Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/28/2018, 11:55 PM   #2826
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCindy View Post
I paid $640 for my 7523-80 on ebay and it arrived a couple of days ago. It looks like brand new! I also ordered and received the tubing and connectors from USPlastics.com I'm so looking forward to getting it up and running.
Awesome, welcome to the club!

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2018, 08:46 PM   #2827
Homey the Reefkeeper
Registered Member

I recently joined the club by getting a good condition 7523-80 Digital Peristaltic Pump off ebay several months ago. I ran it with LS17 pharmed tubing for maybe a couple of months then the unit began throwing error 12 and error 14 which indicates the pump is stalled. I contacted cole parmer support and they suggested I replace the gear kit which I paid $90 shipped and that didn't fix the issue. Now in order to repair it I have to spend $800 to ship it to them which I'm very on the fence with doing so.

As an alternative I got a second 7550-60 pump off ebay again and that unit runs for maybe an hour before I get a "fault" error on the LCD screen. I have to repeatedly hit the start button again to get the pump going. So now I'm shopping for third pump to see if I have better luck.

I hear from most parmer owners that the units are rock solid but that has not been my experience. Maybe it's just user error on my part? I wonder if anyone else has had as much trouble as I with these pumps.

Unread 03/30/2018, 11:59 PM   #2828
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Shipping can be rough on them if the controller isn't packaged well.

If you pull out the gear set on the one that is throwing the stall error can you spin the motor freely?

Does it work with the gear set removed?

Sometimes the bearings go bad and need replacing.

Can you return the second one?

This is one reason I always want people to get a complete unit, run it from day one even if they don't use it on the tank right away. If you make it through the return period without any faults you are usually good to go for a long time. Most of the people selling these don't really know how to fully test them and don't know their history.

Unread 03/31/2018, 12:25 PM   #2829
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey the Reefkeeper View Post
I recently joined the club by getting a good condition 7523-80 Digital Peristaltic Pump off ebay several months ago. I ran it with LS17 pharmed tubing for maybe a couple of months then the unit began throwing error 12 and error 14 which indicates the pump is stalled. I contacted cole parmer support and they suggested I replace the gear kit which I paid $90 shipped and that didn't fix the issue. Now in order to repair it I have to spend $800 to ship it to them which I'm very on the fence with doing so.

As an alternative I got a second 7550-60 pump off ebay again and that unit runs for maybe an hour before I get a "fault" error on the LCD screen. I have to repeatedly hit the start button again to get the pump going. So now I'm shopping for third pump to see if I have better luck.

I hear from most parmer owners that the units are rock solid but that has not been my experience. Maybe it's just user error on my part? I wonder if anyone else has had as much trouble as I with these pumps.
It seems to be a story of lightening striking twice. It would shake your confidence.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2018, 09:47 PM   #2830
zip70
Registered Member

how come Cole Parmer website did not find this model number 900-1255.
see pic

Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (97.4 KB, 33 views)
zip70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2018, 11:48 PM   #2831
stephj03
Registered Member

Anybody take the box off of their AP regulator and connect it to a true dual stage? I have a dual stage airgas reg. Is there a benefit to this? Is it literally as simple as unscrew from the AP ref and screw into the airgas reg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stephj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2018, 10:53 PM   #2832
balz3352
Registered Member

Can we sticky or make a new thread on how to actually set up and fine tune.

How to increase/decrease alk in tank depending on the situation.

What increasing/decreasing the effluent will do.

What increasing/decreasing ph will do.

All in relation to the tank.

Best place to start for a new reactor and how to adjust from there.

I know the answers are here but hard to find in a 2800 post thread.

Thanks guys!

balz3352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2018, 11:42 PM   #2833
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephj03 View Post
Anybody take the box off of their AP regulator and connect it to a true dual stage? I have a dual stage airgas reg. Is there a benefit to this? Is it literally as simple as unscrew from the AP ref and screw into the airgas reg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, that is all you need to do. As described in the first few posts that is as far as I am concerned the ultimate setup for a reactor. It works great.

Unread 04/07/2018, 11:47 PM   #2834
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balz3352 View Post
Can we sticky or make a new thread on how to actually set up and fine tune.

How to increase/decrease alk in tank depending on the situation.

What increasing/decreasing the effluent will do.

What increasing/decreasing ph will do.

All in relation to the tank.

Best place to start for a new reactor and how to adjust from there.

I know the answers are here but hard to find in a 2800 post thread.

Thanks guys!
It is in the first few posts. I can update the tuning post to be more clear but I would prefer to keep all posts regarding this setup in this thread. Yes, it is long, but starting a new thread would require a lot of explaining. If you have any questions or comments on how you would like to see the tuning post adjusted let me know, and I will see if I can incorporate it.

The first few posts in this thread tell you what you need to know. Every tank will be the same, tank has x demand, you adjust gas and effluent until demand is met. The reactor setups can vary brand to brand but the actual tuning is the same. That is what is brilliant about the setup, very easy to dial in, and very precise/predictable.

Unread 04/07/2018, 11:49 PM   #2835
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip70 View Post
how come Cole Parmer website did not find this model number 900-1255.
see pic
Model numbers starting with 900 are custom ordered products. They more than likely cannot tell you what it is. Anyone ordering a 900 series part number can figure out what it is with pictures but please only buy complete units as firmware can vary between them and it may not be possible to find matching hardware in modular units.

Unread 04/08/2018, 07:28 AM   #2836
balz3352
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
It is in the first few posts. I can update the tuning post to be more clear but I would prefer to keep all posts regarding this setup in this thread. Yes, it is long, but starting a new thread would require a lot of explaining. If you have any questions or comments on how you would like to see the tuning post adjusted let me know, and I will see if I can incorporate it.

The first few posts in this thread tell you what you need to know. Every tank will be the same, tank has x demand, you adjust gas and effluent until demand is met. The reactor setups can vary brand to brand but the actual tuning is the same. That is what is brilliant about the setup, very easy to dial in, and very precise/predictable.
No problem. In the first few posts there really is no infor for starting a new reactor. Only integrating, at least from what I understand. Id appreciate that.

Maybe start at xbubbles and y ml effluent. Or stsrt at z ph and y ml. Then to increase alk of the system decrease ph or increase ml.
To decrease alk in tank increase ph or decrease ml. (or both)

Something like that.

I guess what I'm really asking is that I don't fully understand how to completely fine tune a system and what to do when demand increases or decrease in the tank.

Last edited by balz3352; 04/08/2018 at 07:34 AM.
Unread 04/08/2018, 08:46 PM   #2837
zip70
Registered Member

Quote:
No problem. In the first few posts there really is no infor for starting a new reactor. Only integrating, at least from what I understand. Id appreciate that.

Maybe start at xbubbles and y ml effluent. Or stsrt at z ph and y ml. Then to increase alk of the system decrease ph or increase ml.
To decrease alk in tank increase ph or decrease ml. (or both)

Something like that.

I guess what I'm really asking is that I don't fully understand how to completely fine tune a system and what to do when demand increases or decrease in the tank.
This link can help you to start from the beginning.
http://reef.diesyst.com/crarticle/crarticle.htm

Unread 04/09/2018, 03:03 PM   #2838
M3P
Registered Member

I've been struggling with steady effluent for a while and after a ton of reading on using Dos, Kangaroo, Masterflex, etc I decided to pull the trigger and join the club. Grabbed a 7523-70 with an easy load. Hopefully this was the right decision. Already have a AP reg set and a lifereef calcium reactor. wooh!

Follow the reef on instagram: thepolypdoc
M3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2018, 05:18 AM   #2839
zip70
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCindy View Post
I just joined the Masterflex club! Yippee! Found a 7523-80 on eBay. I also ordered a new carbon doser regulator from BRS. I've been having some trouble dialing in my Inovative Marine calcium reactor. These two items should really help.
Any update on the pump? It worked for you?

Unread 04/10/2018, 06:20 PM   #2840
M3P
Registered Member

Question: Since I purchased a 1.6-100 RPM brushless motor, am I better off going with bigger size tubing to cut back on how fast I have to run the motor and how noisy it gets or should I be ok with the 1/4" tubing?

Follow the reef on instagram: thepolypdoc
M3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2018, 02:51 PM   #2841
balz3352
Registered Member

Im having the hardest time keeping bubbles from collecting in my reactor.

I can completely purge the reactor for what I can tell but after a few hours i have a big bubble at the top and my recirc pump is pumping a big mixtue of air and water.

Initially I was doing effluent at 40ml ive uped it to 80. But of course with the increase in rate i have to increase the bpm or size.

Im using the carbon doser and a geo 612x2 reactor

Unread 04/11/2018, 06:03 PM   #2842
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Im having the hardest time keeping bubbles from collecting in my reactor.

I can completely purge the reactor for what I can tell but after a few hours i have a big bubble at the top and my recirc pump is pumping a big mixtue of air and water.

Initially I was doing effluent at 40ml ive uped it to 80. But of course with the increase in rate i have to increase the bpm or size.

Im using the carbon doser and a geo 612x2 reactor
It’s pretty simple. Your issue is definitely one of the following. It’s up to you to figure out which one it is.

A) You have a vacuum leak on the circulation pump or it’s intake connection to the reactor or intake side of the Masterflex pump.

B) You are picking up microbubbles from inside your sump via the intake tubing for the Masterflex pump

C) You are putting in more Co2 than the output rate of your Masterflex. It might help to recalibrate your pH probe to be certain that’s not part of the issue. I run at 65ml/min on my Masterflex and 1 bubble every 3.5 seconds at 3PSI to maintain about 6.75 pH in my reactor. If you have too much Co2 going in compared the flow rate of the Masterflex then you will build upon excess gas in the reactor and if your pH probe isn’t calibrated properly then you will get erroneous pH readings leading you to add too much gas. Then you have a double edge sword because the excess gas in the reactor will create bubbles in the probe tip that impact the pH readings inside the reactor. Shaking the reactor when purging the air/gas will help remedy that but you should double check your probe calibration with some pH 7 solution to see what the probe reads.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2018, 08:45 PM   #2843
zip70
Registered Member

how much should i offer?

if the ebay seller post 7523-70 with 7518-10 pump head for $565, then how much should i offer?
the other is 7523-60 with easy load 3 was $495, then how much should I?
TIA.

Unread 04/19/2018, 05:39 PM   #2844
earwicker7
Registered Member

Looking to hop on the peristaltic train... do either of these look like a good deal?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cole-Parmer...19.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cole-Parmer...19.m1438.l2649

earwicker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 01:42 AM   #2845
jolliolli
Registered Member

Questions on L/S7551-00

I’m wondering if anyone can help me on a few questions. I’ve got an L/S 7551 that I have been using to feed my deltec calcium reactor (pf501) with an aquarium plants carbon doser. I had a power surge which affected the pump and now it blows a fuse every time I power it on. Questions:

1. Does anyone have a secondhand circuit board I could buy to replace the one I have?

2. I’ve been using a dosing pump in the interim. One thing I have liked is that my pH is no longer depressed (even with co2 scrubber it was constantly low). Has anyone used one of these pumps as a dosing pump instead of with a calcium reactor?
3. What would I need to do to convert my l/s pump to a multichannel pump? I have an easy load head would I need different heads or can I stack multiple easy load heads. Do the heads run independently?

jolliolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 03:02 AM   #2846
networkcrasher
Registered Member

For 2, are you running the pump like a traditional dosing pump as an on/off schedule, or constantly? Curious what you’re seeing related to pH as I have a scrubber on my skimmer and still get .3 ph swings from 7.9-8.2ish max. As far as using it as a dosing pump, guess it depends on what and how much you need to dose as it’d be continuous, unless you’re switching power on and off to it from an apex.

For 3, if there’s only one motor, not sure how the heads could run independently.

networkcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 08:20 AM   #2847
Krazie4Acans
Registered Member

for 3 you can stack upto 4 heads (maybe more but I've seen 4 stacked) the issue is that they are all driven from the same moter and are all driven at the same time and the same amount so you couldn't use that setup as a multi-channel doser like the ones with multiple heads.

Krazie4Acans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 01:28 PM   #2848
jolliolli
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkcrasher View Post
For 2, are you running the pump like a traditional dosing pump as an on/off schedule, or constantly? Curious what you’re seeing related to pH as I have a scrubber on my skimmer and still get .3 ph swings from 7.9-8.2ish max. As far as using it as a dosing pump, guess it depends on what and how much you need to dose as it’d be continuous, unless you’re switching power on and off to it from an apex.

For 3, if there’s only one motor, not sure how the heads could run independently.
I haven’t tried to use it as a dosing pump yet - but if I was going to I would run it intermittently rather than constantly. For my pH it typically swung between 7.6 and 7.9/8 and that was running a co2 scrubber and a second media filled chamber. With the dosing pump I have been using pH has consistently been between 8.15 and 8.3/4 and the growth has sped up.

Unread 04/20/2018, 01:30 PM   #2849
jolliolli
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie4Acans View Post
for 3 you can stack upto 4 heads (maybe more but I've seen 4 stacked) the issue is that they are all driven from the same moter and are all driven at the same time and the same amount so you couldn't use that setup as a multi-channel doser like the ones with multiple heads.

Ah ok, that is what I thought the problem might be, so that rules that option out.

Unread 04/20/2018, 05:11 PM   #2850
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Planing to setup my new geos 6x18 calcium reactor with a secondary chamber. Its a little too big for my tank which is 90 gallons acro only system but I have plans to upgrade later this year .
Got aquarium plants regulator and waiting to get my masterflex pump.
I know people often recommend to pull water from the reactor than to push it with masterflex.
Stupid question but please help me understand how do you pull water ?

Do you pull the water with masterflex pump by connecting to the input of the masterflex pump to the effluent line and then have a maxijet to push water into the reactor ? I believe i should match the masterflex rate to the feed pump ?

Sorry for such basic question !

Regards,
Abhishek

abhishek@1985 is offline   Reply With Quote