Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/10/2017, 05:21 PM   #1
Yvetteinmiami
Registered Member

Clownfish Paring

Hello fellow aquarist ( I hoped I spelled that right),

I got a 1 inch maroon yellow-stripe clownfish about a week ago and tried to introduce a maroon clown today and the new clown was attacked. The fins were so ripped I rushed it to the LFS where I bought it and they took it and gave credit. But I still want to pair my yellow-stripe and my bro is attached to it so is not willing to get a paired clown. So I need to know what my maroon yellow-stripe clown won’t try to kill.
Thanks,
Hanna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yvetteinmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 05:34 PM   #2
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

How big was the one you introduce? Maybe find one thats pretty smaller or find one thats twice his size?

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 05:38 PM   #3
Yvetteinmiami
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznflyfisherman View Post
How big was the one you introduce? Maybe find one thats pretty smaller or find one thats twice his size?

Both were around an inch

Unread 11/11/2017, 03:24 AM   #4
shua71
Registered Member

Buy the smallest one you can get so it is likely not a male or female yet and keep it in a breeder box inside your tank for a day or two. The already introduced clown will try to attack it but it should subside. If you release the new clown and it gets attacked badly put it back in the breeder box and try again.

shua71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 09:41 AM   #5
Yvetteinmiami
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shua71 View Post
Buy the smallest one you can get so it is likely not a male or female yet and keep it in a breeder box inside your tank for a day or two. The already introduced clown will try to attack it but it should subside. If you release the new clown and it gets attacked badly put it back in the breeder box and try again.

Thank You, my inexperienced to the world of saltwater dad suggested this and I was too scared to try it. But I will now! Fingers are crossed!

Unread 11/11/2017, 10:24 AM   #6
davocean
Registered Member

Even when you do have a male and female sometimes the female just does not want to accept certain males for some reason, so agree the breeder box method seems best, and sometimes it may take a few tries w/ different clowns, and I find this to be especially true w/ maroons, they seem so fussy to accept new mates.

Good on your LFS to give credit for a beaten up clown.

Try again, sometimes I think it's about timing, maybe your existing just wasn't ready to share domain yet.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 10:40 AM   #7
Jeramirez85
Registered Member

Maybe better off doing both together if possible if not adding he new fish at night maybe mighty help on introducing the other one. I had a pair before and when I introduced the 2nd it took awhile but I did have them in a 300g. Which gave room for the 2nd one to go hide somewhere else

Jeramirez85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 11:42 AM   #8
Sk8r
RC Mod

Ummm, you are aware that the maroon clowns are about 5" at maturity and have a psychology that demands about 50 gallons of personal space, even when still small-ish, right?

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote