Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/22/2018, 04:46 PM   #1
bobfish4black
Registered Member

Metasorb

Has anyone used Metasorb to remove Aluminum from there tamks, just got an ICP test back with high Aluminum results 0.104 ppm.

Current Tank Info: 187 Gallon reef tank, ZeoVit with Vibe, Apex classic, Jebao DCS 12000 return pump, custom180 Euro-reef skimmer with Mazzi venturi and mag 18pump, Lighting-2 60" XHO blue reefbrites , with 8x60" T-5, 3 Maxspect Gyre XF150
bobfish4black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2018, 10:49 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

I haven't seen any reviews of that, at least not that I can remember. It might be fine. I am not sure that the ICP test results for trace elements are accurate enough that I'd worry. Is some animal having a problem? A PolyFilter is another idea that you could consider.

Unread 05/22/2018, 11:38 PM   #3
bobfish4black
Registered Member

Am looking to try and remove the aluminum if I can, two little fishes claim it will.

Current Tank Info: 187 Gallon reef tank, ZeoVit with Vibe, Apex classic, Jebao DCS 12000 return pump, custom180 Euro-reef skimmer with Mazzi venturi and mag 18pump, Lighting-2 60" XHO blue reefbrites , with 8x60" T-5, 3 Maxspect Gyre XF150
Unread 05/23/2018, 03:08 AM   #4
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

I'd be curious to know the source. If not removed it will only rise again.

There's been a lot of talk recently whether or not Marine Pure's Bio Media leaches aluminum into the water. Some say yes, others no.

Do you by chance run this?

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 10:32 AM   #5
bobfish4black
Registered Member

I know what the source is, and yes I believe it to be marine pure, what it is is I want to control the amount there is, so again my question is has anyone had experience with Metasorb?

Unread 05/23/2018, 11:23 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

I suspect that the product is fine, but I don't remember any reviews of it. Sorry!

Unread 05/24/2018, 05:42 AM   #7
eraser2001
Registered Member

I used for 1 week on my tank and removed, but I need to send again my water for test to see if it removed the aluminum.
I will send the water samples next week.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

eraser2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2018, 08:45 AM   #8
bobfish4black
Registered Member

ok sweet

Unread 05/27/2018, 10:38 PM   #9
Yellow_donkey
Registered Member

Hey, so I had AL for about a year, and I knew it but my ICP-OES confirmed it. You know sometimes you just know it. Well, we have all read the articles about Chinese equipment, pump shafts leaching and all of that so I was worried where is this coming from. Well, one night, just like any other maintenance night I finally found it. It wasn’t a bolt, a washer, screw, magnet, no... it was a media rock bag (good bacteria surface area in sump), of 8 zipper bags, one had a zipper, well they all had zipper, all white but only one had a white zipper that was pitted. I look at this thin and frantically grab it and yank it out of the tank (like the year it sat in there 10 extra seconds would matter). So, like I said I had 8, more then I needed but I wanted seed bags if I needed to setup a hospital tank or whatever, and I knew the zipper bags were from about 3 different sources, this one being a single bag and one of the 1st I bought. it was painted white and although you could tell it was a metal zipper, I just blocked it in my head, as if it was a plastic zipper like all the others I owned. In fact, I had done my last water change two days before this and had a little saltwater mix left over and took those bags out of the sump one by one and swished them in the leftover batch water to clean them out of any build up. So I had handled that bag several times in that year, saw it every time I worked on sump and just never, I mean never registered until it hit me like a ton of bricks.

So I was having slow coral growth it was obvious and some corals had poor extension. I took that out, did a 50% the next day and accelerated my next 2 water changes, just did them sooner, so I did like 150% in the next 3 weeks or so and haven't looked back since. Once those Al levels started to drop, you see the encrusting, literally and you could see the full extensions I was missing. This was a super clear case of finding the source even though it was right in front of me I had to dig for it.

So walkthrough your equipment look at every piece and think to yourself, what is this made of and could any part of it leach.

Your tank will be a different tank once you get those heavy metal out.

Also, I have a new story about RODI, adding a pump if PSI below 60 from muni supply and Anion and Cation pre beds before your mixed bed DI. My test results showed 0s across the board for my RODI sample to aside from sky high Silicone, which is a source for silicate which we all know feeds algae and diatoms. Well I had a bloom after I tried to get by with a 2 TDS batch of water and it went nasty, like a newly cycled tank, diatom blooms, couldn’t believe it. And I knew it was the RODI, nothing else was changing. So I added a booster pump and anion and cation beds, and wham my sand is white as clouds and algae has disappeared.

These tests tell you the outliers, you need to dig, find and remedy the causes. And when you do you can create something really spectacular. Good luck!