Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/14/2017, 08:08 PM   #51
JonCubb
Registered Member

Yeah, so I'm jelly as hell. Very clean, and well thought out setup. I'll be following along for sure.

JonCubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2017, 07:01 AM   #52
Bdial
Registered Member

This is probably one of the best builds I've ever seen. The planning, attention to detail, and execution is superb. im pretty sure you have more in just the plumbing than I have in my entire system. Awesome!!

WINTER IS COMING
Bdial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2017, 08:18 AM   #53
halmus
Registered Member

A Golden Reef Tank (v2)

Quote:
Man, this set up is definitely top notch!! The attention to detail is unreal.

Are the tanks in your fish room separate? Is that why the second skimmer is needed? That MRC skimmer is awesome!

Corey

The short answer: Most of the tanks are hooked together to form one big system with the exception of the QT rack isolated on the far wall. That is its own modular system. Even with the tanks that are hooked together, I'm setting it up ahead of time so that the frag tanks can run on their own with a dedicated sump with a turn of a valve or share the displays water by turning the same valve. I'm trying to make the system as modular as possible while maintaining reliability. The same with the refugium.

I will try to put something together to explain how everything is hooked together and/or stand alone.

The thread prior to the photo disaster explained it pretty well but it doesn't make sense without pictures.

After reloading that many pictures, I don't have the motivation to explain each one. I am considering a video walk through but I think I'll wait until I have water flowing. The cycling will take forever so I'll have a lot of time for videos.

Quote:
This is probably one of the best builds I've ever seen. The planning, attention to detail, and execution is superb. im pretty sure you have more in just the plumbing than I have in my entire system. Awesome!!

Thanks. I have taken a lot of inspiration from previous builds here. I'm putting my own spin on their designs.

Quote:
Yeah, so I'm jelly as hell. Very clean, and well thought out setup. I'll be following along for sure.

Thanks for following.

halmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2017, 08:40 AM   #54
C.Eymann
Cnidaria lover

My word, such a great build so far, very well planned and clean looking. I second the jelly-ness.
Subscribed

Current Tank Info: 80gal build in the works
C.Eymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2017, 06:36 PM   #55
Arnaldo24
Registered Member

Beat build i seen. Cant imagine the time u spend putting together a drawing of the whole plumbing.
Following along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 07/16/2017, 06:16 AM   #56
halmus
Registered Member

Quote:
My word, such a great build so far, very well planned and clean looking. I second the jelly-ness.
Subscribed
Thanks. Clean is the goal. I'm trying to challenge myself along the way and learn some new skills. I get my inspiration from a lot of people in the hobby. Right now, I'm trying to channel my inner Bill Wann. Soon, I'll be trying to copy Ching Chai's rockwork skills. There are too many people to mention...

Quote:
Beat build i seen. Cant imagine the time u spend putting together a drawing of the whole plumbing.
Following along
Thank you. The plumbing was actually one aspect of this build where I was basically making it up as I went along. I did a "back of the envelope" that was more of a flow diagram so that I knew what all I wanted to plumb together, the inputs/outputs, pipe diameters based on estimated flow rates, pumps...

Other than that, when it finally came time to plumb, I just did a lot of sitting and staring. I tried to think far ahead but didn't have an exact plan.

Unread 07/16/2017, 09:21 AM   #57
Mishri
Registered Member

wouldn't the golden ratio be 36"x58"? 1.61... you've got 1.33...

edit: I plugged it into multiple calculators for the golden ratio to see if my math was wrong.. got the same results.. 3'x5' would be closer... closest to 4' i found was 32"x52"..

Last edited by Mishri; 07/16/2017 at 09:49 AM.
Mishri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2017, 10:07 AM   #58
halmus
Registered Member

Good call Mishri. The bottom and top 2" will be covered by counter and woodwork respectively. That leaves 32" of viewable vertical viewing area by 48". Technically, the length of the sides should have been 51.2" with that vertical viewing space.

So, I should probably tear the entire thing down and start over. It will never work.

I had to compromise a little when ordering the tank. It wasn't cheep to start with and I got a little price break with the dimensions I ended up with due to how the materials worked out.

Unread 07/16/2017, 11:12 AM   #59
Achilles Torben
Registered Member

Fantastic. Congratulations. Can't wait to see more.

Greetings Torben

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

Achilles Torben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2017, 12:11 PM   #60
halmus
Registered Member

Thanks Achilles. It's still slow progress but I'm moving forward.

I worked on the framework that will support the hood and lights on the display this weekend. The entire hood will roll out and suspend off of the front end of the tank with 60" heavy duty glides.

I will build an acrylic shield that will protect the glides from splashing. Hopefully I will be able to keep that area dry enough to prevent corrosion.

Unread 07/17/2017, 12:11 PM   #61
halmus
Registered Member

Unread 07/17/2017, 12:12 PM   #62
halmus
Registered Member

Unread 07/17/2017, 12:12 PM   #63
halmus
Registered Member

The back side in the filtration room. I will be using a cable chain guide on the electric cables so that everything is well managed and protected as the rack rolls out and in. I am on hold with the rest of this rack while I wait for more fasteners.

Unread 07/17/2017, 12:13 PM   #64
halmus
Registered Member

I also picked up a few more pieces of the aluminum strut so I was able to complete the mounting of the Reefbreeder LED's over the QT tanks. The tanks are pretty dirty right now. They're also scratched because they were originally salvaged from a store years ago. I modified them and buffed them as well as I could (or was willing to). They're QT, so I'm not extreemly concerned that they aren't show quality. They do the job.

Unread 07/17/2017, 05:55 PM   #65
JonCubb
Registered Member

Lookin sharp. How do you like the aluminum framing? I've been considering it for a possible future build, but I've heard its pretty expensive.

Unread 07/17/2017, 09:01 PM   #66
halmus
Registered Member

The aluminum is a lot of fun to work with. I probably wouldn't use it to build a stand out of even though I know that's totally possible. I would just worry about deflection so I would end up way overbuilding it. There is deflection calculator software available. Still, I really like a solid tube steel frame.

For other less critical frames like a hood, it's nice. I will be able to adjust the rails on top to best fit the lights I end up with. Then, it's just a thin wood facade for aesthetics that doesn't need to hold any real weight.

Unread 07/18/2017, 02:47 AM   #67
dave.m
Registered Member

Maybe I missed it, but why does the light rack extend into the living space instead of into the fish room?

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2017, 05:20 AM   #68
halmus
Registered Member

Once the woodwork is on including trim and crown mounding at the top, it won't fit through the hole into the fish room.

I tried to think of all of the possible ways to access the tank and this was the only solution I could come up with. My wife didn't want the hood to extend all the way to the ceiling for esthetic reasons. She didn't want a massive tall hood like we had on our last tank, which did look odd. But, the shorter hood is also too close to the ceiling to allow flip up sides that provide enough space for me to reach all the way into the tank.

Basically, in the end, I had to find a way to move the entire hood out of the way at least periodically if I need to go snorkeling.

The wood facade will have access doors or panels of some sort to allow daily feedings and maintenance without moving the entire assembly.

Unread 07/18/2017, 10:33 AM   #69
JonCubb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halmus View Post
The aluminum is a lot of fun to work with. I probably wouldn't use it to build a stand out of even though I know that's totally possible. I would just worry about deflection so I would end up way overbuilding it. There is deflection calculator software available. Still, I really like a solid tube steel frame.

For other less critical frames like a hood, it's nice. I will be able to adjust the rails on top to best fit the lights I end up with. Then, it's just a thin wood facade for aesthetics that doesn't need to hold any real weight.
Good feedback, thanks!

Unread 07/21/2017, 05:47 AM   #70
balz3352
Registered Member

This is the mother of all picture dump!! I love it. It be great to see now. A lot different than when I helped carry the tank down

balz3352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2017, 05:57 AM   #71
halmus
Registered Member

Thanks again for breaking your back to help get the tank down!

I think I need to light off some fireworks once I finally plug in the first pump to start moving water. Signal all the locals to come over and check it out.

I'm sure there have been slower builds over the years but from my perspective it feels like I'm going for the Guinness record.

Lighting will be a huge milestone. Hooking them up will be pretty simple. Dialing them in might take forever. Still, one major step towards being wet.

Unread 07/21/2017, 09:10 AM   #72
BZOFIQ
Registered Member

Mind absolutely blown!

The attention to detail has a very pleasing effect. Too often people settle for good enough. Your setup is one of the best if not THE best I've seen to date. KUDOS!

This thread should be used as a guide for striving hobbyists when designing and building their fish rooms. Your extensive skills are amazing as well. EXTREMELY WELL DONE!

BZOFIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2017, 01:47 AM   #73
Reefer40b
Registered Member

Spectacular! If only I had the funds for this....

Those reefbreeders are wonderful have some myself good choice!

Owner Hidden Treasure Corals LLC
Reefer40b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2017, 08:49 AM   #74
halmus
Registered Member

A Golden Reef Tank (v2)

Quote:
Mind absolutely blown!

Thank you for all of the compliments. I have put a lot of effort into making this as ideal as possible based on my priorities. I owe a lot of inspiration to everyone out there who's ideas I'm adopting and I'm bringing some of my experiences into the mix.

Not everyone has the same priority. There are probably a HUGE number of people skimming through that would probably use the funds to have a front display twice the size and a much more reasonable filtration room.

Thanks for following!

Unread 07/22/2017, 08:52 AM   #75
halmus
Registered Member

Quote:
Those reefbreeders are wonderful have some myself good choice!

I'm pretty happy with those lights so far. I haven't put them to any real use, but they fit the space perfectly and are ideal for this application.