Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/10/2018, 12:14 PM   #3076
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
I’ve got a GEO 8x18 that has the JG fittings and it’s currently just circulating saltwater through it without CO2. For the extremely unhandy folks, can you point me to a diagram of how to hook up the masterflex pump? Any recommendations for the masterflex pump these days? Thanks
Sure, give me a little time and I'll see what I can find!

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2018, 01:06 PM   #3077
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
I’ve got a GEO 8x18 that has the JG fittings and it’s currently just circulating saltwater through it without CO2. For the extremely unhandy folks, can you point me to a diagram of how to hook up the masterflex pump? Any recommendations for the masterflex pump these days? Thanks
Do you need quiet operation or is it going into a fish room?

Unread 09/10/2018, 01:11 PM   #3078
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Do you need quiet operation or is it going into a fish room?
Fish room

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 12:22 PM   #3079
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Unfortunately both of these are 100rpm but... they are brushless. I don't have any relation or contact with the seller, never bought from these people before. As always read the fine print, I can't vouch for anything here. Prices are good.

This one comes with a head wouldn't work with the tubing listed in this thread, you would need performance tube. It's a newer drive though.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Masterflex-...QAAOSwnntbntKW

This one is listed with a bunch of brushed drives for the same price. I'd definitely offer lower, seller doesn't know the difference.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/COLE-PARMER...ry!80228!US!-1

Unread 09/28/2018, 09:46 AM   #3080
Normski619
Registered Member

Would a CP Masterflex L/S Rigid PTFE-Tubing Pump Head Model# EW-77390-00 with a Masterflex L/S Digital Drive Model#EW-07522-20 work?

Normski619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2018, 10:15 AM   #3081
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normski619 View Post
Would a CP Masterflex L/S Rigid PTFE-Tubing Pump Head Model# EW-77390-00 with a Masterflex L/S Digital Drive Model#EW-07522-20 work?
It might but not sure why you would want that head. It's max flow rate is .22ml per rotation using 6mm tubing so at full speed on that 600RPM pump, you would be looking at 132ml/min. While 132 is higher than you would need, you would be running that motor much harder than ideal even for normal operating rates.

That is a great pump and I would stick with a standard LS head that supports LS17 tubing. A head like the 7518-00 or 7518-10.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2018, 05:51 PM   #3082
scuzy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
I recently switched from a Reef Octopus reactor to an Aquamax3. I use a Cole Parmer 7523-80 with a 7518-00 head and an Aquarium Plants regulator. My flow rate is 90ml/min. What is the drawback to colled rolled steel rollers?

With the Reef Octopus the reactor ph held very steady but with the Aquamax the ph continuous swings. Not much but a variance of .03-.04 (see attached graph).

The other change was from using ARM media to now a combination of Arm and Newborn.

I know the variance is small but I think it is making more difficult to maintain my tank dKH.

For me the arm media were terrible and won't dissolve correctly. I dumped it and use all reborn media and the pH is very constant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2018, 03:39 PM   #3083
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
For me the arm media were terrible and won't dissolve correctly. I dumped it and use all reborn media and the pH is very constant.

I agree. I am only using the mix of both because I had 1/2 canister of ARM. I had to really get the ph low for it (ARM) to dissolve.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2018, 04:26 PM   #3084
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I still use what MTC recommended for their reactors.
Carib-Sea Florida crushed coral.
Cheap & works.

Unread 10/05/2018, 02:57 PM   #3085
thi7b
Registered Member

Hi All, I'm about to setup masterflex pump. I have a GEO 618 with AquariumPlant regulator on my son tank. I want know what PSI and SPB setting on the regulator. I read earlier in the post that someone says they set it between at 4-5 PSI and have the reactor PH set at 6.5. What effluent rate should I start with per minute? I like to keep the Alk in the tank around 8.
Appreciated for the help.

thi7b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2018, 11:48 AM   #3086
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thi7b View Post
Hi All, I'm about to setup masterflex pump. I have a GEO 618 with AquariumPlant regulator on my son tank. I want know what PSI and SPB setting on the regulator. I read earlier in the post that someone says they set it between at 4-5 PSI and have the reactor PH set at 6.5. What effluent rate should I start with per minute? I like to keep the Alk in the tank around 8.
Appreciated for the help.
Every tank is different. My tank uses 3+ dKH /day and I rum my pump at 110ml/min and reactor ph at 6.45 (currently)

Have you been dosing? If so, what and how much? You can use this cacluator to determine settings to replace dosing.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 10/06/2018, 11:58 AM   #3087
thi7b
Registered Member

I been using the calcium reactor with a feed pump. The effluent rate is a slow stream but it keeps getting clogged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Every tank is different. My tank uses 3+ dKH /day and I rum my pump at 110ml/min and reactor ph at 6.45 (currently)

Have you been dosing? If so, what and how much? You can use this cacluator to determine settings to replace dosing.

thi7b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2018, 12:07 PM   #3088
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thi7b View Post
I been using the calcium reactor with a feed pump. The effluent rate is a slow stream but it keeps getting clogged.
Measure the flow rate from the feed pump and set the Masterflex to that and leave the regulator settings alone.

Unread 10/08/2018, 08:11 PM   #3089
gdemos
Registered Member

Quote:
Let me take a look tomorrow but I think you're head is fine. Some pump drives require what is called a "long shaft" pump head but I don't have any personal experience with them. If it was working fine before something funky is going on.

Hey Mark you refer to the “long shaft” pump head which sounds to me may ne necessary for this 7550-60??

Essentially the play in the fly wheel shown in pics allows belt to slide on the shaft creating just enough distance between the male tab end of the pump head to the female-shaft that it skips
And doesn’t turn the tubes. So longer tab on end of pump head may keep
Contact?

Otherwise If i could get a bushing on the shaft to force the shaft closer to the pump head and eliminate the play on belt wheel...any ideas for a bushing?

Ive been running my backup mflex while this 7550-60 is down but still want to fix it!

ALSO I continue to have lid leaks on the reactor- very discouraging- is there reallu that much pressure/ suction created in this system that a normal lid would leak? Im letting the now-westmarine 5200 sealed lid cure before powering up the waterblaster for reactor circulation

Thoughts on bullet proof reactor lids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gdemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2018, 09:16 PM   #3090
zachtos
Registered Member

How to use APEX to remote control the effluent rate of your CaRx with a MasterFlex Cole-Parmer Pump. I am using Model 7523-60 -10-600RPM with easy Load 2 type 17 tubing.

1. -cut the end off an ethernet cord and strip the orange and blue/white wire
2. -insert the blue/white wire into a DB15 breakout connector (amazon) or directly into the hold. Pin 1 is blue/white (+ speed) pin 3 is (GND).
3. -turn off the masterflex
4. plug in the cable to the APEX port 1 of 0-10V control and other end into the DB15 of the masterflex
5. hold mode while you turn on your masterflex, release when see inP
5. press up/down until see 0-20 then press mode
6. press up/down until see 0-10 then press mode
7. pump will now start based on your apex speed, which is very fast at 100%, now we need to tweak it down for max
8. hold mode while press flow
9. now see LOW press down to your lowest desired speed, now press flow
10. now see HI press up to your highest desired max speed (safety), press start.

You should now be able to go into your apex and bump speed up and down on your variable speed channel 1. You will see the flow rate change on your masterflex as you do so. Now you can adjust your effluent remotlely, and if you also use the ph probe to control your CaRx solenoid, then you have two ways to tweak your alkalinity while on vacation... this of course is in preparation for the release of the TRIDENT if using a CaRx.

*Note, as long as you have a remote control option on your masterflex, you can adapt the pins as found in your manual online.

Instructions

Front Panel

Connector

Rear Panel

Current Tank Info: 300G reef under construction
zachtos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2018, 11:20 PM   #3091
scuzy
Registered Member

Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

I just read the manual for the 7522-20 and 7523-80 with wiring diagram for the dm25 is pin1 0-10v pin 3 is ground is anyone is thinking of using the apex to control the masterlex.

Thanks for the info @zachtos

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2018, 12:33 AM   #3092
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachtos View Post
How to use APEX to remote control the effluent rate of your CaRx with a MasterFlex Cole-Parmer Pump. I am using Model 7523-60 -10-600RPM with easy Load 2 type 17 tubing.
Awesome dude! Nice work!

Unread 10/09/2018, 12:34 AM   #3093
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdemos View Post
Hey Mark you refer to the “long shaft” pump head which sounds to me may ne necessary for this 7550-60??

Essentially the play in the fly wheel shown in pics allows belt to slide on the shaft creating just enough distance between the male tab end of the pump head to the female-shaft that it skips
And doesn’t turn the tubes. So longer tab on end of pump head may keep
Contact?

Otherwise If i could get a bushing on the shaft to force the shaft closer to the pump head and eliminate the play on belt wheel...any ideas for a bushing?

Ive been running my backup mflex while this 7550-60 is down but still want to fix it!

ALSO I continue to have lid leaks on the reactor- very discouraging- is there reallu that much pressure/ suction created in this system that a normal lid would leak? Im letting the now-westmarine 5200 sealed lid cure before powering up the waterblaster for reactor circulation

Thoughts on bullet proof reactor lids?

The long shaft is much longer than the normal unit. The cog sticking out of the back of the pump head is about an inch long, give or take. So I don't think that would be it.

What page is your previous post on? I forgot about this, sorry!

That said I have no experience working on belt driven units. Everything to date I've worked on was gear driven.

Unread 10/09/2018, 03:14 AM   #3094
gdemos
Registered Member

Quote:
The long shaft is much longer than the normal unit. The cog sticking out of the back of the pump head is about an inch long, give or take. So I don't think that would be it.

What page is your previous post on? I forgot about this, sorry!

That said I have no experience working on belt driven units. Everything to date I've worked on was gear driven.

My post was #2726

gdemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2018, 01:35 PM   #3095
Krazie4Acans
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachtos View Post

1. -cut the end off an ethernet cord and strip the orange and blue/white wire
2. -insert the blue/white wire into a DB15 breakout connector (amazon) or directly into the hold. Pin 1 is blue/white (+ speed) pin 3 is (GND).
3. -turn off the masterflex
Just to clarify for those that looked at the pictures compared to what is written. The two wires needed from the Ethernet cable as the Orange/White (orange with white stripe) and the White/Blue (white with blue stripe) The original post has the stripe color first and the main color second (or doesn't have the stripe color in the case of the orange).

Hope that makes it more clear for anyone reading the post and then looking at the pictures.

Thanks zachtos for the work and for posting it.

Krazie4Acans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2018, 09:30 AM   #3096
biglurr54
Registered Member

I am setting up a Kalk reactor on my reef. I have a Cole Palmer 7520-00 driver and a 7518-00 head. I am looking to drip Kalk 24/7. I would like to drip approximately 1.5 gallons of kalk a day. I did the math and it looks like I need to use L/S 14 equivalent tubing at a rate of 18 RPM to be in the ball park. Is this an appropriate set up. It will be located in the fish room in the basement so noise isn't a concern. What is a good L/s 14 equivalent tubing for my head? Also, where can i get connectors to go to regular air line hose? Thank you for your help with this.

After this project, I'm moving on the a CaRX!

biglurr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2018, 12:45 AM   #3097
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Here is the LS14 Equivalent.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...5398&catid=864

I have the peristaltic tube to John guest but not to 1/8" ID tube.

I'm sure you can find some from usplastics.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 10/31/2018 at 12:51 AM.
Unread 11/05/2018, 11:46 PM   #3098
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdemos View Post
My post was #2726

I really have no idea what is going on here. I have no experience with pumps that have a belt drive system... I don't think a new head will help you solve the issue. Maybe you need to find a brass washer to put in it to take up some slack. Otherwise I think it's time to replace the unit...

Last edited by tkeracer619; 11/05/2018 at 11:51 PM.
Unread 11/05/2018, 11:52 PM   #3099
tkeracer619
Registered Member

One of you guys bought a drive a long time ago with one of those crazy multi cartridge pump heads. Any chance you're following this thread, see this post, and still have it? Long shot... but just checking. Please send me a pm if you do.

Unread 11/08/2018, 12:22 AM   #3100
awais98
SPS

Quote:
One of you guys bought a drive a long time ago with one of those crazy multi cartridge pump heads. Any chance you're following this thread, see this post, and still have it? Long shot... but just checking. Please send me a pm if you do.

Had it, did not work well for cont water change and had sold it expensive on eBay

Current Tank Info: 240DT SPS DOMINANT
awais98 is offline   Reply With Quote