Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/11/2011, 10:45 AM   #276
rubensito
Registered Member

that kidako looks stunning...no aggression issues between the two eels?

rubensito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2011, 12:05 PM   #277
espo72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubensito View Post
that kidako looks stunning...no aggression issues between the two eels?
Thanks.

No, they've been together for years and never had a problem.

Here's the Kidako getting a dental cleaning.

Current Tank Info: too many to list
espo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2011, 01:12 PM   #278
Dragon moray ki
Registered Member

I love your eel I was going to get the one on DD a few weeks ago

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Green moray tank connected to 400 gallon shark pond. 90 gallon mixed reef
Dragon moray ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2011, 09:13 AM   #279
AlexS95
Registered Member

Can anybody ID this eel for me?

AlexS95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2011, 11:06 AM   #280
silentcivilian
Registered Member

has the coloring of a yellow margin, but hard to tell cause the photo doesnt show head shape well

Unread 10/21/2011, 03:20 PM   #281
Moray keeper
Registered Member

Be better with a whiter light but looks like a spotted

Unread 10/21/2011, 11:47 PM   #282
AlexS95
Registered Member

Someone local is trying to re-home him, I'm trying to find out more about them. Have any info to share?

Unread 10/22/2011, 05:20 AM   #283
rubensito
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moray keeper View Post
Be better with a whiter light but looks like a spotted
are you referring to gymnothorax moringa?

Unread 10/22/2011, 08:08 AM   #284
Moray keeper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubensito View Post
are you referring to gymnothorax moringa?
Yes I am.

Unread 10/22/2011, 08:20 AM   #285
Moray keeper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexS95 View Post
Someone local is trying to re-home him, I'm trying to find out more about them. Have any info to share?
If you could get a picture w/o the actinic tint I could tell you for sure but from what I can tell it looks like a spotted, gymnothorax moringa. Spotteds are pretty nasty usually. I have 16 different moray species that I am keeping and the spotted I have is by far the meanest. I had a couple others I kept back in the early to mid 90's that would come out of the water after my hands/arms when the canopy was off. I have one around 18" or so right now that I have with a large devil scorpion, volitan lion, and green moray. Adults usually 3-4' or so in size in captivity but I have seen a few that were bigger.

Unread 10/22/2011, 08:31 AM   #286
AlexS95
Registered Member

I asked him for another, I'll post it if I get another.

Unread 11/24/2011, 06:48 PM   #287
SJSharkin406
Registered Member

just curious how you guys keep your sandbeds and tanks in general clean since eels eat your clean up crew?

SJSharkin406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2011, 01:40 PM   #288
Moray keeper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharkin406 View Post
just curious how you guys keep your sandbeds and tanks in general clean since eels eat your clean up crew?
I have quite a bit of hermit crabs. It really depends on the type of eel in question. I have shrimp in with the hermits in a lot of my gymnothorax tanks since they are primarily fish eaters but wouldn't try it with the echidna or muraena

Unread 11/27/2011, 08:47 AM   #289
SJSharkin406
Registered Member

Quote:
I have quite a bit of hermit crabs. It really depends on the type of eel in question. I have shrimp in with the hermits in a lot of my gymnothorax tanks since they are primarily fish eaters but wouldn't try it with the echidna or muraena
ok thanks. well i was looking at the golden dwarf moray and snowflake moray eel. from what i understand the golden is pretty easy going but the snowflake will eat whatever it can get into its mouth. are eels pretty much just like regular fish as far as hit or miss on what you can house them with?

Unread 11/27/2011, 07:04 PM   #290
Moray keeper
Registered Member

I have hermits with my crustacean eating morays with no problems. Cheap enough if there is ever a problem though

Unread 11/27/2011, 07:53 PM   #291
SJSharkin406
Registered Member

Quote:
I have hermits with my crustacean eating morays with no problems. Cheap enough if there is ever a problem though
how do the snowflake eels do with different inverts? i was wondering what kind of eels those are in your avatar??

Unread 11/29/2011, 07:26 AM   #292
rubensito
Registered Member

I started keeping hermits with my morays recently, and didn't have any issues with the eels doing anything to the hermits. I kept hermits with Echidna species but also Gymnothorax

Unread 11/29/2011, 11:13 AM   #293
Moray keeper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharkin406 View Post
how do the snowflake eels do with different inverts? i was wondering what kind of eels those are in your avatar??
The eels in my avatar are golden dwarf morays, aka GDM's. I have quite a few of them, they rarely bother anything whether it be smaller fish or inverts. As far as snowflakes go, again I have not had a problem as far as small hermit crabs with them but I often bring home small-medium crabs that I catch and they devour them.

Unread 02/07/2012, 10:55 AM   #294
brannock_16
Registered Member

Quote:
The eels in my avatar are golden dwarf morays, aka GDM's. I have quite a few of them, they rarely bother anything whether it be smaller fish or inverts. As far as snowflakes go, again I have not had a problem as far as small hermit crabs with them but I often bring home small-medium crabs that I catch and they devour them.
Hey Moray Keeper,

I am receiving a pair of GDM's today and wanted to know what your feeding regimen is. I have read many of your previous posts and am going to feed the following (depending on availability):

Shrimp - should I leave the shell on or take it off?

Mussels - can I feed clams and scallops? Should I leave them in the shell or take them out before feeding?

Squid - if available

Octopus - if available

Fish - any recommendations? Would halibut, cod, salmon be okay?

I also know not to feed krill or silversides. Would you suggest soaking the food in Garlic or Selcon before feeding?

The GDM's I am receiving are on the smaller size...roughly 4-5 inches so I will have to feed smaller pieces for them correct? Also, with them being so small, I was planning on feeding once every other day to every two days. Does that sound about correct?

Any other information that you guys can give me? These will be my first eels? I have been doing a ton of research and they are going into a 120 gallon LPS heavy mixed reef.

Thanks,

Robert

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon tank, Tek 48 inch 6 bulb T5, Vertex 170 Alpha Protein Skimmer, 2 Vortech MP 40W ES, 1 Vortech MP 10W ES, LPS Dominant reef!
brannock_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2012, 07:24 AM   #295
Moray keeper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brannock_16 View Post
Hey Moray Keeper,

I am receiving a pair of GDM's today and wanted to know what your feeding regimen is. I have read many of your previous posts and am going to feed the following (depending on availability):

Shrimp - should I leave the shell on or take it off?

Mussels - can I feed clams and scallops? Should I leave them in the shell or take them out before feeding?

Squid - if available

Octopus - if available

Fish - any recommendations? Would halibut, cod, salmon be okay?

I also know not to feed krill or silversides. Would you suggest soaking the food in Garlic or Selcon before feeding?

The GDM's I am receiving are on the smaller size...roughly 4-5 inches so I will have to feed smaller pieces for them correct? Also, with them being so small, I was planning on feeding once every other day to every two days. Does that sound about correct?

Any other information that you guys can give me? These will be my first eels? I have been doing a ton of research and they are going into a 120 gallon LPS heavy mixed reef.

Thanks,

Robert
Smaller pieces for sure. I tend to leave the shell on the shrimp but with small morays that is pretty hard to do. Plan on three times a week for feeding right now. I have a couple vitamin mixtures I used, you can soak prior to feeding. As for fish types I give cod,haddock, flounder, salmon, tilapia, striper, etc. Just try to be varied. Silversides are ok in small amounts, maybe once or twice a month. I don't give any of my fish krill though.

Unread 05/06/2012, 01:48 PM   #296
olemiss reb
Molon Labe

I've had the larger for ~6 months and the smaller ~4 months. Larger of the two is transitioning to blue. Weaning the smaller onto frozen was a major pita but they are now both eating a rotation of salmon, halibut, flounder, cod, amberjack, mahi, and tuna. They will occasionally eat octopus and squid but not as aggressively as the fish offerings. Won't touch thawed silversides.

Unread 05/06/2012, 08:58 PM   #297
Grouperhead
Registered Member

Gorgeous. You keeping any other fish with them?

Grouperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2012, 07:25 AM   #298
olemiss reb
Molon Labe

They're in a 90 with a Bi-color angel, Twelve line wrasse, 4 Three stripe damsels and 2 Allens damsel. The larger eel killed an Allens damsel during the first couple of days but I haven't noticed any aggression since. The fish seem to have learned to stay away from the four pvc openings which the eels never venture far from.

Unread 01/25/2013, 07:09 PM   #299
Dj22192
Registered Member

My 3.5 Tessalata Eel

My 3.5 Tessalata Eel

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (63.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.jpg (80.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg photo 5.jpg (74.1 KB, 25 views)
Dj22192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2013, 11:00 PM   #300
Polahbear
Registered Member

Here is my Eel

Though I could use some help on the ID. It is 2feet long. Was told it was a Jewel Moray, but I'm not sure if it is. There is a story.
This eel was owned for nine years, but the previous owner had a house fire. A local LFS took in the surviving critters. All of them found new homes except the Eel it was at the store for a year. I moved to the area and was planing to get an Eel, I had a tank all set up and cycled, I was planning to get a snowflake, but my wife and I liked this one. Knowing it was already adult and had survived a disaster I decided to give it a proper home. I have had it for 11 months now.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Liz.jpg (95.6 KB, 47 views)
Polahbear is offline   Reply With Quote