Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/04/2015, 01:13 PM   #1
Jyetman
Registered Member

New APEX Temp probe is off by 1 degree

So I bought a new temp probe for the PM2 module. Getting ready to setup a salinity system. Before my COND probe comes in next week I'm installing this new temp probe but its reading 1 degree higher then the original temp probe why? Won't this effect the salinity reading? What do I do what a few days?

Jyetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2015, 01:28 PM   #2
JAustin
Acropora Nut

calibrate it. I recommend checking it against a mercury thermometer or to another reliable temperature reading devise.

Unread 07/04/2015, 01:50 PM   #3
Jyetman
Registered Member

Only thing I can find to calibrate at the moment is a medical digital thermometer will this work?

Unread 07/04/2015, 02:00 PM   #4
mmn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyetman View Post
Only thing I can find to calibrate at the moment is a medical digital thermometer will this work?
Yes it will. You can calibrate it to anything. The question is how accurate is the thing you calibrate it to. Why not just calibrate it to your other probe, if you think that it is accurate?

125g DT, Jebao DC9000, BA drain, 55g sump, Mixing: 2x32g Brutes, Panworld 30PX, 20l QT, RLSS R6I skimmer, 3 x Kessil A360WE, Neptune Apex.

Current Tank Info: 2 clowns, 2 blue-green chromis, 2 Duncans and 2 GSPs
mmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2015, 02:44 PM   #5
sleepydoc
Registered Member

+1 calibration is only as good as the reference. Does 1º really matter, anyway?

Unread 07/04/2015, 04:19 PM   #6
Jyetman
Registered Member

If so many are having trust issues with their apex salinity probes why wouldn't the temp probes be the culprit? I mean two apex probes supposedly factory preset have variations of 1 degrees is that a lot to trust to a properly calibrated COND probe? If the TEMP probe isn't calibrated right wouldn't that explain why so many have issues calibrating the COND probes?

Unread 07/04/2015, 06:01 PM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyetman View Post
If so many are having trust issues with their apex salinity probes why wouldn't the temp probes be the culprit? I mean two apex probes supposedly factory preset have variations of 1 degrees is that a lot to trust to a properly calibrated COND probe? If the TEMP probe isn't calibrated right wouldn't that explain why so many have issues calibrating the COND probes?
1 degree won't make any difference in the salinity reading. Especially since you should be calibrating the CondX probe using the PM2 temp probe in conjunction with calibration fluid that is the same temp as the tank water. That process alone will insure your conductivity readings are accurate despite the temp variance.

Also, those of us that use the conductivity probes with our Apex generally don't use it to check our salinity. Instead we use it for trends, fail safes for things such as our ATO's & our auto water changes. We use refractometers to measure our actual salinity.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2015, 06:50 PM   #8
mmn
Registered Member

And besides, you're not calibrating the probe. You are calibrating the system to a known standard.

125g DT, Jebao DC9000, BA drain, 55g sump, Mixing: 2x32g Brutes, Panworld 30PX, 20l QT, RLSS R6I skimmer, 3 x Kessil A360WE, Neptune Apex.

Current Tank Info: 2 clowns, 2 blue-green chromis, 2 Duncans and 2 GSPs
mmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2015, 06:10 AM   #9
n2585722
Registered Member

Jyetman, 1 degree is pretty close. Besides there are no two probe that are exactly alike. There is tolerences for them. I assume from the comments that it can be calibrated on the Apex if it is too far off to suit you. I am not familiar with the Apex temp calibration but if it is a single point calibration you will only be accurate at the calibration point. There will be a difference in the reading that will be greater the futher you get from the cal point. A two point calibration will be more acurate within the range between the cal points, but the readings will still be slightly different. Remember these are made to fit within the budget of the hobbist. The more accurate you make things to be the cost can skyrocket quickly.

Also probes are not calibrated. The electronics in the controllers is calibrated to the probe. In the case of the temp probe the electronics is calibrated to the center of probe tolerence. This should be fine for us hobbist.

Last edited by n2585722; 07/05/2015 at 06:19 AM.
n2585722 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apex, condx5 probe, salinity probe