Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/16/2018, 06:21 PM   #1
RioReefr
Registered Member

thoughts on using chaeto in AIO

I had an original plan to add a refugium to my AIO tank, but never got around to doing the plumbing.

Any thoughts in just placing the chaeto into the 3rd back compartment and placing the plant LED light inside there? Right now, the only thing in the 3rd compartment is MarinePure and it is way down at the bottom.
I could probably shove a cup-worth's of chaeto down in there and DIY the LED light so there no light creep into other parts of the tank.

Just curious if approximately 2 fist-sized balls of Chaeto would do any good for nutrient export?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chaeto_AIO.jpg (24.4 KB, 24 views)
RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 06:47 PM   #2
Joe0813
Registered Member

I did that with my wives tank. don't know if it worked or not, we bought her a redsea 170 with the sump

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 07:00 PM   #3
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Chaeto needs quite a bit of room to stretch out and grow to really be effective. You could try it, but I don't think you'll see much of a change. (if any) The pods will love it though.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 07:18 PM   #4
RioReefr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSimmons View Post
The pods will love it though.
I bought one of those refugium packages...chaeto, copepods, amphipods. Right now, my "offline" refugium is thriving with pods.

I was thinking if this 3rd compartment had MarinePure, Chaeto....then that would give all those pods a safe-haven and actually do some good for the DT.

Right now, I have an airline in that offline refugium. Would it make sense to put this same airline into that 3rd compartment?

Unread 08/17/2018, 08:27 AM   #5
Aquavaj
Registered Member

I got maybe a gallon size ziplock bag of chaeto from a local reefer awhile back for free. Stuffed it down my compartment (5"x4") on top of a few Marinepure cubes. I'm not too diligent about testing so I can't really say if it's helping or not. I think it is growing because I see it overflow from the compartment now and then and I have to push it back down but it could just be the water current pushing it up. I don't know.

Aquavaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 09:00 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquavaj View Post
I got maybe a gallon size ziplock bag of chaeto from a local reefer awhile back for free. Stuffed it down my compartment (5"x4") on top of a few Marinepure cubes. I'm not too diligent about testing so I can't really say if it's helping or not. I think it is growing because I see it overflow from the compartment now and then and I have to push it back down but it could just be the water current pushing it up. I don't know.
In one month a gallon of cheato thats growing "well" should very easily be nearly 5 gallons or more..

Unread 08/17/2018, 09:31 AM   #7
AZReef13
Registered Member

I have an IM 40, I put an InTank media basket, with the new IM cheato red light on chamber one. I don't see the growth that mcgyvr is stating, not sure enough water movement. I'm more using it to house pods for my Captive breed Mandrin who is thriving, and growing.

As for water I see good test result, but not sure its from cheato, or other media I'm using.

Not sure this helps?

AZReef13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 08:37 AM   #8
Joe0813
Registered Member

my cheato doesn't grow at all for my 180 gallon. I just stays the same size

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 04:59 PM   #9
RioReefr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0813 View Post
my cheato doesn't grow at all for my 180 gallon. I just stays the same size
my chaeto almost doubles in size every week. I am using this 24W LED Plant light:

https://www.amazon.com/ACKE-Fixtures...=plant+led+24w

I also run an airline hose (set at the lowest level) so it puts some bubbles into that tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Uniclife-Aqua...r+pump+airline

Once a day,I turn the Chaeto over on its other side.

I have read that Chaeto needs to have some water movement either by manually turning it over or using a small pump to make it tumble.