Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/16/2009, 06:32 PM   #1
walnutninja
Registered Member

Need Advice - Setting up Refugium before Display tank?

Hi all,

Before I start asking questions, I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who posts information garnered from years of personal experience and the educated folks who pass on information to new hobbyists like myself. Without the wealth of information I've absorbed from this forum I doubt I'd even be willing to make a foray into reef keeping.

With that said, I'm seeking advice with the following situation:

I recently moved into a new apartment and was considering building a reasonably large system, around 150-200 gallons, until I found out that my second story 1 bedroom is weight rated for around 80 lbs per square foot. Further, an investment in a 1 to 1 1/2 ton tank system at this point in my life could easily take six+ months before water hit the tank.

So I've scaled back my grand schemes to something around 75-100 gallons, including refugium. A family member donated a 30 gallon tank to serve as my refugium and I'll be adding an overflow wall to house the skimmer. My current plan is to set up the refugium first, with a deep sand bed, some live rock, a few small inverts once the tank cycles, and some chaetomorpha which I'll prune regularly. I plan on visiting several of the LFS and attempting to find local reefkeepers willing to sell or donate substrate to help along the cycling process. Once the refugium matures a bit and I amass enough equipment and funds to add the larger tank, I will use substrate samples from the refugium and some of the fully cured rock to jumpstart the display tank.

Finally, after that long winded diatribe, the questions: ;P

Is this refugium-first plan advisable?

Are there any hiccups I'm not seeing trying to start up this way?

What type of flow will I need in this setup (powerheads, etc)?

If I purchase a skimmer large enough for the full setup, will it be overkill for the smaller refugium?

Can anyone recommend an ideal LED setup for this display (10k, actinic, moonlight? -- I found a few LED 10k/actinic bars for around $60)

Lastly, are there any fellow enthusiasts in the southeast texas area that would be willing to sell/donate substrate in the next few months to help start up this project?

I would also appreciate recommendations on good LFS or online locations to shop for equipment/live rock/sand/livestock.

Thanks very much in advance.
Ryan

Last edited by walnutninja; 12/16/2009 at 07:30 PM.
walnutninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new tank, newbie questions, refugium