Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/17/2019, 08:27 PM   #626
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty150 View Post
Do you know if the power bar can be used by itself - without the Cerebra...?
There was/is a fall back option on the Cerebra that defaulted the outlets to the “default” state on the Cerebra power bars when connection was cut off from the Cerebra. So if the outlets were set to default “ON” then the outlets should remain ON without the Cerebra.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2019, 11:20 PM   #627
jwilliams860
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
There was/is a fall back option on the Cerebra that defaulted the outlets to the “default” state on the Cerebra power bars when connection was cut off from the Cerebra. So if the outlets were set to default “ON” then the outlets should remain ON without the Cerebra.
This is correct. I've still got a power bar hooked up and providing power to several things.

jwilliams860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2019, 06:55 PM   #628
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams860 View Post
This is correct. I've still got a power bar hooked up and providing power to several things.
I was more asking if you could purchase the power bar without the Cerebra and it would still work on its own... as just a power bar...

Salty150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2019, 07:24 PM   #629
jwilliams860
Registered Member

Quote:
I was more asking if you could purchase the power bar without the Cerebra and it would still work on its own... as just a power bar...
They do offer a stand alone power bar that can be purchased separately.

I would think you would still need a Cerebra to program the channels.

I don't know if on the new version, the default option is "always on"

I can post back when I receive mine

jwilliams860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2019, 07:22 AM   #630
cali9dub
Registered Member

Got issued my place in line for the replacement Cerebra 7. So looks like I’ll be in the first batch of 80 to go out in the next couple weeks.

cali9dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2019, 11:46 AM   #631
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali9dub View Post
Got issued my place in line for the replacement Cerebra 7. So looks like I’ll be in the first batch of 80 to go out in the next couple weeks.
It's been 5 weeks... any update?

Salty150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2019, 12:00 PM   #632
cali9dub
Registered Member

Quote:
It's been 5 weeks... any update?

Nope. Still waiting. Just news on the cloud portal and the Cerebra forum will be moving over to that....nothing shipped yet. They claimed a final test of the touchscreens before shipping. Maybe we’ll know more this week. Glad you are keeping count though, as I’m not.

Unread 06/06/2019, 09:34 AM   #633
DeepSeaBeauti
Will Fielitz

anyone know what happened to the Cerebra Forum? I check often and today its gone!

Current Tank Info: 300G DD reef tank, 100g sump 40g breeder set up as a refugium, C-skim skimmer, , 2 165w LED and t5 setup, BRS reactor for carbon and GFO. Fish: lawnmower blenny, 12clowns, Watchmen golby, FoxFace, Yellow angle, 6line wrase.
DeepSeaBeauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2019, 12:43 PM   #634
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSeaBeauti View Post
anyone know what happened to the Cerebra Forum? I check often and today its gone!
It's still there. I just double checked.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2019, 05:56 PM   #635
cali9dub
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSeaBeauti View Post
Sometimes it’s down for a short period of time, but it’s still there.

Unread 06/06/2019, 07:09 PM   #636
Joe0813
Registered Member

Good thing I bought an Apex and not this thing

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2019, 05:04 PM   #637
Fish doctor
Registered Member

Yeah I bought one, then I got smart sold it and bought an Apex.

Fish doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2019, 08:20 AM   #638
ClownReef®
Bubbletrousing

I sold mine forever ago. Im so glad I did. I bought an Apex Gold and it has worked flawlessly.

Unread 06/26/2019, 09:14 AM   #639
cali9dub
Registered Member

I still run an original apex that I bought back in like 2009. Had some hiccups very early on but has been good ever since. That Cerebra program popped up and I got in on that because it was super cheap and I figured I’d have a cheap backup to the apex should anything happen and best case scenario I could use the cerebra and have the apex as the backup. So....I’m still waiting on the cerebra, which I really don’t mind at all since I never intended for my tank to rely on it. They’ve had issues getting it going, but the first go around I could tell the product was pretty cool, a little bulky and ugly, but easier to use than the apex. Since that one was scrapped due to hardware issues and the new one has been worked on I’m still hopeful for a cool product. It definitely looks WAY better than the original and has the potential to be a top controller in the market. I’ve done my share of grumbling about the time it’s taken for the new one to get released, they say they are getting close. We’ll see. The proof will be in the pudding. I’m so glad I wasn’t one of the sorry saps that bought one expecting it to run my tank right outta the gate ! I feel like this cerebra project has turned into the same thing as the Mindstream project that has continued missed self imposed targets and timeline, but I guess I’ll find out eventually. At least I was realistic enough to understand the undertaking at its inception and haven’t had to cry too much along the way. Still chillin, waiting though.

Unread 06/26/2019, 04:36 PM   #640
Opus123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali9dub View Post
I still run an original apex that I bought back in like 2009. Had some hiccups very early on but has been good ever since. That Cerebra program popped up and I got in on that because it was super cheap and I figured I’d have a cheap backup to the apex should anything happen and best case scenario I could use the cerebra and have the apex as the backup. So....I’m still waiting on the cerebra, which I really don’t mind at all since I never intended for my tank to rely on it. They’ve had issues getting it going, but the first go around I could tell the product was pretty cool, a little bulky and ugly, but easier to use than the apex. Since that one was scrapped due to hardware issues and the new one has been worked on I’m still hopeful for a cool product. It definitely looks WAY better than the original and has the potential to be a top controller in the market. I’ve done my share of grumbling about the time it’s taken for the new one to get released, they say they are getting close. We’ll see. The proof will be in the pudding. I’m so glad I wasn’t one of the sorry saps that bought one expecting it to run my tank right outta the gate ! I feel like this cerebra project has turned into the same thing as the Mindstream project that has continued missed self imposed targets and timeline, but I guess I’ll find out eventually. At least I was realistic enough to understand the undertaking at its inception and haven’t had to cry too much along the way. Still chillin, waiting though.
Mindstream is released now with pre-orders being taken. May be too late to the game and cost too much for long term success.

Opus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2019, 04:38 PM   #641
cali9dub
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus123 View Post
Mindstream is released now with pre-orders being taken. May be too late to the game and cost too much for long term success.
Yup. They missed the boat with the Alkatronic, KH director, Trident, etc beating them to the market. That’s another problem with the cerebra...will it keep up ??

Unread 07/23/2019, 09:46 AM   #642
wishntoboutside
professional snow flake

I noticed the site is down. hopefully they are face-lifting it.

Current Tank Info: 450 gallon peninsula tank 72*48*30 filled with a bunch of frags and trying to grow them out.
wishntoboutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2019, 09:14 PM   #643
FirstContact
Registered Member

Went with GHL. Vertex has lied so often to it’s consumer base that the brand is no longer interesting. There’s room in the market for other brands, but please Vertex no more lies! I’ll stick with GHL or Neptune Systems.

Current Tank Info: 120g Reef 100g Rubbermaid Sump, 20g Refugium; previous tank: 46g Drilled; Self Plumbed, Birds Nest, Anchor, Xenia, Zoas, Yuma Yuma Ricordea, Chalice, Mushrooms, Brain, Acan, Anenome Plate; Clams, Other Inverts, Fish, Live Rock

Last edited by FirstContact; 11/02/2019 at 01:42 PM.
FirstContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2019, 05:19 PM   #644
ClownReef®
Bubbletrousing

Still nothing? I sold that paper weight I think two years ago lol

Unread 11/02/2019, 11:38 PM   #645
RobbyG
Registered Member

It's not easy to make a controller from scratch but it still should not take this long! I am factoring in that they probably had a year or two of work put into this before they even said anything publicly.

I would expect a controller system built from the ground up to go from inception to the the market in 3-4 years. Testing is long part of the process. It only takes a few people with crashed tanks to make the product go from great to worthless, so you have to get it right with the initial release, and that was certainly one of their big mistakes.

Another issue which I suspect is the problem with the Cerebra is too much time was spent on Bling and not enough time spent on just getting the core functionality working properly.

As for those who scoff at the MindStream, I am personally very impressed with how they handled a very unique design and from all the owners posts they seemed to have made a unit that works very well. I am going to go out on a limb and say that in the Next two years I expect the Mindstream to be the go to system for testing water just like the Ecotech Vortechs are the go to powerheads for people who invest serious cash in this hobby.

Current Tank Info: Insanely Automated Low Power Consumption 90 Gal Oceanic Bow System/Aquatronica Touch Controller/AQ Dosing Pump/AQT LEDS/AQ SMS/Seq Dart Pump/ASM G3/Ozotech Ozonizer/Koralin 1502/Chiller/Typhoon3 Ro/S.Squirt /Phos React/Rmt DSB

Last edited by RobbyG; 11/02/2019 at 11:54 PM.
RobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2019, 04:14 PM   #646
cali9dub
Registered Member

I have my new cerebra and we are starting testing so we’ll see how it comes along. It has the potential still to be pretty sweet but that still remains to be seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 01/07/2020, 03:55 AM   #647
cali9dub
Registered Member

Well the vertex testing forum and slack app room has been shut down without warning from Vertex so it looks like the newest Cerebra is also a failure. Based on how slow everything was progressing it doesn’t surprise me. Lots of money going out, none coming in. Not a good way to try and launch a complicated project. Maybe it'll be resurrected in the future but I can guarantee that no beta tester would touch it. Lol.

Unread 01/07/2020, 09:28 AM   #648
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Classy move Vertex

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2020, 10:56 AM   #649
cali9dub
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
Classy move Vertex

Oh yeah. Top notch. At least when Mindstream crapped the bed they put out a letter explaining exactly what happened. Not Vertex. Total b*tch move. It just shows the integrity of the folks in charge over there. Clueless....but that’s how they’ve been operating for quite a few years now.

Unread 01/07/2020, 08:45 PM   #650
RobbyG
Registered Member

Duplicate

Current Tank Info: Insanely Automated Low Power Consumption 90 Gal Oceanic Bow System/Aquatronica Touch Controller/AQ Dosing Pump/AQT LEDS/AQ SMS/Seq Dart Pump/ASM G3/Ozotech Ozonizer/Koralin 1502/Chiller/Typhoon3 Ro/S.Squirt /Phos React/Rmt DSB

Last edited by RobbyG; 01/07/2020 at 08:50 PM.
RobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote