Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/23/2018, 01:05 PM   #1
tlc
Registered Member

silica source

i got back my icp report. silica was very high. what could possibly be the source ? bare bottom tank, no sand in the system. i do use some silicone tubing and siporax in the sump for filtration. tank has been set up for a year now. salifert test kit confirms high silicates from icp test kit. rodi water shows 0. i started using some phosguard to help lower si and seems to be helping i just dont want to bottom out po4.

tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 01:15 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Did you also test freshly mixed saltwater?
What other chemicals are you using in the tank?
What level was reported?
Is this your first ICP test?
and of course..
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/1/aafeature1

Unread 04/23/2018, 01:55 PM   #3
tlc
Registered Member

icp analysis showed 32.48 ppm. this is my first icp test. the only chemicals i use in the tank is esv 2 part for alk and ca. i havent done a water change in 6 months ( lets not get into that debate). i have read some reports of other tanks using siporax having elevated levels of si

tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 02:05 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
icp analysis showed 32.48 ppm. this is my first icp test. the only chemicals i use in the tank is esv 2 part for alk and ca. i havent done a water change in 6 months ( lets not get into that debate). i have read some reports of other tanks using siporax having elevated levels of si
No debate here.. Shh.. Don't tell my corals because they are doing great but I haven't done a water change in around a year now on my current tank..

From what I've read its entirely possible its the siporax..

Unread 04/23/2018, 10:25 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

If the tank has very new silica sand, that might do it. Other than that, the salt mix is the most likely candidate. I'd measure some freshly-mixed saltwater.

Silicate is fine to have in the tank. It might encourage a bit more diatom and sponge growth, but that's usually all that might happen.