Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/17/2017, 12:34 PM   #876
scuzy
Registered Member

So I ran my two marine pure blocks for over a year in a system with 0 corals now I started putting corals in and all seems pretty happy. Maybe it'll leach away over time?

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 12:49 PM   #877
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
So I ran my two marine pure blocks for over a year in a system with 0 corals now I started putting corals in and all seems pretty happy. Maybe it'll leach away over time?
You probably won't end up seeing any difference in your corals. Almost nobody has seen noticeable issues with corals since adding MarinePure blocks (myself included). You may have high aluminum levels in your water column, but with high aluminum levels from MarinePure blocks people generally haven't seen related issues with their corals.

I ended up removing mine because I didn't need the assistance in taking care of my bioload, and haven't noticed a difference in my corals.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 12:51 PM   #878
Antman
Registered Member

IF I pull my blocks out after a year will my nitrates go up ?? sorry if this has been covered how is matrix seachem

Antman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 01:01 PM   #879
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antman View Post
IF I pull my blocks out after a year will my nitrates go up ?? sorry if this has been covered how is matrix seachem
If you don't have enough surface area or some other export method for nitrate it could go up.

Matrix is a pumice stone. I have about 8 liters of it in my sump. Seems fine. It would leach what ever is in the stone but should be trace amounts. Seachem claims its a clean source.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 01:09 PM   #880
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I didn't notice any nutrient increase after removing the blocks from my tank, though I'm not a heavy feeder. If you feed heavily in your tank, and have battled algae issues in the past that went away when you added the blocks, then you may have an issue again once you remove them.

Unread 08/17/2017, 01:14 PM   #881
bertoni
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
If you don't have enough surface area or some other export method for nitrate it could go up.
I agree. This is the bottom line for any nutrient export mechanism: it might be needed; it might not. We don't have enough data to predict what's going to happen. If you want to reduce the amount of Matrix in the system, I'd suggest going slowly.

Unread 08/17/2017, 08:36 PM   #882
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

I spoke to Dr tim at reefapalooza as well for a while in regards to marinepure, brightwell, medias in general. He said tanks with some substrate and minimal live rock would already suffice for proper bacteria housing to support a tank. He added carbon could dictate nutrient reduction after a tank is cycled, not the medias, as their population will starve without proper food(carbon) no matter how much media to house them your tank has.

So one can have ten marine pure blocks in a 20 gal system and still run high nutrients if no carbon source is given to feed the nitrifying bacterias beyond their limited nitrifying capacity (depending on bioload, of course).

He said however bare bottom tanks can benefit to some small amount of media as they would play the role of substrate.

Last edited by ReefCowboy; 08/17/2017 at 08:43 PM.
ReefCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 10:46 PM   #883
jason2459
Registered Member

Well, any element that is limited that bacteria needs is going to limit bacteria. N, P, C, K, Mg, Fe, etc. The media is just that, media for anything to grown on.

At some point though I do plan on removing my block media but not for a while. I much prefer rock like pukani for other organisms to be able to crawl through and live in besides just bacteria.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 08/18/2017, 04:20 AM   #884
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, any element that is limited that bacteria needs is going to limit bacteria. N, P, C, K, Mg, Fe, etc. The media is just that, media for anything to grown on.

At some point though I do plan on removing my block media but not for a while. I much prefer rock like pukani for other organisms to be able to crawl through and live in besides just bacteria.
Exactly. I don't buy the idea that just dropping a block will lower nitrates as some report. Pukani is a good idea, I might do the same

Unread 08/18/2017, 05:48 AM   #885
jason2459
Registered Member

I agree. If a person has sufficient surface area already adding more will do very little.

Unread 08/18/2017, 09:18 AM   #886
RedStangGA
Registered Member

The whole point of the blocks is to increase surface area for bacteria. This is beneficial if you want a minimalist aquascape, want to run a heavily stocked tank, or are just having general nitrate nutrient issues. The key is to find the balance.

Unread 08/18/2017, 03:00 PM   #887
bertoni
RC Mod

I agree that organisms will require carbon to grow, but nitrate can be reduced as a steady state process, and adding more media usually will increase denitrification, as the microbes are using the nitrate as an oxygen source. That's different than dosing organic carbon, where the organisms are using nitrate for the nitrogen, which then gets exported along with some carbon and phosphate. Denitrification only need export nitrogen gas.

Unread 08/18/2017, 08:43 PM   #888
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I agree that organisms will require carbon to grow, but nitrate can be reduced as a steady state process, and adding more media usually will increase denitrification, as the microbes are using the nitrate as an oxygen source. That's different than dosing organic carbon, where the organisms are using nitrate for the nitrogen, which then gets exported along with some carbon and phosphate. Denitrification only need export nitrogen gas.
Agree with all stated 100%. My conclusion is some tanks lack ideal mediums for the bacteria to grow, such barebottom tanks, or tanks with very little rockwork. The blocks providing anaerobic areas for water to flow through maximize "pathways" for the nitrification process. These tanks would benefit to a certain degree using these media blocks. Other tanks with already proper mediums would not see any change, unless bacteria can be stimulated to grow beyond normal population due to increased nitrogen.

I mentioned carbon dosing because that addition with the ideal medium would equal great nitrification.

Unread 08/30/2017, 09:19 AM   #889
Antman
Registered Member

I did a 15 gallon water change on my 57 rimless mixed reef yesterday( long over due) usualy do 15 G every 2 weeks
and I pulled 3 brightwell bricks out of my sump ..They were very soft and on the verg of falling apart .
Lets see how my tank responds . Hope to see better polyps on my softies .
My nitrates were at 20

Antman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2017, 09:37 AM   #890
bif24701
Registered Member

I have 3 Marine Pure Blocks in my system. Just got my ICP-Analysis back and AL is completely normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2017, 09:46 AM   #891
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
I have 3 Marine Pure Blocks in my system. Just got my ICP-Analysis back and AL is completely normal.
Interesting, thanks for sharing! All datapoints are helpful to collect in this hobby. Mine (through Triton) was 50ug/l vs. a benchmark of 2ug/l.

I wonder if it's just a parameter that is hard to definitively get a reading on in general or something. My results were definitely consistent with others who tested with Marine Pure blocks though. :: shrug ::

Unread 08/30/2017, 11:21 AM   #892
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
Interesting, thanks for sharing! All datapoints are helpful to collect in this hobby. Mine (through Triton) was 50ug/l vs. a benchmark of 2ug/l.

I wonder if it's just a parameter that is hard to definitively get a reading on in general or something. My results were definitely consistent with others who tested with Marine Pure blocks though. :: shrug ::

Yet no one has definitively linked higher Al to poor coral health

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 08/30/2017, 01:28 PM   #893
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Yet no one has definitively linked higher Al to poor coral health

Randy has and I have potentially as well.

Randy also has posted an interesting set of information on the other forum that is not good.

Unread 08/30/2017, 02:03 PM   #894
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Randy has and I have potentially as well.

Randy also has posted an interesting set of information on the other forum that is not good.

Aside from Randy and with all due respect he was the first to bring up a potential issue with Al from Marine Pure.

I've seen the information and read your post. There is still a lacking of direct evidence to claim MP is harmful. That's all I'm saying.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 08/30/2017, 02:06 PM   #895
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Aside from Randy and with all due respect he was the first to bring up a potential issue with Al from Marine Pure.

I've seen the information and read your post. There is still a lacking of direct evidence to claim MP is harmful. That's all I'm saying.

From what I interpret there is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Holmes-Farley, post: 3997614, member: 45227
FWIW, I have confidentially discussed aluminum issues in the past week with a company that makes probes for seawater and they have clear data that the aluminum that is released into some reef from popular hobby products is not "inert". The idea that it was "inert" or particulate in form is, IMO, an unsupported assertion by some of the manufacturers, starting with Seachem years ago. It is VERY difficult to distinguish forms of aluminum in seawater. I have not personally done so, except to show that aluminum released from Phosguard can pass through very fine (0.45 micron) filters.

I discuss aluminum issues (including my earlier measurements and toxicity tests) here:

Chemistry And The Aquarium: Aluminum In The Reef Aquarium ? Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...y2003/chem.htm

Unread 08/30/2017, 02:08 PM   #896
jason2459
Registered Member

Fyi I still have marine pure and brightwell products in my sump with no plans to remove them anytime soon.

Unread 08/30/2017, 02:32 PM   #897
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
From what I interpret there is

If you have to interpret, it's not direct. If I had seen it myself or even possibly someone I knew maybe I would change my opinion.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 08/30/2017, 02:34 PM   #898
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
If you have to interpret, it's not direct. If I had seen it myself or even possibly someone I knew maybe I would change my opinion.

I have a good trust in Randy. I'm sure he would more then welcome any questions you have on it

Unread 08/30/2017, 05:04 PM   #899
bif24701
Registered Member

Marine pure ceramic biomedia

I've done the reading, all I do is read. If there was indeed a problem that could be linked to MP it would certainly be reported here on the boards considering the number of members and users of the products.

I too have the upmost respect for Randy. He gives me the science I need to Reef and much more. I enjoy every article of his I have read.

I don't feel in anyway that what I am saying detracts from Randy's impeccable legacy. I just disagree.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Last edited by bif24701; 08/30/2017 at 05:17 PM.
Unread 08/30/2017, 09:46 PM   #900
desjardinii
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desjardinii View Post
I'm helping my marinpure with nopox and am currently dropping 2 x 6ml doses per day straight into the media.
In a couple of months I plan to reduce dosing and see if the mp can handle things on it's own.
Ok so after 10 months I started slowly reducing nopox to nothing and the No3 crept back up to 20ppm so it hasn't really worked for me. I decided to pull all the mp out and have resumed dosing again. Perhaps it wasn't enough time to get established, i don't know. There was a lot of debris from the block which had not been touched and it was in a low flow area but the balls were good. I'm going to replace the bioballs with the mp in the sump in my FW tank so it's not such a waste and should do a much better job there.

desjardinii is offline   Reply With Quote