Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/17/2004, 08:19 AM   #51
Joey French
Registered Member

I have not tried to start a culture with dts, but I am fairly certain you can start with it, but it will become a monoculture.

How big of a deal is over-fertilizing? Could a few drops extra make that big of a difference?

Joey French is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2004, 11:13 AM   #52
rsman
Registered Member

DTs... What's the worst that can happen -- it'll crash?
yep thatll be the worst thing, the reason I said you might stay away from it, instead of saying you cant, but there is a chance YOU cant but might be an equal chance one of the other algaes will take over, and YOU might be able to culture that.

you can buy a running culture from many ppl on RC cheap.

How big of a deal is over-fertilizing? Could a few drops extra make that big of a difference?
generally no, it could cause the culture to grow to fast

Unread 03/21/2005, 10:56 PM   #53
Haggisman14
Registered Member

This might sound stupid to you that have been culturing for a long time...but how do u keep the temp of the bottles around 78-80 degrees....does having the light close enough to the bottles keep it warm?

I'm thinking of starting my own culture to feed my tank.

Are there visible differences in the "happiness" of your tank when you feed phyto, compared to when you don't. Also does feeding phyto and rotifiers go hand in hand...r rotifiers kinda like pods more or less? Thanx.

Marc

Current Tank Info: Oceanic Biocube 29 Gallon, Kessil A160WE LED Light, inTank Media Basket w/Chemipure/Purigen combo
Haggisman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2005, 12:00 AM   #54
rsman
Registered Member

first off most algaes we grow intentionally dont do that well at 78-80F most do best between 70 and 74

as for how to keep them that way, an easy way is to put your bottles in a tank with a heater, but its anoying so adjusting the distance from lights and stuff works good also

rotifers are small plantonic inverts they use phyto plankton for food, many corals eat rotifers, phyto also gives food to copepods, amphipods ciliates all of which corals and fish eat

Unread 04/14/2005, 05:39 PM   #55
PrivateJoker64
Moved On

Reviving the thread.

I have doubts about using tap water. My house is plumbed with copper pipe, as so many are. Can the copper become an issue in the tank?

PrivateJoker64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2005, 07:42 PM   #56
melev
Moved On

I would say no.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2005, 09:33 PM   #57
PrivateJoker64
Moved On

Thanks, Marc. I'm going to give it a try.
Nice website, BTW.

Unread 04/14/2005, 10:08 PM   #58
melev
Moved On

Thanks.

Unread 04/15/2005, 05:01 AM   #59
nickb
Registered Member

Randy Holmes-Farley has raised concerns with copper levels in tap water, mainly associated with copper pipe. This article discusses the isuse (about half-way through):

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2004/chem.htm

nickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2005, 11:37 AM   #60
rsman
Registered Member

that article doesnt really apply to this as much as inverts, the issue is that algaes use copper, whats missing is how much copper can they use vs how much do you have, and how much does your fertilizer have. any more and you get copper in your water, and not enough means unreliable results its one reason to always use specifically prepared fertalizers

Unread 04/15/2005, 04:11 PM   #61
nickb
Registered Member

Sorry, I misunderstood the original comment. Back to lurking :-)

Unread 04/15/2005, 04:33 PM   #62
PrivateJoker64
Moved On

My concern is not the copper killing the phyto, but the copper build-up in the reef tank. After reading that article about the possible higher levels of copper, I think I will stick with using RO-DI water, plus the recommended additions of fertilizer and trace elements. Fingers crossed!

Unread 04/15/2005, 05:31 PM   #63
melev
Moved On

I think that RO/DI water lacks the nitrates and such that phyto needs. Keep in mind that I crashed a lot of cultures before using RO/DI, so you might have the same problem.

If you are overly concerned about copper in the water, test your source water. Turn on the faucet, let it run a minute, then use the fresh water instead, rather than water sitting in the pipes for a duration.

Unread 04/15/2005, 10:31 PM   #64
PrivateJoker64
Moved On

Yes, the RO-DI does lack everything, but isn't that the reason for adding Kent Trace Elements and fertilizer as you suggested?
Like you, I used to do fine with RO-DI and FAF fertilizer, but then the cultures started crashing, and I gave up in disgust. I'm going to give it another try using Miracle Grow and Kent trace elements as you suggested.
BTW, Phyto Feast is raw sewage, as near as I can tell. Stay away from it!

Unread 04/15/2005, 10:34 PM   #65
PrivateJoker64
Moved On

Also, I just tried to sterilize an empty 2-liter bottle in the microwave by putting a little water in it and laying it in the mw on its side with the top off the bottle. I succeded in melting down the bottle. I'm sure it's sterile now, but it's also flat.
LOL

Unread 04/15/2005, 10:56 PM   #66
melev
Moved On

I decided to not go that far with sterilization. I've used very hot water, vinegar and water, and even bleach and water. Now what I tend to do is rinse the bottle out well, and leave it open in the garage to dry out until I finally need it. That seems to help even though technically anything could crawl in there. However, there is no smell of the previous beverage in the bottle doing it this way, and my cultures haven't crashed any more.

At our recent meeting, two people asked me to bring them a bottle full. Another member came up to me and stated that his was darker. I joked that mine was much darker, and he suggested we have a competition. It was all in good humor, because neither of us even showed the other their culture. Later, one of the recipients of my culture told me mine was much darker and the other guy had to concede.

I'm really not like that, and didn't pursue the competition, but I am glad that I can actually grow this stuff successfully again, finally!

Unread 04/16/2005, 07:32 AM   #67
moumda
Premium Member

I use the water change water from my tank and boil it making sure it gets to at least 160 deg f. I was culturing with 2 liter pop bottles but have switch to glass wide mouth 1 gallon jars and am having much better luck. Use FAF F2 fertilizer 2 ml per bottle and start new culture with 1/4 gallon from old culture. Glass needs to be cleaned with muric acid every other batch. Date my cultures and never let them go more than 1 week. Have 5 gallons going at once and supply local club with phyto they need ($2 for 16 oz bottle and $8 for 2 liters). Forces me to do water changes in my tank and keeps me in frags at local club meetings.

moumda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2005, 07:45 AM   #68
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

About a tablespoonful of bleach in a 2 liter bottle left for about 30 minutes should disinfect the bottle in most cases. Rinse it well and let it dry to make sure it is free of chlorine residuals. Don't use declor on the bottle as it may have bacteria in it if it has been stored for any amount of time.

If doing the microwave trick don't put water in the bottle. Just microwave it for about a minute dry. The micro-organisms you wish to eliminate already have water in their cell structure and it will boil during microwaving and kill them. I think the steam is what melted your bottle as I tried this with a dry bottle and it made it through the process fine.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2005, 02:15 PM   #69
PrivateJoker64
Moved On

Yeah, I'm sure it was the steam.
I thought it was bad to run your microwave without something in it to absorb the energy. Do you put a cup of water in there with the bottle?

Unread 04/16/2005, 04:59 PM   #70
Kathy55g
Moved On

So Mark, what did you do differently that led to your recent success?
Thanks,
Kathy

Kathy55g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2005, 06:51 PM   #71
melev
Moved On

Kathy, when you read this page, look at the section dated 1-20-05 for the new method that works. My cultures have been bubbling for 3 weeks straight, and are long overdue to split. I just haven't done it. I'll do it tonight though.

http://www.melevsreef.com/phytoplankton.html

Unread 04/16/2005, 08:07 PM   #72
Kathy55g
Moved On

Thanks Mark.

Kathy55g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2005, 09:04 PM   #73
DrBDC
Registered Member

Waterkeeper, my gallons only hold 3.78 liters too! I think we're getting ripped off at the pumps!

Current Tank Info: 180g sps+75 softy/lps on one system tunze's, seio's, mjmods, aquacontroller w/add ons, 2X400 XM10000 and 3X160 vho actinic, 110g sump, 110 frag tank, Geo Beckett and other stuff
DrBDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2005, 11:40 PM   #74
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

I heard they really get ripped off in Canada. The gallons there are only 3.153 liters.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2005, 04:49 AM   #75
nickb
Registered Member

Actually, an imperial gallon is larger than a US gallon and works out to about 4.5 liters per gallon.

The US and imperial volume measures are strangely different. According to this web site (http://www.bartleby.com/61/charts/M0182500.html), the 'fl oz' has a different volume in the two systems. In the US system, a fl oz is 29.57 ml while in the imperial system, it is 28.41 ml (i.e. the US fl oz is about 4% larger.). I think most people just ignore this but, for percise measurements, it can become important. Of course, for precise measurement and scientific purposes, we should also use metric measures which have a universal meaning.

More than anyone needs to know :-)