Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/25/2009, 12:17 AM   #26
scaryperson27
Moved On

This list is Subject to change due to the fact that I am still trying to learn about it.

In the order by preference:

For alk
Lamotte
API
Salifert

Calcium
Elos
API

Nitrates
Elos
API

Phosphates
Not sure exactly. Hannah Photometer.

scaryperson27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2009, 12:18 AM   #27
scaryperson27
Moved On

I've used the Redsea at the LFS that I work and it always gives me high results compared to other test kits.

scaryperson27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2009, 12:38 AM   #28
reefloverd1
returns

i c, so it looks like if I get the API I'll be covered.

Could that mean the redsea is more sensitive or just unreliable?

Don't think I can spring for a photometer right now. the test kits will have to do.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have Their shoes.

Current Tank Info: 14 gal. Biocube
reefloverd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2009, 06:56 AM   #29
sunrise1982
Registered Member

I have tried vodka method and got success. So, my exprience is patient and keep dosing vodka. It will be better if you use some good products which provide good bacterias to your tank at the same time as dosing vodka. Also, I change water as routine.
My tank is about 40 gallon, so I start at 2ml/day in 1 week and keep increasing dosing volume to 5ml/ day. At that point my nitrate goes to 0. I hope u will also be succesfull

Unread 03/25/2009, 07:10 AM   #30
SWINGRRRR
Premium Member

I’m sure you are, but at 9:30 at night, are your lights still on? It’s best to dose with lights on.

I have been dosing for a couple of weeks, but I’m only up to adding 1.5ml/day on a 135 gallon tank. Needless to say I’m taking it extremely slow.

Current Tank Info: 45gal Rimless mixed reef--SWC 150BMK--2xMP10ESW--Giesemann 150W HQI
SWINGRRRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2009, 02:45 PM   #31
reefloverd1
returns

WOW, sunrise1982, that is alot to start with, why did you start with that much? Do you mean 0.2 and 0.5mL?

SWINGRRRR, no my lights are off then, why is it best to dose when the lights are on?

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have Their shoes.

Unread 03/25/2009, 02:54 PM   #32
SWINGRRRR
Premium Member

I understand that there a reduction in disolved oxygen due to the bacteria uptaking it. After lights out, there's already a reduction in disolved oxygen because no photosynthesis is taking place.
I think it's best to dose within an hour or so of lights on. This way photosynethsis happening by tank algea well help compensate for the bacteria respiration.
Even people that run chaeto, there's still a huge dissolved oxygen reduction.

Current Tank Info: 45gal Rimless mixed reef--SWC 150BMK--2xMP10ESW--Giesemann 150W HQI
Unread 03/25/2009, 03:28 PM   #33
reefloverd1
returns

i c, thanks for the advice.

Unread 03/25/2009, 09:23 PM   #34
sunrise1982
Registered Member

to reefoverd1: the reason was because I started at a low level. And I didn't get a good result as I expected. A friend from Germany instructed me to dose slowlly from 2ml/week to 5ml/week (based on my volume tank water). So, I tried patiently to follow his instruction for 3 months. Now, I got No3: 0. I also made a small experiment to make sure that No3 is still 0 winthin 2 weeks without water change or not????. After the experiment, I realized that when I dose vodka everyday within 2 weeks I see No3 is till the same as 0. Nothing change at all.

That is my experience. maybe it's good for me to do that. But it may be unsuitable to you. However, one thing I would say...more risk and more return..hehehe...If you don't want to get risk, it will take you long time to success...

Unread 03/26/2009, 07:55 AM   #35
reefloverd1
returns

sunrise,
I understand how you feel about getting results fast, but I think I will stick with the slow "safe" side of the method.
Thanks for the input and I hope that keeps working for you.

Unread 03/26/2009, 03:51 PM   #36
reefloverd1
returns

this is the 7th day to dose. Dose will be 0.4mL of vodka. tomarrow that dose should be increased by 0.5 mL(per RK mag), But To make it easier on myself, I am going to increase it by 0.6 mL to make it an even 1mL. I am also going to start dosing an hour earlier each day until I reach 7:30 am (when my lights turn on. i.e. 8:30pm, 7:30pm,6;30pm......etc.

Unread 03/26/2009, 04:14 PM   #37
SWINGRRRR
Premium Member

Sounds like a good plan. My lights come on in the late evening, when I am home, and I spread my dose out over 30 minutes. Although, I'm not sure if it matters or not. I dose .5ml then 15 minutes, .5ml, then 15 minutes, then the final dose. Again, I don't know if it matters.

I haven't really seen any kinda of difference yet though in my tank. My system is probably about 150 gal total, and I only dose 1.5 ml total. I started about 3 weeks ago, maybe more.

Unread 03/27/2009, 12:33 AM   #38
reefloverd1
returns

I did another water change, but this time I did a 10% water change. I tested my nitrates and it's 20ppm.

Unread 03/29/2009, 01:03 PM   #39
reefloverd1
returns

Todays dose will be at 5:30pm and 1mL. No ill effects so far @ 10 days into this. Inhabitants seem normal and happy. No no visible change whatsoever.

Unread 04/02/2009, 01:42 PM   #40
reefloverd1
returns

1:30 pm last dose @1 mL, tomorrows dose will be 1.5mL.

Unread 04/05/2009, 12:18 AM   #41
martinhal
Registered Member

Smile

Tagging along with keen interest

martinhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2009, 07:39 AM   #42
zooxanth
Registered Member

If your NO3 has dropped from 50 to 20ppm in 10 days, I would not increase the vodka dose as it is working well at 1ml. I would continue at 1ml a day and keep a check before increasing dose. So long as NO3 is still dropping stick to 1ml untill NO3 at 0 then reduce by half and check there is no increase

Current Tank Info: 450ltr bowfront, 6 54w t5's, sumpless, Deltec mce 600, aquatronica with dosing pumps for balling lite
zooxanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2009, 12:15 PM   #43
reefloverd1
returns

something was faulty with that test kit, zooxanth, that is why I am still increasing my dosage. I bought a new API test kit and my nitrates have not changed from 50ppm, sorry everyone forgot to relay that bit of info.

Unread 04/09/2009, 12:36 AM   #44
reefloverd1
returns

so I am finally dosing @7:30 am when my lights come on. Today is the 1 wk mark for 1.5mL vodka dose. I will be testing later today to see if I should maintain this dose or increase it another 0.5 mL.

Unread 04/09/2009, 12:46 PM   #45
SWINGRRRR
Premium Member

See any results yet? I slacked off for about a week while work was crazy. Ive started again at a lower dose than when I quit. I'm still not seeing a reduction in the little bit of GHA I have. I have seen my coral colors darkening up and popping alot better though. I don't know if its because of the vodka though. I changed skimmers from a RS80 to a NW200 w/ Sicce. And my VHO's have burned out.

Unread 04/09/2009, 01:31 PM   #46
reefloverd1
returns

Yes! SWINGRRRR I just finished testing and it looks like 1.5mL is the magic # for my tank The nitrates tested 10ppm and the phosphates are unchanged unfortunately. they are still 0.5ppm

Unread 04/09/2009, 01:40 PM   #47
reefloverd1
returns

pics of results

The nitrate test.

[/IMG]

And the phosphate test

[/IMG]

I am very excited that things are starting to show results.

Now I will maintain 1.5mL until I reach 0 nitrates then I will reduce my dosage by half and monitor to make sure they don't creep back up on me.

i dunno but it really seemed to help while dosing while my lights were on. cant be sure that is why it is greatly reduced but seems like it happened about the same time. could be the length of time I had been dosing as well. I guess the only way to tell would be to eliminate all but one factor, and that is hard to do when you have stuff living in your tank.

Unread 04/09/2009, 01:50 PM   #48
reefloverd1
returns

ok dont know why pics arent working lets try that again

Unread 04/09/2009, 01:52 PM   #49
reefloverd1
returns

pics

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Unread 04/09/2009, 01:53 PM   #50
reefloverd1
returns

weird :-(