Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/03/2017, 09:01 PM   #1
rob.mwpropane
Registered Member

Reef Angel / Apex controller for Jebao DCP Pump

I just wanted to chime in and let everyone know that I bought an AQLink A1 for Apex from Fish Street along with a DCP 10000. I was able to connect it to my reef angel via the pinouts and control it (I used an old ethernet wire and cut the end off, but I know Apex is ethernet to ethernet, so no cutting required). It is 0-10v analog. I think the Apex does this out of the box, the reef angel I had to open the dimmer module to switch it to 0-10v analog. (Or you can already own the analog version and do it directly from the relay box)

I am not aware of anything else that will control these style pumps, which is why I'm writing this review of sorts. (I know the waveline series comes with there own controller that you can connect to, but it does not come separate)

I'm not 100%, but I would imagine that the other DC Pumps outside of the jebao series can also be controlled by this controller.

What does all this mean? Well, if you have a DCT, DCS, or the newer DCP jebao pump, you can now control it with an add on and your Apex / Reef Angel. There's also a ton of other pumps that it can control (check the manual), just be careful to set the dip switches correctly before firing it up.

Now the next big question will be longevity. I know I was really impressed by the way the DCP felt and looked out of the box. It felt solid, and the housing is really smooth. I took it all apart just to see how it went back together so I'm not trying to force something the wrong way when it comes time to clean it. So what does this all mean for longevity........absolutely nothing, this is just my first impression, and only time will tell for both the AQLink and the DCP Pump. You can be sure I'll be the first to post back here if something goes wrong to either the controller or the pump.

After I get it all connected to the actual tank, I will post pictures of the electrical connections along with pictures of the pump, controller, etc. I tried to answer any questions that I may of had, but if anyone has any questions, fire away.

I have attached a link to my dropbox so you can see the pictures and video that I made of it being controlled by the reef angel. This pump will start moving water at anything over 10%, but I think I remember reading that the older pumps (DC series jebao) would start moving anything over 30%?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uuio6abc9...2eHsTwUAa?dl=0

Happy Reefing!

Last edited by rob.mwpropane; 01/03/2017 at 09:47 PM.
rob.mwpropane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 10:51 AM   #2
karimwassef
Registered Member

Can you program an output mode in your RA or Apex and see the pump react?

Did you measure the flow compared to the native controller? Is it about the same at 100%?

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 12:12 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Doesn't the reef angel have a simple cable accessory for Jebao and thats all you need?
Not sure why the AQLink was needed..

Unread 02/01/2017, 12:39 PM   #4
karimwassef
Registered Member

The DCT pump controllers generate the phased DC pulses (unlike the older DC pumps where that was done inside the pump). Using a voltage reference doesn't work any more since it needs to feed a motor drive circuit now.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 02/01/2017, 03:29 PM   #5
rob.mwpropane
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Can you program an output mode in your RA or Apex and see the pump react?

Did you measure the flow compared to the native controller? Is it about the same at 100%?
Yes output mode with the RA can be changed with a # of different modes. I use it as a return, ran in "constant mode" at 60%, but after I feed or before I do a water change I crank it all the way up and try to "clean" the tank. It does a pretty good job. This can all be pre-programmed with the touch of a button within the RA app. I'm sure Apex can do the same.

The flow with the either controller feels the same, but I have no way to really measure it. 100% with either of them drops the water level in the return section of my sump to the same level. The original controller did say watts used, where as the new one does not. I don't really know if it was accurate though.

Hope that helps. Fwiw, it's been up and running for a few weeks now without issue.

Unread 02/04/2017, 09:22 PM   #6
karimwassef
Registered Member

I got it and it's wireless only. No connection for the Apex.

Found out that the T1 is labeled as "Jebao pump" but not Apex and I need the A1.

Terrible information on these things. No organized reference tables... no datasheets... just paragraphs of text.

Last edited by karimwassef; 02/04/2017 at 09:32 PM.
Unread 02/05/2017, 08:04 AM   #7
rob.mwpropane
Registered Member

Quote:
I got it and it's wireless only. No connection for the Apex.

Found out that the T1 is labeled as "Jebao pump" but not Apex and I need the A1.

Terrible information on these things. No organized reference tables... no datasheets... just paragraphs of text.
I agree, there is a good size language barrier, and it spills into the manuals. Honestly though, that's what we get when trying to go less expensive right? I mean, other companies make a nice pump that Apex can control right out of the box, but it's double the price.

Unread 02/05/2017, 10:06 AM   #8
mlew
Registered Member

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this pump once you've had it up and running for a bit. The price point on these is just too good to ignore. 😀

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2017, 10:12 AM   #9
karimwassef
Registered Member

I like jebao. The documentation is clear.

These other aqlink controllers... terrible docs or even descriptions.

I have many employees in China and I know this is sub-par communication. They're not even trying. It doesn't cost that much to create a clear structured website

Unread 02/05/2017, 01:26 PM   #10
rob.mwpropane
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlew View Post
I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this pump once you've had it up and running for a bit. The price point on these is just too good to ignore. ��

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Will do, so far it's been 5 weeks. I do have interference from the pump and the RA, I ordered some shielded cat5 to see if that will solve the issue. It does not effect the pump, but the pump does effect the RA at times. I don't know if it would effect the Apex the same way.

Quote:
I like jebao. The documentation is clear.

These other aqlink controllers... terrible docs or even descriptions.

I have many employees in China and I know this is sub-par communication. They're not even trying. It doesn't cost that much to create a clear structured website
I agree 100%, hopefully with time. I will say I've emailed Eric at Fish street, and he has always gotten back to me very quick. I had quite a few questions about the A1 controller (I think we had 32 emails back and forth over 48 hour period).

I have no experience with the T1.

Unread 07/22/2017, 12:26 PM   #11
aumoenoav
Registered Member

Any progress with this project?

aumoenoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2017, 11:40 AM   #12
aumoenoav
Registered Member

Bump

aumoenoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 12:28 PM   #13
giz1007
Registered Member

bump

giz1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 11:24 AM   #14
gernby
Registered Member

I'm curious to know if anyone has done a comparison of the pump's noise level between different controllers. I have a mix of Jebao DC, DCT, and DCP pumps, and am blown away by the difference in pump noise. Since some of the DCT and DCP pumps are compatible with each other's controllers, it was easy to determine that the DCP controller's "Sine Wave Technology" makes it vastly quieter than any other brushless DC pump control I've used. It sucks that the DCP controllers don't have any external inputs, since they seem so awesome. If they were controllable, I'd be replacing all my other controllers with them.

Last edited by gernby; 04/23/2018 at 11:36 AM.
gernby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2019, 08:04 PM   #15
AlexR
Premium Member

Curious how this has worked out over time. I have a DCP15000 coming in and a reef angel controller.

Would be nice to be able to control the pump using the reef angel.

AlexR is offline   Reply With Quote