Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/13/2010, 07:46 PM   #151
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posidion View Post
agreed on rock just cure and watch for un wanted critters ie bad crabs shrimp and snails. the comment from the other thread about the club soda was in refrence to ridding a pest shrimp or crab from a hole in the rock. if you do notice any stow aways that you dont want to put in the tank and cant catch them that is when you dip an individual rock in fresh/hypo (low salinity) say 1.015-1.017, not high this allows most bacteria and other desirables to surrive while any unwanted inverts will scurry out of the rock to look for better water conditions. if that dosent send them running then people have said the club soda spot application will do the trick, usually has a neg result on critter so if you were hoping to place it in a species nano display its possible you wont be able to.
Thanks allot for that, it makes tremendous sense. I really appreciate the coaching. now I'm off to hunt for pictures......

Peter

Unread 03/13/2010, 08:38 PM   #152
Bax
Premium Member

What a fantastic build! I look forward to seeing this huge, 100% display system come to life!

In a system this size, Qting your incoming live rock is well worth the effort. It'll be quite a job inspecting, scrubbing, or dipping that much incoming rock. I am not into that in the small volumes of rock I've dealt with. Dealing with unwanted hitch hikers in this big tank wouldn't any fun either. It would be much less tiresome to QT/cure the rock in batches as it arrives. You're gonna need a bunch of rock for this huge tank!

Current Tank Info: 150 DT/ 40B fuge/ 75g frag/ 40 g sump/ SRO XP 3000 Ext/ TUNZEs & VorTechs circulation/Dart return/ MTC Pro Cal/ UV & Oz
Unread 03/13/2010, 08:55 PM   #153
chingchai
Premium Member

Wow, your friend is Cliff Thorburn. Right?
I still remembered the reaction of him when he did 147.

It would be great if I can have a chance to play pool with you guys.

Look forward to seeing your tank progression.

All the best,

Unread 03/13/2010, 09:19 PM   #154
nineball
Registered Member

Stark reality or an archetecs dream?

The decision is to make the aquarium a part of this that belongs........

how to get there from here.....

Of course this has to go .......

A bit of paint, couple of buckets, a hose and voila
The fish room !!!

perhaps an extension chord or two??

If the furnace is gone maybe we can get rid of this duct work as well......

Unread 03/13/2010, 09:23 PM   #155
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingchai View Post
Wow, your friend is Cliff Thorburn. Right?
I still remembered the reaction of him when he did 147.

It would be great if I can have a chance to play pool with you guys.

Look forward to seeing your tank progression.

All the best,
Very good Chingchai, yes its Cliff Thorburn and some day I will bring all of us together for some of the best wine any of us will have ever had!

Unread 03/13/2010, 09:29 PM   #156
mikeanddanielle
Moved On

I'll be watching this build. Wish I could go this big

Unread 03/13/2010, 09:39 PM   #157
EriksReptiles
Registered Member

Looks amazing!

Thanks Erik

Current Tank Info: all kinds of sizes, fish only and reefs
Unread 03/13/2010, 09:41 PM   #158
muttley000
MTS Sufferer!

Wow, I don't know what else to say. Thank you for the detail and the "story behind the story" My guess is that this will be one of the most interesting threads I have read. I certainly respect your opinion on the research. I am a person of modest means, and my 29 gal build is all I can afford to build, and upkeep in the forseable future. To go larger would be irresponsible. So I have been researching and learning for a few years, I know it will pay off. I am in constant awe of builds like this and look forward to seeing this one come together as well as understand your theory and decision making process. Two side notes, I was in Oakville on business a few years ago, and it was in a beautiful area in a very pretty country. Secondly, congrats on the gold medal! Even though I was pulling for the US, as a long time Redwings fan it was not hard to enjoy seeing Steve Yzerman and Ken Holland enjoying their success! Looking forward to the rest of your story
Matt

Unread 03/13/2010, 10:33 PM   #159
nineball
Registered Member

lets take out all the walls, just leave the stairs open to the floors above.......

Walls gone ......

furnace and duct work gone....

Perhaps we could hide a second RO/DI unit and storage tank under the stairs for one end of the tank......

View from inside the frame for the fish room.....

http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/im...c532cfa1aa47_1

Upgrade power from 200 to 400 AMPS

Unread 03/13/2010, 10:56 PM   #160
solareclisped
Registered Member

I think your build is absolutely awesome. Does anyone have a link to the chingchai build thread. I would love to read it also.

Unread 03/13/2010, 11:01 PM   #161
nineball
Registered Member

Ok this water thingy has to go.........

So this is the view from outside the fish room which stood like this untill we increased the number of devices going into it. Then I had a difficult decision to make........more space for the aquaria and less space for Judy's storage OR less equipment for the fish and honour my promise not to encroach anymore on the storage space........

Stay tuned for this one....

http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/im...78ab3a3d82c7_1

this shot has no direct bearing on the aquarium except its neat......its the west wing corridor past the powder room, wine cellar, elevator, fish food room, terminating in a three room guest suite.

Unread 03/13/2010, 11:09 PM   #162
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solareclisped View Post
I think your build is absolutely awesome. Does anyone have a link to the chingchai build thread. I would love to read it also.
Warning::::::: This thread is highly addicting!!!!! You will give up three or more days of your life if you go bact to the begining(which I highly recommend)

Thanks for joining in.

Peter

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1692183

Last edited by nineball; 03/13/2010 at 11:52 PM. Reason: forgot the link!!!
Unread 03/13/2010, 11:09 PM   #163
hamilton
Registered Member.

Awesome build Peter! This is going to be an epic build thread!!!!

Unread 03/13/2010, 11:27 PM   #164
flying_dutchman
Moved On

A bentley, home theater, wine cellar, three guest suites, 1350g reef etc. etc. May I ask you what you do for a living?

Very impressive build, can't wait to see the results! tagging along.

Unread 03/13/2010, 11:27 PM   #165
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley000 View Post
Wow, I don't know what else to say. Thank you for the detail and the "story behind the story" My guess is that this will be one of the most interesting threads I have read. I certainly respect your opinion on the research. I am a person of modest means, and my 29 gal build is all I can afford to build, and upkeep in the forseable future. To go larger would be irresponsible. So I have been researching and learning for a few years, I know it will pay off. I am in constant awe of builds like this and look forward to seeing this one come together as well as understand your theory and decision making process. Two side notes, I was in Oakville on business a few years ago, and it was in a beautiful area in a very pretty country. Secondly, congrats on the gold medal! Even though I was pulling for the US, as a long time Redwings fan it was not hard to enjoy seeing Steve Yzerman and Ken Holland enjoying their success! Looking forward to the rest of your story
Matt
Thanks Matt, and win or lose that was some of the best hockey on the planet. Every player on both sides of the game deserves our respect regardless of how they are flagged.

I know this will come up frequently but this build is not entirely about size and money, it is about attitude and dedication to this hobby. Nano tanks are and can be just as difficult and demanding to produce a quality result as a 2000 gal tank. So lets stop the person of 'modest means' as a qualifier and merge all our experience to our mutual benefit. This is an experience best served with respect and friendship............even in Oakville!!!!!

welcome to the thread,

Peter

Unread 03/13/2010, 11:28 PM   #166
flying_dutchman
Moved On

BTW,
Do you have any pictures/links of your previous tanks?

Unread 03/13/2010, 11:32 PM   #167
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_dutchman View Post
A bentley, home theater, wine cellar, three guest suites, 1350g reef etc. etc. May I ask you what you do for a living?

Very impressive build, can't wait to see the results! tagging along.
At the moment I mix salt in very large storage vats. I don't seem to be able to find time for anything else.

Welcome aboard,

Peter

Unread 03/13/2010, 11:34 PM   #168
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
BTW,
Do you have any pictures/links of your previous tanks?
nope, I wouldn't even share those with my wife!!!!!!

Peter

Unread 03/13/2010, 11:35 PM   #169
flying_dutchman
Moved On

Quote:
nope, I wouldn't even share those with my wife!!!!!!

Unread 03/13/2010, 11:38 PM   #170
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
What a fantastic build! I look forward to seeing this huge, 100% display system come to life!

In a system this size, Qting your incoming live rock is well worth the effort. It'll be quite a job inspecting, scrubbing, or dipping that much incoming rock. I am not into that in the small volumes of rock I've dealt with. Dealing with unwanted hitch hikers in this big tank wouldn't any fun either. It would be much less tiresome to QT/cure the rock in batches as it arrives. You're gonna need a bunch of rock for this huge tank!
Thanks BAX, I think a ton should get me started....... It will be a solid month to six weeks before it sees the display tank.

welcome to the thread.

Peter

Unread 03/14/2010, 12:01 AM   #171
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanderson View Post
i am also a fan of not dipping live rock. the only problem that can occur is introduction of unwant macro organisms, ie aptasia or crabs. one way around this problem would be to buy a big unreefsafe wrasse and butterfly and let it loose on the rock for a few weeks after the cycle. otherwise i would say before you put the rock in the big tank put it somewhere you can keep an eye on it for a few weeks to see what is crawling around. with my next tank i will be doing a mix of dry rock and live rock from several locales to get a good mix of flora and fauna, but i am not putting it in the tank until a month or so of quarantine. i know all of this is alot easier said than done, but getting rid of any pests from a reef the size of yours would be a nightmare, go slow and be careful. btw i hope you have someone to do the edging on that garden, i hate trying to keep the grass out of my beds. keep up the nice work and thanks for all the posts
very good idea skanderson, this is gonna drive the forum crazy but I'm not in a rush. So the idea of waiting for stability before I add coral doesn't bother me in the least. Getting an unreefsafe wrasse and butterfly works for me. I have enough other tanks planned that will provide for a long and uneventful life 'if they do their work'........

Thanks....great idea.

Peter

Unread 03/14/2010, 12:09 AM   #172
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton View Post
Awesome build Peter! This is going to be an epic build thread!!!!
Thanks Hamilton I appreciate the enthusiasm.........

Peter

Unread 03/14/2010, 12:15 AM   #173
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
OK but if you tell her I showed this in public you will be shown the door.

Got it?

Unread 03/14/2010, 12:45 AM   #174
erics3000
Registered Member

QT in all your live rock and visually inspecting each rock is the only way to go. It would only take one rock with aptashia to be a REAL PITA. I am sure a lot of hobbyist would agree. It is great you have your rock with good flow and a skimmer so you can get rid of your die off before it gets into your display. I am really looking forward to this thread.

Do you listen to any pod casts? There are a few great reef pod cast sites. You can also get some good info from them. When I do any kind of travel I usually have plenty of pod cast to keep me informed and up to date.

(Red House for my 300 display 600 system)

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon system with 300 display
Unread 03/14/2010, 02:08 AM   #175
Crazy One
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
OK but if you tell her I showed this in public you will be shown the door.

Got it?

I'm confused ? what is it?Btw awsome build so far, hopefully your retired, your going to wish you were after this project is done you'll never want to leave the house .LOL

Closed Thread