Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2015, 10:37 AM   #951
dave.m
Registered Member

Well, if you are looking for ideas, I was thinking that, with the restriction of the comparatively low ceilings in the basement, and considering that all your systems are in the fish room which results in all that area under the stand being effectively lost space, next time you could go with a shorter stand and a taller tank, say 36-42" inches tall.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2015, 10:48 AM   #952
nuccadoc
Registered Member

Peter, finding the words to say at this point is quite difficult. I am truly sorry for your loss, I wish I lived closer to offer support but alas I am too far away. With that said I am excited to see what you will do next.

Scott

Current tank info: 34 gal Solana and a 400 gal FOWLR with 4-250 watt MH's, Aquamedic Turboflotor 5000, Korralin sulphur denitrator, 4-Koralia 7's. 120 gal LED sps reef in the works. Currently raising true Perc's.
nuccadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2015, 11:02 AM   #953
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Well, if you are looking for ideas, I was thinking that, with the restriction of the comparatively low ceilings in the basement, and considering that all your systems are in the fish room which results in all that area under the stand being effectively lost space, next time you could go with a shorter stand and a taller tank, say 36-42" inches tall.

Dave.M
Good suggestion. I like both tall tanks and the aesthetic afforded by them to have a lower stand. If it were a basic reef with leather corals and mushrooms etc. it would be a no brainer to go 4-5' tall, but an SPS reef needs too much gardening to go higher than 30". Having said that, chingchai's reef is the nicest one on the planet and it is 4' high. I suppose if I lost 15lbs I could fit onto a 14' L x 4' W x 4' H reef tank

The wall of water idea is tempting. We are set in the idea that the tank needs to fit through Peter's double doors in his basement or be built on site. We will be looking at glass and acrylic options with onsite builds in mind. It will likely be an American manufacturer as the local ones don't specialize in this kind of large build.

mr.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2015, 11:29 AM   #954
vaporize
Registered Member

Really sorry to hear that Peter, still in shock with the loss, take care with the cold~

while you are waiting, maybe you will cut up your old one to make smaller frag tanks - give something for Mr.Wilson to do.

vaporize is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2015, 11:39 AM   #955
sbleile
Registered Member

Peter,

I'm so sorry for your loss, I am really feeling crushed over here. I had a major crash happen two and a half years ago, and it took me over a year to recover from it. You are in my thoughts and prayers, and I can't wait to see how the new build goes. Keep us posted.
Scott

Current Tank Info: 335 gallon DT/ ~700 gallon TWV FOWLR/small Reef
sbleile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2015, 11:55 AM   #956
ksed
Registered Member

Peter, sorry to hear about this incident. I know you will come back with another great build. Looking forward to seeing it soon.

ksed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2015, 01:55 PM   #957
mm949
Registered Member

this is everyone's worst nightmare, regardless of size.
props to peter, shawn and the crew for pushing forward and not dwelling on the worse...

had a similar issue when my buddy bill woke at 5am to an empty tank!
6" surge pipe broke and drained 18,000gls water so fast the 4000gl sump didn't run dry!
the 2500gl's left in the tank saved ALL the fish, but most of the massive corals did not.
don't give up, now i have to check all the seams on my 18ft reef.

Current Tank Info: ...18ft of double sided goodness
mm949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2015, 02:35 PM   #958
JB NY
Registered Member

Oh Peter I am so sorry to read this, that was a spectacular tank. My condolences.

TOTM Sept 2002 | Reefland April 2004 | CORAL Magazine Nov 2007
Featured Tank "Coral Reef Aquarium" 2011 | Reef Spotlight 2018

Current Tank Info: 270G SPS Tank, 140G sumps, 35G Frag Tank, Ultra Reef Akula UKS-200 Skimmer, Apex, Giesemann Spectra 3x250W MH 4x80W T5, 2xReefbrite Tech 72" Blue LED, Triton Dosing, ARID C30 Algae Reactor, Maxspect Gyre
JB NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2015, 02:40 PM   #959
Mark...
Registered Member

True condolences...come back better!

Current Tank Info: 180
Mark... is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2015, 02:57 PM   #960
slief
RC Sponsor

Wow.. I'm speechless. I'm not even sure what to say.. I can't even imagine your grief. I've followed your thread from the beginning. I'm so sorry for this tragic loss. Words can't express my sadness for you and your tank. I hope things can be worked out amicably between you and ATM although nothing can fix the losses.

Again, my heart felt condolences. Your build has been an inspiration to many of us and I'm sure I can speak for most if not all of us here at RC, we share in your pain and sadness.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2015, 03:34 PM   #961
jbvdhp
Registered Member

I had to watch the initial videos again on YouTube for old times sake.

Current Tank Info: 8' 240 gallons of headache
jbvdhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2015, 03:43 PM   #962
Sangheili
Registered Member

And I thought my room-flooding experience was horrible with my Nuvo 24gallon system. I can only imagine how everyone involved must feel.

With that said, I personally find the planning, building, and stocking part of having a reef to be the most fun.

If I can make a suggestion, if your looking at glass tanks I would contact Felix @ ReefSavvy. As far as I know he has not done anything this large but his workmanship is nearly unbeatable. He will be building my next tank (if finances allow).

Sangheili is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2015, 04:35 PM   #963
Oldude
Premium Member

Peter I am truly sorry for your loss - it is a real heart breaker!
This sort of thing is a hassle nobody needs but on this scale words to describe it are hard to find.
Best of luck moving forward.

~ April 2010 TOTM ~
Oldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2015, 06:00 PM   #964
Reefhulk
Registered Member

Peter, you were a personal inspiration for me to move from a manageable 120 ... To a 400 gallon,.... My sincerest condolences for your loss and many peoples inspiration.

You sir are a scholar and a gentlemen,....

As Peter's and Mr Wilson's dedication and experiences have certainly taught me a host of lessons, and some expensive savings by those lessons. I would like to suggest we all , take our next frag purchase and donate it to the rebuild that seems to be looming on the horizon,... As a "reef keepers school fee" for costs saved and the new lesson We will learn on the next journey , I pledge the first 100 on the next frag I sell or will buy. Perhaps we will not replace what was lost but, we could lesson the burden. Easiest is to setup a new PayPal account .. As we all have one ... And donate your next frag ...

Reefhulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2015, 06:55 PM   #965
Raul-7
Registered Member

Honestly, this makes me angry at ATM. Not only do they make ridiculous shows, but they make shoddy aquariums as well.

We just lost one of the best reef aquariums on RC [better than any mickey mouse aquarium they output] and it's all their fault.

Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 03:59 AM   #966
Kaydubya
Registered Member

How devastating......I just couldn't even imagine how you feel. What an incredible loss. I wish you good luck for the future and I hope this will all end well.

Kaydubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 04:25 AM   #967
LefkoNJ
Registered Member

Carry on Peter, the tank was beautiful and I look forward to the next one being even better.

LefkoNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 09:01 AM   #968
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm949 View Post
this is everyone's worst nightmare, regardless of size.
props to peter, shawn and the crew for pushing forward and not dwelling on the worse...

had a similar issue when my buddy bill woke at 5am to an empty tank!
6" surge pipe broke and drained 18,000gls water so fast the 4000gl sump didn't run dry!
the 2500gl's left in the tank saved ALL the fish, but most of the massive corals did not.
don't give up, now i have to check all the seams on my 18ft reef.
I just heard about Bill's tank crash from Peter yesterday. Very sorry to hear. I know Bill is very thorough in his design and build, but often things are out of your hands.

mr.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 09:16 AM   #969
SeattleReef
Registered Member

Bill is rebuilding too! He is taking the time to fix some thing that bothered him but he couldn't mess with before the flood. Luckily he was left with 2,500g or 18'' of water on the bottom of his tank so all his fish survived but his coral was a total loss. His loss was from a 6'' surge pipe that broke and he blames himself for using cheap glue from the hardware store rather than quality industrial glue. Bummer!

He also is looking for ideas to build a Green House to grow coral in, and still looking into building a 65,000g or bigger aquarium.

SeattleReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 09:18 AM   #970
Elliott
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleReef View Post
Bill is rebuilding too! He is taking the time to fix some thing that bothered him but he couldn't mess with before the flood. Luckily he was left with 2,500g or 18'' of water on the bottom of his tank so all his fish survived but his coral was a total loss. His loss was from a 6'' surge pipe that broke and he blames himself for using cheap glue from the hardware store rather than quality industrial glue. Bummer!

He also is looking for ideas to build a Green House to grow coral in, and still looking into building a 65,000g or bigger aquarium.
does Bill have a build thread?

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 09:31 AM   #971
SeattleReef
Registered Member

I don't believe it's on RC but it's out there just search for it with his name. It's the biggest private aquarium in the U.S. He also builds the best quality slimmers for monster tanks 400g and up like Peters.

SeattleReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 09:31 AM   #972
A_CoupleClowns
Registered Member

SO sorry to hear about this. This loss cannot even be put into words, it is un-imaginable. We just learned about this tank around a week ago when the "update coming soon" post hit, but were having a wonderful time looking back and going through the build.

I hope everything is made right by ATM and ASAP. Sometimes I think pain like this event must be causing can only be numbed by keeping busy. There is no better way to keep busy than starting a new, BETTER build. Don't quit reminding yourselves that this round is going to be even better than the first.

If we were across the border in Canada we would send you guys our whole frag rack for the new build. Good luck, we will be following along and rooting for you guys on the "better build"! Again sorry to hear about this tremendous loss. Keep your heads up.

A_CoupleClowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 10:23 AM   #973
dallasg
Reefing from South Africa

i feel for you and judy, and all those emotionally connected to probably the best part of the ocean outside of the ocean, i send virtual support and thoughts
i am glad you have had great guidance from mr.wlson and others who i am sure are monumental to the success of this reef too

i have experienced this on a smaller scale, and i am happy to hear you are "soldering" on, without a doubt i know in my heart the next journey will be just as grand

Reefing in Southern Africa!
dallasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 10:31 AM   #974
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wilson View Post
With all of the stress of the disaster we haven't discussed how to rebuild or even how to pay for it yet, so we will be looking to the RC community for suggestions.

The tank may be half the size of the original (1300 gallons) if the warranty isn't honoured...
Not an acrylic expert, but is it at all possible for ATM to send their people and equipment there, to 'remove' the (damaged) short section of the L, and 'weld' in a new end panel to the long section, (as well as additional inside seam 'braces')... which would still leave more than 1/2 the original size.

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 10:59 AM   #975
Made2Rock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
Not an acrylic expert, but is it at all possible for ATM to send their people and equipment there, to 'remove' the (damaged) short section of the L, and 'weld' in a new end panel to the long section, (as well as additional inside seam 'braces')... which would still leave more than 1/2 the original size.
The problem with that is they already messed up one joint are there more?

Made2Rock is offline   Reply With Quote