Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/10/2011, 01:07 AM   #1
Hurdicuss
Registered Member

LED's for this, LED's for that... not gonna lie, in need of help

Disclaimer: I have just recently began looking into DIY LED applications and I am trying to learn. There are many rich posts floating around this board, and others, so I have to sift through a LOT of info to find what I am looking for. That being said, I am quite new to LED design and capabilities and could use some help in many areas so please be gentle... On with the questions, sorry for so many in a single thread.

1) I am currently running a 250w halide over my 30x30x25 cube and have recently been entertaining the idea of adding LED's for actinic supplementation. I was thinking 4-8 LED's would be sufficient for this?... but am open to thoughts from those with LED experience. I would also need recommendations on what type/brand LED to use for this application, including optics or lenses and drivers/power supplies; basically everything needed to accomplish this. Is there a kit you might recommend?... Or would I be better off purchasing separate items?

2) This question ties in with the first a bit and I plan to post the same question in the DA forum, but... I am currently running a RKL on the same tank AND I have the option to purchase a used MLC module from a local reefer; will this module help play a role in controlling the actinic LED application mentioned above?... Or should I go with a different configuration and leave the MLC for moonlights only? (if I purchase it, it will come with 2 blue lunar pods). I have read here and there that the MLC can be used for (simply) controlling DIY LED systems. OR, should I pass on the MLC and look into the ALC module?

3) I would like to set up a new nano tank, probably something in the 15-20 gallon range. The footprint for this tank will be cube to cube-ish, it will be no higher than 16". I would like to do a DIY LED fixture over this tank so I can experiment for myself and see how I like it. That being said, how do you recommend I begin planning for this? Is there a kit you might recommend?... or perhaps a fixture? Ballpark range, what should I expect to pay to either DIY or fixture route for this set-up?

Whew! I think that covers it. Like I said, many questions b/c I am still in beginning learning stages for what I need to know for utilizing LED's on the reef. Thanks for your time and attention.

Unread 03/10/2011, 08:01 AM   #2
TheFishMan65
Registered Member

Click my home page and then look for the summary on DIY LEDs. It will answer a lot of question for you.

1) i think you will want more than 4-8
2) Sorry no expereince
3) Rapid LED has some nice kits, but you can go cheaper if you find the parts yourself.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon lps and fish
TheFishMan65 is offline   Reply With Quote