Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/14/2017, 05:47 PM   #1
HeresJonny
Registered Member

VarioS controller - what is this port?

IMG_20170114_173920.jpg

This is the controller for the Reef Octopus VarioS pumps. Does anyone know what the DIN-4 connectors are for on the side of the controller? The 3-pin port on the very left is for a float sensor, but I can't figure out the other two. If you search for the controller online, half the pictures don't even have these ports.

HeresJonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2017, 09:23 AM   #2
HeresJonny
Registered Member

So, I did some more digging and at least sort-of figured it out. Apparently Reef Octopus has or had an aquarium controller called the Octo Logic?

It's featured front and center on their website, but the page doesn't exist when you follow the link. Some other random site (Oceansing) is even appearing to sell it.

I'm not really interested in getting one, but just to satisfy my curiosity does anyone know if this product is coming or going? I hadn't heard anything about it before.

HeresJonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2017, 03:32 PM   #3
ericarenee
Registered Member

From a google image search Took me to another forum and this was in a written review

The VarioS still only has six speeds of pump control, but this driver now also has a float switch port for automatically detecting when skimmate has reached a high level, either in the skimmer cup or in a remote waste collector. The Octo VarioS also includes ethernet input and output ports, presumably for third-party control the likes of Apex-Ready. An additional two serial buses on the side of the VarioS controller are there to integrate with a forthcoming full-fledged controller from Reef Octopus tentatively called the ‘Aqua Logic’.

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2017, 03:37 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
An additional two serial buses on the side of the VarioS controller are there to integrate with a forthcoming full-fledged controller from Reef Octopus tentatively called the ‘Aqua Logic’.
Doh.. Erica beat me.. By quite a bit too.. Damn Simpsons show distracting me

Unread 01/15/2017, 03:42 PM   #5
ericarenee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Doh.. Erica beat me.. By quite a bit too.. Damn Simpsons show distracting me
I do not even have the pump or knew anything about it. I seen the image and well. I am Curious about everything.. Now i am kinda looking up what type of REEF CONTROLLER They are are working on...

HEHE.... I Can find anything on google.. Often it makes me wanna pluck out my eyes when i use guess phrases ...

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 10:54 AM   #6
gernby
Registered Member

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has found more info about these ports. The links provided above aren't there anymore, so it seems that the "Aqua Logic" controller might be dead. However, I'm hoping that someone has determined what data and protocol is available on these ports. I suspect that the ports are for Daisy-Chained SPI, but the connectors look proprietary.

I'd like to connect both of my Varios skimmer controllers to my custom controller system to monitor their status. I'm planning to use the skimmers as the overflow of a continuous water change system, which will require continuous monitoring of their running state.

gernby is offline   Reply With Quote