Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/06/2009, 12:10 PM   #1
arathorn1959
Registered Member

Problem with a Hippo Tang

I just noticed that my Hippo Tang has a white ring around its right eye and is trying to push the eye out of place. Any suggestions on and/or treatment would be good. All other fish are fine and everyone is eating well. My tank is is a 125gal with sump and 125lbs of rock. Thank you

arathorn1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2009, 07:11 AM   #2
Gwynhidwy
Meat Popsicle

Could be a bacterial infection. Is the eye protruding? Any chance of a picture? Can you remove the fish to a hospital tank for treatment if necessary?

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God. -- Aeschylus
Gwynhidwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2009, 02:10 PM   #3
adamsfour
Registered Member

Hippo tang

I have a Hippo tang in my tank. he been in the tank for 3 weeks. Never seen any spots on him but he is always scratching. Can't be normal. I keep thinking he must have Ich or velvet but would think I would see spots. I have been treating him with no-ich and add garlic when I feed. Want' to add more fish to tank but am hesitating until I know it safe. he eats fine. any Ideas

adamsfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2009, 02:26 PM   #4
chuckreef
Registered Member

scratching

Consider a possible stray voltage problem

chuckreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2009, 03:17 PM   #5
RegalAngel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsfour View Post
I have a Hippo tang in my tank. he been in the tank for 3 weeks. Never seen any spots on him but he is always scratching. Can't be normal. I keep thinking he must have Ich or velvet but would think I would see spots. I have been treating him with no-ich and add garlic when I feed. Want' to add more fish to tank but am hesitating until I know it safe. he eats fine. any Ideas
Scratching w/o signs of ich...probably parasites:

ProziPro

RegalAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2009, 05:08 PM   #6
adamsfour
Registered Member

update

The lack of spots was short lived. Yesterday afternoon the Ich finally became visible. Certainly took a while. I am treating with No-ich (have been for about a week) and I am hoping it will work. From threads I have read it takes a while. One question is; I have removed the carbon (per the instruction). Is this going to create more problems or can the tank go a while without carbon. Please advise.

Unread 12/30/2009, 05:11 PM   #7
RegalAngel
Registered Member

No-Ich like all these ich eradication medications works on the free swimming stage of the parasite(3-28 days to this stage from after drop off fish). So, you are looking at 4 weeks after the last white spot on a fish for treatment.
Should be fine w/o carbon.

Unread 12/30/2009, 07:43 PM   #8
MatthewLaw
Registered Member

why not use hyposalinity method?

MatthewLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2010, 04:49 PM   #9
adamsfour
Registered Member

Update. I been treating my hippo tang with no-ich for two weeks. He has been spot free for almost a week Until today. Today I noticed the white spots have returned. I am a little surprised it return since I have changed nothing. Any comments.

Unread 01/06/2010, 05:15 PM   #10
RegalAngel
Registered Member

Quote:
Update. I been treating my hippo tang with no-ich for two weeks. He has been spot free for almost a week Until today. Today I noticed the white spots have returned. I am a little surprised it return since I have changed nothing. Any comments.
No-Ich will not work unless;

1. You add the proper dosage daily until no more signs of Ich and that generally means at least 4 weeks.

So, I assume once the Ich disappeared you stopped dosing? If so, you missed the kill period for No-Ich that is the free swimming stage well after they leave the host fish.

Dose regularly for 4 weeks.

Unread 01/06/2010, 05:26 PM   #11
adamsfour
Registered Member

No I have not stop dosing. I am only two weeks in the process. Thanks for the feedback I will continue the process for another 2 weeks. Hopefully this will do it.

Unread 01/06/2010, 06:32 PM   #12
RegalAngel
Registered Member

Quote:
No I have not stop dosing. I am only two weeks in the process. Thanks for the feedback I will continue the process for another 2 weeks. Hopefully this will do it.

The lifecycle of Ich can be up to 4 weeks from once it leaves the host until it is once again a free swimming parasite.

This means that if your fish have Ich on them now you will need to treat for 4weeks after the Ich disappears from them....not just two more weeks.

I would have expected No-Ich to have killed any free swimmers before they re-infected your fish. Not a good sign.

Unread 01/07/2010, 01:00 AM   #13
hybridazn
Registered Member

make sure you arent running a skimmer either, i heard they will dramatically effect the treatment of that as well

hybridazn is offline   Reply With Quote