Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/07/2018, 03:30 PM   #1
Rick55555
Registered Member

VorTech MP40WQD Dry-side Stopped Working

Hi,

My VorTech MP40WQD started making an audible spinning noise spontaneously. The noise was audible from across the living room and was significantly louder than the pump's normal operating sound (which was non-existent, unless I was standing in front of the pump, with an ear closely near the pump). I unplugged the pump and plugged it back in and it wouldn't spin (i.e. there's no movement or the sense of movement on the dry-side, irrespective of what mode it's in). I unplugged the pump again and plugged it back in and the noise returned. At this point, the pump is back to being dead silent and won't spin, without any sensation of movement coming from the dry-side when I touch it or any visible movement along the wet-side. The wet-side was cleaned about a weak ago and doesn't have any calcification or coraline on it. I purchased the pump new from Premium Aquatics in July 2017 and it has been in operation for less than a year.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

Rick55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2018, 06:56 PM   #2
Tom39
Registered Member

VorTech MP40WQD Dry-side Stopped Working

My 1st suggestion would be a small snail slithered into the cage causing the noise. This has happened to me 2-3x in the last year.
Or
Check your magnet in your wet side. My QD plastic housing encasing the magnet cracked and swelled causing similar symptoms. Ecotech CS was awesome in my situation and warrantied the wetside without a bit of hesitation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 150g Marineland Cube
Tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2018, 09:49 PM   #3
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

I would suspect the bearings of the dry side has seized. Even though you're at the 1 year threshold, I'm quite certain that ecotech will take care of you. Give their customer service a call right away.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2018, 11:41 AM   #4
Rick55555
Registered Member

I appreciate the feedback. It looks like there's an issue with the pump's dry-side. The tech I spoke with (whose name evades me) was willing to replace the dry-side despite the fact that the pump falls outside the warranty period (by a couple of months).

You were right about Ecotech taking care of me. Excellent service. With a short initial hold time, the troubleshooting and dry-side replacement request/order took a mere 15 minutes on the telephone.

Thanks!
Rick

Rick55555 is offline   Reply With Quote