Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2005, 10:35 PM   #201
MrMongoose
Registered Member

Cool, Mine is about an inch bigger than yours I love the bottem fin w/ the Blue and Rusty Bronze color from the RS Regals.

Unread 01/20/2005, 11:16 PM   #202
unicornis
Registered Member

cool... mine has been doing very well since day 2... i bring it hme on day 1 and it was looking very stress from the way it breathes at at first i thought it was not going to amke it... but on day 2 it was doing well.. and ard day 4 it start eating frozen mysis and brine.... IOts been darting in and out of liverock for the first week but now it just swim openly ... lapping ard the tank..... I had a zoos garden.. My experience with this fish is that this regal only wack zoos that are sickly or cover ina lgae... it wun wack healthy zoos....

see my zoo garden

unicornis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2005, 08:45 AM   #203
MrMongoose
Registered Member

Wow cool! Your experiance sounds almost identical to mine.

Unread 01/21/2005, 09:13 AM   #204
malegolf
Registered Member

I had zoo's also, there gone now.......

Current Tank Info: 150G Acrylic, 3 DE 250W Reef Optix Pendandts HQI 10K Aqualine Bulbs, Hammerhead on 4Way Oceansmotion Closed Loop, Dart on Two 3/4" Sea Swirls on Sump, GEO Skimmer, Aqua Medic Titan 1500 Chiller, Rubbermade Fuge, 180LBS LR, Jetstream 1 CA reacto
malegolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2005, 11:51 AM   #205
Aquaduck
Registered Member

I found this 4" Regal at one of the LFS. I'm not sure of the origin of the fish (Iforgot toask!). They had it for 6 weeks and were feeding it freeze dried blood worms of all things. I asked to see the fish eat and it did so I took a chance on it. I treated it with copper in a quarantine tank for a few days then I read how copper can interfere with a fishes sense of taste and I did not want her to stop eating, so I trasfered her into my main tank. My yellow tang immediately took offense to the new-comer with the usual tail fanning like I thought it would. But with the Regal being a good inch larger it paid no attention to the tang. Now they get along great. The Regal ate a few sponges that I had growing in the tank as well as grazed on a very large white sea squirt that had been growing for over a year. She's eaten a patch of small brown zoos with orange centers but left everything in the tank alone. She's adjusted well to tank life and comes to the front whenever I am by the tank. I feed her Hikari Marine Angel frozen cubes thawed in tank water and feed with a pipette which she eagerly eats from. She also eats mysis and grazes on the rocks and glass. Here's my pride and joy of the tank:

Aquaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2005, 11:55 AM   #206
MrMongoose
Registered Member

Looks like an Indo Regal, Also its not good to treat Angels w/ copper as you now know.

Unread 01/21/2005, 01:24 PM   #207
dvmsn
Registered Member

I thought I would relate this sad story. I posted picks of my regal on the first page of this thread. I was married on October 30, 2004. We left for the Bahamas the next day. I returned home to find my return pump had gone offline. Everything in my tank was dead, including my HEALTHY, eating all prepared food, not picking at anything in the tank including zoos, Regal Angel. So if anybody needs to get rid of theirs, I would be happy to help you out.

dvmsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2005, 01:35 PM   #208
mmmmsushi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dvmsn
I thought I would relate this sad story. I posted picks of my regal on the first page of this thread. I was married on October 30, 2004. We left for the Bahamas the next day. I returned home to find my return pump had gone offline. Everything in my tank was dead, including my HEALTHY, eating all prepared food, not picking at anything in the tank including zoos, Regal Angel. So if anybody needs to get rid of theirs, I would be happy to help you out.
I'm sorry to hear that. Major Bummer.

You live in Georgetown? Is there a LFS around there other than Myrtle? My family has a place down there. Technically in Georgetown.

Current Tank Info: 125g Reef
mmmmsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2005, 02:00 PM   #209
dvmsn
Registered Member

Only in Myrtle Beach.

Unread 01/21/2005, 02:33 PM   #210
Reefpuck
Registered Member

I have had a Regal for almost a week, and still have not seen it eat anything. Zoos have not been touched, but the fish is always hidding in the rocks. Wondering what people have had luck with getting them to eat.

I have tried Cyclopeeze, frozen mysis and brine, different flakes.

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2005, 02:43 PM   #211
dvmsn
Registered Member

Did you see it eat anything at the LFS?

Unread 01/21/2005, 02:47 PM   #212
copps
Premium Member

Along with the recent success in keeping this species on more of a regular basis comes those specimens that will just refuse to eat until they completely waste away. It's a good indicator of health on many fish, but most importantly with these guys. Just keep throwing different things at him... They could last a while on picking alone...

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.
Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one we’re talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only
copps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2005, 04:59 PM   #213
Reefpuck
Registered Member

I actually didnt get him at a local fish store...I had someone pick him up from a local supplier here in L.A.

It is extremely healthy looking, and very bright colors...just not seeing him eat.

He lets the dam shrimp crawl over him...maybe he should just eat them.

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2005, 05:58 PM   #214
MrMongoose
Registered Member

Try Fresh Clam or Oyster on the 1/2 shell on an alge clip, that worked for me. Also I think a major part of why these fish won't eat at first is because they are extreemly shy. Don't try to spy on him just put the food in and walk away, they can see you from about 20 feet away. Trust me I KNOW HAHA.

Unread 01/21/2005, 07:11 PM   #215
Aquaduck
Registered Member

Mine just started eating frozen Cyclopeze today! She's been watching the other fish feed on them for a few days and tonight she decided to try them and ate quite a bit.

Unread 01/21/2005, 08:33 PM   #216
unicornis
Registered Member

haha i was feedig mysis one day and it just viola.. start to eat

unicornis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2005, 07:33 AM   #217
Project Reef
**** R.C. Member

Alright! Picked up a cute little juvi. Red Sea regal on Friday. He's about 2 1/2-3" with really nice coloration. I'm stoked now because I just saw him taking a bunch of Spectrum Pellets and then going #2 after that.

About 5 minutes prior to feeding the tank I have been adding 7-10 drops of Kent Garlic Xtreme to the water to try and get them in a feeding frenzy (hey it's worth a shot). It's funny because I just came 4th place in a pretty good sized poker tournament but I'm 100x more stoked about this! Oh, and the coolest part, I do see him picking a stuff on the rock, however he hasn't even taken a second look at SPS, zoas, blastos, acans, favias, ricordea etc. I'll keep you guys updated...

Unread 01/30/2005, 12:22 PM   #218
Travis
10 and over club

I've read through every post in this thread and haven't heard a single report of anyone's regal eating or picking at sps. Has anybody observed this behavior in their regals?

I'm considering trying a regal after I had a bad experience with a recent attemp at a juvi emperor. I QT'd it for 6 weeks and then the day I put it in the tank it did a real number to several sps corals. Ended up having to tear down the entire 280 to get it out.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Current Tank Info: 280 sps w/ 75 LPS, 75 refugium, 120 sump
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2005, 06:32 PM   #219
Aquaduck
Registered Member

I've had mine in the dispplay tank for 3 weeks now and it has not touched any SPS at all. It has however eaten all the smaller zoos but leaves the larger button polyps alone. It takes the odd bite out of some pulseing Xenia polyps. Some of my pulsing Xenia's look like they're flipping me the bird now. All of these types of softies I don't perticularly care for anyway. The Regal really likes to nibble on the sea squirts and sponges I have growing all over the tank. She's eaten some patches but they are sprouting up in other areas of the tank. Especially in the substrate. I figure the sea squirts go through the Regal's digestive tract and somehow manage to re-grow out of the feces.

Unread 01/31/2005, 07:38 AM   #220
mmmmsushi
Registered Member

I think my Regal thinks she's all domesticated and stuff....

She has yet to touch anything in the tank other than the food I put in. Including various sized Zoos and even some sponge that is growing in a little cave. Whenever she sees me she rushes to the front of the tank and tries to get my attention.

I did try some blackworms a couple weeks ago. She didn't try them until a few days of all the other fish eating them. Now she goes crazy over it.

Unread 01/31/2005, 07:50 AM   #221
Project Reef
**** R.C. Member

Yes! The little guy is now aggressively taking in flake food (formula 1).

Unread 01/31/2005, 08:01 AM   #222
malegolf
Registered Member

I can't get mine to eat anything but Mysis, I've tried several flakes, oyster, squid. I may get a clam and try that, it did clean up my zoo's. I feed three small fish and the Regal a cube of Mysis each day, plus some flakes, not much though. Is that enough food for them?????

Thanks

Current Tank Info: 150G Acrylic, 3 DE 250W Reef Optix Pendandts HQI 10K Aqualine Bulbs, Hammerhead on 4Way Oceansmotion Closed Loop, Dart on Two 3/4" Sea Swirls on Sump, GEO Skimmer, Aqua Medic Titan 1500 Chiller, Rubbermade Fuge, 180LBS LR, Jetstream 1 CA reacto
malegolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2005, 08:16 AM   #223
jjjimmy
Premium Member

Hi all,

I am looking to get a Regal angel but I am concerned on getting it to eat prepared foods. I am going to be getting a couple of ball sponges for him to feed on to hopefully give it some time to get used to being in the tank and prepared foods.

My tank is a 180 SPS dominant tank. (3) 250 watt hqi's with (4) 110 watt o3 vho's. Tank has been running for over 1 year and all parameters are in check.

I would like any and all advise on what to do to get him to accept prepared foods.

thank you,

Jimmy

Unread 01/31/2005, 09:27 AM   #224
mmmmsushi
Registered Member

IMHO, I would start feeding him the food that you will be feeding him on a regular basis. I've found some fishes don't like to change once they've found a food they really like. Some Regals will eat like pigs and some are very picky.

If you get a Regal make sure he's eating first. I've had some fish that I've not added any special food to entice them to eat. They will not touch anything for a day, perhaps, and then start to eat. I've been VERY lucky in this respect.

On the other hand I have one fish that will eat nothing but very live food. He used to pick a little on the rocks, but now he waits for living black worms, and ignores everything else.

Unread 02/01/2005, 07:16 AM   #225
orangereefer
Registered Member

After bout 3 weeks in my tank, my regal finally started eating. I was so worried and already considered him a gonner. I'm so stoked he finally ate.

He's now eating free floating frozen food. He's not the fattest specimen in my tank but hopefully over time, he'll eat everything I give him. At one point I bought a sponge but didn't really touch it.

I'll post pics shortly when he gets a little fatter.

Mel

orangereefer is offline   Reply With Quote