Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/06/2018, 12:42 PM   #2651
LQT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by souk View Post
I'm pushing but either will do. I will get some pix up for you when I get back home.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Sweet... Thanks!

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2018, 01:58 PM   #2652
souk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQT View Post
Sweet... Thanks!
Here are a few pics to give an idea. Not the best looking pictures. Lol. 1st pic, swapped out input with ph probe holder. 2nd pic, changed output to feed line. 3rd pic, was ph port which I had to buy a bushing from Menards and tapped with 1/8 npt for the fitting.

This is the way I did it. There might be a better way if doing it.

Unread 01/07/2018, 12:08 PM   #2653
souk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Change your Apex program to just shut off the regulator if pH gets to 6.3 (lower than that and it can turn media into mush). Watch it for a day and see where it settles out. If tank dKH continues to decrease than increase the PSI or bubble count to lower the pH of the effleunt. If dKH increases than lower the PSI or bubble count to raise the effluent pH. Do not set a high shutoff with the Apex.
Thanks again for suggesting to drop it down to 6.3. The chart is telling me that I'm injecting too much. Which route do you think is best, back off on the co2 or add more flow through the m/f?

Unread 01/07/2018, 06:02 PM   #2654
ReefPharmer
Registered Member

So this may be helpful for alot of people or maybe not... i am currently using reborn media. Lets assume that due to my lack of maintenance of the lower levels of media, the reactor clogged up some, causing the recirc pump not to break/push the bubbles enough--causing bubbles to form and ph in the reactor not to drop properly. W/ that said...

How often do you guys clean the reactor? Do you toss old media? Can you just rinse the old media (smaller pieces at the bottom half of the reactor) and use them? Reborn doesnt seem to be all that cheap so thats why i ask. Ty

ReefPharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2018, 09:59 PM   #2655
souk
Registered Member

So after setting my ph in the rx at 6.3 to see if it would plateau but it just wants to go even lower then 6.3. So I decided to check my mag, alk, and cal to see where it's sitting at since the change. Looks like my mag stayed the same at 1380, my alk dropped from 7.35 to 6.85, and cal dropped from 400 to 390.

By dropping my ph in the rx shouldn't my effluent be more concentrated hence raising my levels? Any reason why it would continue to drop?

Unread 01/07/2018, 11:57 PM   #2656
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
So after setting my ph in the rx at 6.3 to see if it would plateau but it just wants to go even lower then 6.3. So I decided to check my mag, alk, and cal to see where it's sitting at since the change. Looks like my mag stayed the same at 1380, my alk dropped from 7.35 to 6.85, and cal dropped from 400 to 390.

By dropping my ph in the rx shouldn't my effluent be more concentrated hence raising my levels? Any reason why it would continue to drop?

You might want to collect some of your effluent, cut it with RO/DI and test it.

The fact that your mag consumption isn’t rising leads me to think that probably calcium and alk consumption isn’t rising.

On a side note, your mag is on the low side and being on the high side, 1500 and above doesn’t seem to hurt anything but if your test kit is off by a bit, low mg can lead to ca/alk precipitation.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2018, 02:19 AM   #2657
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefPharmer View Post
So this may be helpful for alot of people or maybe not... i am currently using reborn media. Lets assume that due to my lack of maintenance of the lower levels of media, the reactor clogged up some, causing the recirc pump not to break/push the bubbles enough--causing bubbles to form and ph in the reactor not to drop properly. W/ that said...

How often do you guys clean the reactor? Do you toss old media? Can you just rinse the old media (smaller pieces at the bottom half of the reactor) and use them? Reborn doesnt seem to be all that cheap so thats why i ask. Ty
I clean about once or twice a year. I don't toss the old media.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2018, 02:21 AM   #2658
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:

Add more effluent and gas. Sounds like you simply aren't driving the reactor hard enough.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2018, 08:04 AM   #2659
souk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Add more effluent and gas. Sounds like you simply aren't driving the reactor hard enough.
I'll crank up the effluent first and see what happens since the co2 still wants to go lower then 6.3. Thx

Unread 01/08/2018, 01:47 PM   #2660
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
I'll crank up the effluent first and see what happens since the co2 still wants to go lower then 6.3. Thx

Part 3 on this site:
http://reef.diesyst.com/reactor/reactor.html
Will give you the adjustments to make, but you do need to determine the dKH of the effluent. What test kit are you using for dKH?

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2018, 01:56 PM   #2661
souk
Registered Member

Quote:
Part 3 on this site:
http://reef.diesyst.com/reactor/reactor.html
Will give you the adjustments to make, but you do need to determine the dKH of the effluent. What test kit are you using for dKH?
Thanks for the site. The test kits that I'm using for dkh is Salifert and Hanna. Both are reading about the same.

Unread 01/10/2018, 02:36 PM   #2662
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the site. The test kits that I'm using for dkh is Salifert and Hanna. Both are reading about the same.
Same two that i use. I like the Hanna as there is less noise from 1 ppm versus .01ml.

I use the Salifert for testing the dKH of the effluent. 2 drops to 2 ml effluent.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 01/10/2018, 03:59 PM   #2663
five.five-six
Registered Member

Funny to note that you haven’t done the latest update either. I read that there are all sorts of problems with it.
Quote:
Thanks again for suggesting to drop it down to 6.3. The chart is telling me that I'm injecting too much. Which route do you think is best, back off on the co2 or add more flow through the m/f?

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 04:17 PM   #2664
hkgar
Registered Member

6.3 is too low. Media can turn to mush at that level. If dKH is increasing increase the dKH of the effluent by either decreasing the bubble count or decreasing the PSI of each bubble. Do not increase flow unless you can no longer meet the demands (usage) of the tank at a pH level of about 6.35

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/

Unread 01/10/2018, 06:09 PM   #2665
souk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
Funny to note that you haven’t done the latest update either. I read that there are all sorts of problems with it.
Currently running the latest firmware and haven't seen any issues.

Unread 01/10/2018, 08:50 PM   #2666
souk
Registered Member

Quote:
6.3 is too low. Media can turn to mush at that level. If dKH is increasing increase the dKH of the effluent by either decreasing the bubble count or decreasing the PSI of each bubble. Do not increase flow unless you can no longer meet the demands (usage) of the tank at a pH level of about 6.35

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/
I'll bump it back up to 6.5 and monitor it. I'll see how the numbers play out. I did bump up my effluent from 38 ml/min to 48.

Unread 01/11/2018, 01:50 PM   #2667
fixmgood
Registered Member

Quote:
Here are a few pics to give an idea. Not the best looking pictures. Lol. 1st pic, swapped out input with ph probe holder. 2nd pic, changed output to feed line. 3rd pic, was ph port which I had to buy a bushing from Menards and tapped with 1/8 npt for the fitting.

This is the way I did it. There might be a better way if doing it.

Souk did this modification solve your problem? I have a GEO reactor with the extra chamber and also getting major bubbles when I up my bubble count in order to achieve the correct ph. If I lower the amount that the Master Flex is pulling rather than upping the bubble count I land up with the same bubble issue.

Current Tank Info: 450g AGE,200 gallon sump, Red Dragon Speedy 230w return pump and closed loop,4 way Ocean Motion,PM Balistic Skimmer.3 Sea Swirl returns.AI Hydra 52HD,Apex contoller. Build thread "The after disaster 650g build"
fixmgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2018, 04:15 PM   #2668
souk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmgood View Post
Souk did this modification solve your problem? I have a GEO reactor with the extra chamber and also getting major bubbles when I up my bubble count in order to achieve the correct ph. If I lower the amount that the Master Flex is pulling rather than upping the bubble count I land up with the same bubble issue.
The mod is just to fix the air issue. My issue is a different thing.

Unread 01/11/2018, 05:01 PM   #2669
fixmgood
Registered Member

Air issue being the bubbles?

Current Tank Info: 450g AGE,200 gallon sump, Red Dragon Speedy 230w return pump and closed loop,4 way Ocean Motion,PM Balistic Skimmer.3 Sea Swirl returns.AI Hydra 52HD,Apex contoller. Build thread "The after disaster 650g build"
Unread 01/11/2018, 06:03 PM   #2670
souk
Registered Member

Quote:
Air issue being the bubbles?
Yes. In your case it could be from injecting too much co2 or air is getting in from one of the fittings or pump. If all connections are good and backing off the co2 is not the answer then you'll have to mod the first tube so the trapped air can vent out to the 2nd tube.

Unread 01/12/2018, 08:48 PM   #2671
Justjohno
Registered Member

I've read through the many pages on this post, which has plenty of good content. I'm new to calcium reactor's and I'm finally going to break down and add to my tank. I have several questions and hope someone can share their knowledge. I have a 120g DT, mixed reef that is SPS heavy. Sad to say, but i probably understand about 30% of what I need to get this setup. I'm looking at the GEO CR612x2, with Electronic Carbon Doser, which I think comes with a regulator. First few post I see a different regulator that is attached to the carbon doser.

I'm looking at the many Peristaltic pumps from that cole parmer has to offer. First post from several brushless pumps are referenced. Those models are very expensive used on ebay, What am I looking for in a pump - brushless? RPM? Does the pump need to be all in one vs. modular?

How much flow do I need going into the reactor? I've read a lot about push / pull. If I plan to pull, do I setup the pump to pull from the top effluent? If I pull with the peristaltic pump, do I need to feed the reactor from my manifold? How much flow is coming from the peristaltic pump and back into the tank?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Justjohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2018, 05:12 PM   #2672
fixmgood
Registered Member

Souk the bushing where the probe is,did you have to replace it.If you did was the original bushing glued in.If it was glued how did you get it out?

Last edited by fixmgood; 01/13/2018 at 05:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Unread 01/13/2018, 08:45 PM   #2673
souk
Registered Member

Quote:
Souk the bushing where the probe is,did you have to replace it.If you did was the original bushing glued in.If it was glued how did you get it out?
The black probe holder screws off and the original 1/2" pvc bushing that is glued on is still there. What you see is a 1/2" nylon screw on that had a barbed end that I had cut off and then tapped with 1/8 for the mur-lok fitting. I also added a black o-ring to help seal it. Not sure if it's needed but wanted to be safe. HTH

Unread 01/13/2018, 11:03 PM   #2674
fixmgood
Registered Member

Souk not sure that we are talking about the same thing. I am talking about where the probe holder is in its new position.The black fitting is 1/2" the bushing is 1/4",did you replace the bushing or drill and tap it? If this needs to be moved to a new thread I will be happy to do so.

Unread 01/14/2018, 12:16 AM   #2675
souk
Registered Member

Quote:
Souk not sure that we are talking about the same thing. I am talking about where the probe holder is in its new position.The black fitting is 1/2" the bushing is 1/4",did you replace the bushing or drill and tap it? If this needs to be moved to a new thread I will be happy to do so.
Sorry about that. If you are talking about the bushing that I circled then mine is 1/2". So no mod on my end. I'm not sure if he changed the fitting on other models but mine is the 818.