Other 26 11.02%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 04/04/2012, 06:50 PM   #2201
jason2459
Registered Member

Sorry, lets try this again.

http://youtu.be/QyNO5p8eHtM?hd=1

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2012, 10:15 PM   #2202
jason2459
Registered Member

Got to see my Potter's tonight and looking just stunning under just blue LEDs. The orangish/yellow is what I normally get to see during the day wiht some blue highlights getting darker toward the tail but under actinics he looks totally different with the blue glowing metalic like and the rest of the both looking black. Kind of like he's wearing a tron outfit on.

I took the best pics I could but you just don't get that shiny blue effect. Like the lyretail in this first picture also has eyes that glow blue as well with the blue strip under the mouth.

Man just so wish you could really see the glowing shinining neon effects on him. He's by far my favorite fish in the tank right now even though he is a butthead.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 04/06/2012, 06:17 AM   #2203
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

ooooooooohhhhhhhh nice and he looks to be pretty good size too!

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2012, 07:47 AM   #2204
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwrasseman View Post
ooooooooohhhhhhhh nice and he looks to be pretty good size too!
Thanks. I'm surprised how much he's grown since I got him not that long ago. I was scared he wasn't going to make it at all actually. He was kind of skinny and his mouth was damaged. The skin was pealed back and you could see the white beak like teeth. From what I read in this thread it was a sure goner when that happens. I fed like a SOB constantly and eventually the lips started coming back and he's kind of plump now. hmm... could be another reason for a algae outbreak I haven't cut back on the number of feedings but I have cut back on the amount each time a bit. Also upped my vinegar being dosed and that seems to be helping a lot and algae is dying off now. It was worth it to have this handsome guy pull through.

Unread 04/06/2012, 01:44 PM   #2205
aandfsoccr04
Registered Member

my M. Bipartitus:

Unread 04/19/2012, 03:42 PM   #2206
Tracey2
Registered Member

I have only had my leopard wrasse for a week but he is quicly becoming one of my favorites. He is eating pe mysis, pellets, plankton and flakes. My powder blue tang wasn't very welcoming but now he's one of the gang.

Tracey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2012, 06:42 PM   #2207
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

great to hear ,another wrasse lover in this world wont hurt a thing !

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
Unread 04/19/2012, 07:47 PM   #2208
Mike S
Registered Member

My bipartitus has been in my tank for about a month and seems to be doing well. He's eating a variety of frozen food and hikari freeze dried brine but has touched flakes or pellets. One odd thing is his sleep schedule. After about a week he got in sync with my light schedule. For the past week he seems to be bedding down earlier and is only up for about 7 hours. Is normal and just part off the adjustment process?

Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2012, 08:00 PM   #2209
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

absolutely not normal , do your best to get him eating better as this may be the begining of a downward spiral in the wrasses health .he needs to eat better and you can try live brine or nutrimar ova as they both are greedily accepted and will help out .

Dave

Unread 04/19/2012, 08:32 PM   #2210
Mike S
Registered Member

He is eating two to three times a day, and eats aggressively and is active when he is up. I'm trying to mix a variety of frozen including pe mysis, rods and a couple of other frozen food. Anything else that I can do?

Unread 04/19/2012, 08:34 PM   #2211
Mike S
Registered Member

I also did two rounds of prazi over a two week period.

Unread 04/19/2012, 09:49 PM   #2212
Buzzword
Registered Member

Ok PIA has 2 potters for sale and I want one so bad I can't think of anthing else! But I think my little PBT (about 3 inches) would kill it. I tried to add another small wrasse a month ago but PBT harrassed the hell out of it. You wrasse experts out there would it work if I kept the Potters in a acclimation box for 3-4 days, let the PBT get used to seeing it? Any other suggestions? Or should I just wait till I upgrade to 180g later this year? Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Buzzword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2012, 07:14 AM   #2213
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

Mike,i would figure out when he is burrowing in for the night and feed him well a half hour before that time . this may keep him up later
Buzz, i would try to actually remove the tang for the first week or so and get the wrasses eating and well then reintroduce him along with some aquascaping so when the tang comes back the settings will not be familiar. keep in mind that it could take longer for the wrasses to get fully into your tank and eating well etc.

Dave

Unread 04/20/2012, 07:43 AM   #2214
Mike S
Registered Member

Thanks I'll give that a shot. I'm pretty sure that he is hunkering down right around the time I get home from work. I'll keep an eye on him this weekend and give my wife instructions to do a feeding late in the afternoon. I was hoping that I had made it through the tough period.... fingers crossed.

Unread 04/20/2012, 09:53 AM   #2215
Buzzword
Registered Member

Yeah I think the tang has gotta go b/cI love the wrasses more. Wife will be upset but she'll get over it.

Unread 04/20/2012, 08:18 PM   #2216
Chinch Bug
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzword View Post
Ok PIA has 2 potters for sale and I want one so bad I can't think of anthing else! But I think my little PBT (about 3 inches) would kill it. I tried to add another small wrasse a month ago but PBT harrassed the hell out of it. You wrasse experts out there would it work if I kept the Potters in a acclimation box for 3-4 days, let the PBT get used to seeing it? Any other suggestions? Or should I just wait till I upgrade to 180g later this year? Any thoughts or comments are welcome.
Whenever I add a fish I put a mirror up against the tank for the first three days which totally preoccupies my PBT. After the new fish has acclimated I remove it. Doing this actually caused my female meliagris to turn male.

Chinch Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2012, 08:56 PM   #2217
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

hey that sounds like a great idea and i will have to try that trick !for sure . in my 210 display tank i have eleven mixed leopards and tamarins and have no fighting at all . i tribute this to six to eight feedings a day . yes i do have to do 21% water changes weekly but it is certainly worth it especially when the fishes health is taken into consideration

Dave

Unread 04/21/2012, 10:49 AM   #2218
Buzzword
Registered Member

Chinch Bug I may have to try that. I know he would just go nuts over his reflection, he already does after water changes.

Unread 04/24/2012, 01:42 PM   #2219
drtrash
Registered Member

What is prazi pro? Thinking of trying a leopard again.

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2012, 01:59 PM   #2220
Mike S
Registered Member

Prazipro is a parasite treatment which the leopards appear to be prone to. After reading through this thread it appears that he general consensus is to do at least 2 or 3 rounds of prazi treatments about 7 days apart. Do a large water change and maybe run carbon between the treatments. You can do a prazi treatment in a reef tank, just be warned that you will have lots of micro bubbles during that time. My tank looked like a snow globe when I first did the treatments. Do yourself a favor a read through as much as this thread as you can.

Unread 04/24/2012, 03:04 PM   #2221
drtrash
Registered Member

What is the timeframe they go downhill? first few weeks or months? I have read most of it and still seems to be hit and miss. would like to try another Bipart but have lost 2 or 3 over last 5 yrs.

Unread 04/24/2012, 03:35 PM   #2222
Mike S
Registered Member

I wish I could tell you through experience but I'm trying my first one and I've only had his for 5 weeks.

Unread 04/24/2012, 04:55 PM   #2223
drtrash
Registered Member

How often do you have to feed them, what size leopard? I was told to avoid a small one (<1.5")

Unread 04/24/2012, 05:04 PM   #2224
Mike S
Registered Member

My bipartitus is about 4 inches. I have a few other wrasses and anthias in my tank and a not shy about feeding. :-) I probably feed 4 or 5 times a day.. All small meals.

Unread 04/24/2012, 06:25 PM   #2225
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

Albeit you don't have to read through this entire thread(recommend it), please go back a few pages as all your answers are here. Not withstanding that you can't ask one! It is helpful to gain some research in addition to the few questions that u have...