough to stop the pump from working completely but it is large enough to keep it from working properly. My reactor ph is 6.8.
Have you rerouted any of the input/output or still like the original setup?

Unread 01/06/2018, 11:00 AM   #2646
ReefPharmer
Registered Member

Quote:
Have you rerouted any of the input/output or still like the original setup?

everything is original. The pump pushes into the reactor and the effluent from the reactor is an open line into the sump. This way there is no resistance w/ fluid going into and out of the reactor (at least thats the idea)

ReefPharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2018, 11:01 AM   #2647
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I think your pushing too much Co2 into the reactor which is causing gas build up in it. That or you have air coming in someplace between the pump and sump. I run at 63ml/min and a Co2 rate of 1 bubble every 3 seconds at 3 PSI. This maintains a pH of about 6.5- 6.6 in a Geo 818 which is much larger than your 618. You are pushing nearly twice as much Co2 with less flow going through a smaller reactor so I think it’s a case of more Co2 going into the reactor than there needs to be and it’s not able to exit quick enough which is resulting in excess Co2 in the reactor.

Unread 01/06/2018, 11:33 AM   #2648
souk
Registered Member

Quote:
everything is original. The pump pushes into the reactor and the effluent from the reactor is an open line into the sump. This way there is no resistance w/ fluid going into and out of the reactor (at least thats the idea)
You are injecting too much co2 or you will have to reroute your tubes. If you decide to reroute and need more help I can post some pix of my setup.

Unread 01/06/2018, 11:47 AM   #2649
LQT
Registered Member

Souk, are you pushing or pulling with your Masterflex through your reactor? I would love to see how you rerouted your lines to avoid bubble build up on the lid of your reactor. This almost seems like a common issue with GEO reactors and would like to see how you addressed this issue. Trying to cover all my bases before I get my Watson Marlow and GEO 612 up and running. Thanks!

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2018, 12:40 PM   #2650
souk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQT View Post
Souk, are you pushing or pulling with your Masterflex through your reactor? I would love to see how you rerouted your lines to avoid bubble build up on the lid of your reactor. This almost seems like a common issue with GEO reactors and would like to see how you addressed this issue. Trying to cover all my bases before I get my Watson Marlow and GEO 612 up and running. Thanks!
I'm pushing but either will do. I will get some pix up for you when I get back home.