Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/22/2018, 07:17 PM   #1
Valentini89
Registered Member

Angry Lost 8 of my 14 fish to velvet.

So yeah it struck hard and spread fast. Before I had knowledge of this disease half my fish were gone. The went from dusty white with cloudy eyes to dead in no time. I happened to be on vacation still when this whole velvet thing started. We have consulted the LFS and received medication, to try and save the remaining fish, which include a sailfin and yellow tang. It took my naso and kole. Does velvet affect inverts? I haven't seen my blue starfish lately. I figured it was just hanging out behind the rockwork.

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2018, 07:26 PM   #2
Valentini89
Registered Member

I meant to post this in the discussion section, not newbies..

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Unread 05/22/2018, 09:03 PM   #3
allendehl
Registered Member

Oh crap. Sorry to hear. Any ideas how it made it into your tank.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 12:19 AM   #4
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentini89 View Post
So yeah it struck hard and spread fast. Before I had knowledge of this disease half my fish were gone. The went from dusty white with cloudy eyes to dead in no time. I happened to be on vacation still when this whole velvet thing started. We have consulted the LFS and received medication, to try and save the remaining fish, which include a sailfin and yellow tang. It took my naso and kole. Does velvet affect inverts? I haven't seen my blue starfish lately. I figured it was just hanging out behind the rockwork.
It wont infect inverts. But blue starfish (i assume a linckia) is good as dead anyways.

Whay is the medication you are given and using? I believe it is either something that will not cure velvet, or something that is not intended to be used in the DT.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 02:13 PM   #5
Valentini89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allendehl View Post
Oh crap. Sorry to hear. Any ideas how it made it into your tank.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I am assuming velvet made it into the tank via the starfish addition, since everything was fine before I added it. Yeah it's definitely a wake-up call to evaluate my procedures, adding members to tank and such. I didn't isolate the star before adding to DT bc I didn't think I needed to. I thought you only isolate fish before adding. Maybe even after over a year of reefing I am still a newbie. I can accept that. I've had my 26g crash and a mass die off of my 150. Things have have to start looking up because I'm not giving up.

Unread 05/23/2018, 02:28 PM   #6
Editour2
Frank

There is a fish disease forum here on RC that you can post on. Sorry for your losses...you should quarantine everything....fish, coral etc. Hope you can save the rest of your livestock.

Current Tank Info: 215 gal DT, 125 gal sump, 40 gal refugium w/ATS, 20 gal frag tank, reeflo orca skimmer, Knop HD calc reac w/2nd chamber, BRS dual reac, dart rtn pump, 2x tunze 6105's on seasweeps, 2x jebao PP20's, 30gal QT, LED/T5 Ltg, 1/2 hp aqualogic chiller.
Editour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 03:00 PM   #7
allendehl
Registered Member

Wow...good luck!!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2018, 12:13 PM   #8
eastlake
Registered Member

When was the last fish addition, and do you quarantine fish? It's possible that your fish were asymptomatic, at least to your eyes, and that when the conditions were right to lower their immunity enough that the parasite was able to take hold. A lot of times the parasites will only be able to infect the gills of the fish and be able to maintain in small enough numbers to not be eradicated but also not be able to spread like they want because its host is otherwise healthy enough to produce enough of a slime coat to fend off the free swimming stage on the body. With that all being said it is certainly possible that the velvet came in with the starfish instead of on it. If any of the free swimming parasites happened to be on the starfish, rather than attached to the starfish, its certainly possible that was the route of introduction. Does your local store keep fish and inverts in the same system? I know you've already spoken to the/a store and they know that it's in your system but if it was the same store that you got everything from it may be worth it to let them know to keep their eyes peeled for any symptoms. If at all possible, it would be worth it to remove the fish from the display and get them into quarantine so that you have a smaller volume of water to treat, or if that's not feasible maybe it would be easier to remove the inverts to a quarantine so as not to expose them to the medication/treatment procedure as anything that will be strong enough to wipe out velvet will also kill your inverts/coral. Sorry for the extended post, hopefully something I said will help out. Good luck, marine velvet is a bear to deal with.

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2018, 07:49 PM   #9
Valentini89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastlake View Post
When was the last fish addition, and do you quarantine fish? It's possible that your fish were asymptomatic, at least to your eyes, and that when the conditions were right to lower their immunity enough that the parasite was able to take hold. A lot of times the parasites will only be able to infect the gills of the fish and be able to maintain in small enough numbers to not be eradicated but also not be able to spread like they want because its host is otherwise healthy enough to produce enough of a slime coat to fend off the free swimming stage on the body. With that all being said it is certainly possible that the velvet came in with the starfish instead of on it. If any of the free swimming parasites happened to be on the starfish, rather than attached to the starfish, its certainly possible that was the route of introduction. Does your local store keep fish and inverts in the same system? I know you've already spoken to the/a store and they know that it's in your system but if it was the same store that you got everything from it may be worth it to let them know to keep their eyes peeled for any symptoms. If at all possible, it would be worth it to remove the fish from the display and get them into quarantine so that you have a smaller volume of water to treat, or if that's not feasible maybe it would be easier to remove the inverts to a quarantine so as not to expose them to the medication/treatment procedure as anything that will be strong enough to wipe out velvet will also kill your inverts/coral. Sorry for the extended post, hopefully something I said will help out. Good luck, marine velvet is a bear to deal with.
Thanks for the advice. It is much appreciated. Hopefully it is just knowledge to put away and I won't see a velvet outbreak again, as it has now claimed all but three of my fish. In the future I will be more vigilant and watchful. I have hope for the future though, after all of my unfortunate losses and the disease runs it's course, the LFS is going to help us replace the fish. I also have a reefbreeders photon v2 on the way :-)

Unread 05/27/2018, 06:08 PM   #10
monkeysee1
Registered Member

Sounds like the velvet was introduced from the residual LFS water with the starfish, rather than the starfish itself.
You should try to save your last three fish by putting them in quarantine and starting Chloroquine phosphate IMMEDIATELY, if you haven't already. Keep treating according to directions EXACTLY and then see what happens. If they make it keep in quarantine for AT LEAST 8-10 weeks while your DT runs fallow.
Next time quarantine EVERYTING - including starfish and other inverts, and yes - corals as well. You can't be too careful.
Sorry for the loss of your fish.

monkeysee1 is offline   Reply With Quote