Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/05/2017, 12:04 PM   #51
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Wait... third garage?

Ok the question now isn't why are you getting a bigger tank, it's why did you wait this long to get a bigger tank?

Unread 05/05/2017, 12:32 PM   #52
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsuphysics View Post
Wait... third garage?
Yes, that was 2009's 'boredom' project. Had a buddy dig and set the foundation and I did the structure. Wife, at the time, was fed up with all my woodworking tools cluttering up the 2 bays.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2017, 08:41 AM   #53
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Debating with myself what, if any, additional floor reinforcement will be required for this new tank. Current 265 is in this same spot, holds 240 gallons and weighs about 2,700 lbs. The new tank will hold 400 gallons and weigh about 4,100 lbs, a not inconsequential difference. Current tank is on the ground floor above the basement, so it's a joist floor. It straddles a weight bearing cinder block foundation wall with a sistered 2x4 room wall; the front length of the tank is sitting on a parallel 10" joist that is supported to the basement slab by a 2x4 room wall. Both ends of the tank are also supported with a jack post. I'm thinking it's more than sufficient. Had an engineer buddy look at it before and was told is was way overkill. He lives in England now ....

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 05/10/2017, 02:40 PM   #54
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Tank is ordered (96x36x30) and will arrive nominally end of July. It'll likely sit in the garage for a bit so I can pre fit all the plumbing and makes sure the stand is made and the floors reinforced. Went with a 36" modular marine overflow with 1 1/2" triple drain system. Sump is in the basement so I am going to take advantage of gravity an use the siphon drain to feed my ATS and standalone refugium. This will allow me to use the full capacity of my PanWold 200. I'm going to upsize the return plumbing to 1 1/2" also to squeeze as much flow from the pump as possible. Guessing I will get about 1300 gph give or take.

I've acquired a second MP60, so intank flow will be dual MP60s and a Vectra M1 running a closed loop. Still haven't tested my MP40s on 1" thick sides, so they may not work. Still undecided on whether additional lighting will be required. Probably I will setup the tank and then decide.

Last edited by ca1ore; 05/10/2017 at 02:52 PM.
Unread 05/10/2017, 02:55 PM   #55
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Yes, that was 2009's 'boredom' project. Had a buddy dig and set the foundation and I did the structure. Wife, at the time, was fed up with all my woodworking tools cluttering up the 2 bays.
So did the woodworking tools go back to the 2 bays? Because if not you're going to want a 4th garage as I know first hand how much corrosion can happen in tools, even in an adjacent room to a tank.

Unread 05/11/2017, 07:35 AM   #56
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

No tank in the garage ..... you are right, even in a well ventilated garage rusting is a problem. I have some tools, like my jointer, that doesn't get used all that much so keeping it in good shape is a challenge.

Unread 05/12/2017, 10:16 PM   #57
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Got the modular marine overflow today and I must say I'm very impressed. Impeccable workmanship.

Unread 05/17/2017, 12:58 PM   #58
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Planning Plumbing

Going to have the main MM overflow, a two-output closed loop and a single return. Began dry fitting the overflow this week. From left to right, siphon to ATS, emergency, main siphon to sump, open channel, and then siphon to refugium. Pipe to the outside of the overflow is the suction for the closed loop. Really outstanding work on the overflow. I've upsized the standpipe on the emergency to 3", although the bulkhead and subsequent plumbing is 1 1/2". Two siphons for the ATS and refugium are 1"; main siphon and open channel are 1 and 1 1/2". I've concluded with a bit of work I can get about 1,300 net gph out of my PanWorld 200, so more than enough drain capacity. The closed loop will be 1 1/2" on the input and dual 1" outputs form my Vectra/OM combo.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0445.jpg (84.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0446.jpg (84.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0447.jpg (59.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0448.jpg (60.5 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by ca1ore; 08/22/2017 at 09:38 AM.
Unread 05/17/2017, 09:56 PM   #59
Bab2150
Registered Member

Wow awesome! Had to get rid of my tank years ago but getting the itch again...who knows with this hobby...

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Bab2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2017, 09:21 PM   #60
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

It's hard to stay away. I dropped out in 2009 after almost 20 years in salt water and reef tanks. Sold off my venerable 180 and swore the whole thing off. Missed it though and as my kids got older they expressed interest. Got a 90 in 2013 ..... what was I thinking! 265 less than 6 months later. Now 400 four years on.

Funny story. When I was thinking about a 180 or a 265 in 2013, I was perusing the FS adds here on RC and found my old 180 up for sale. Not from the guy I had sold it to in 2009, but one more owner on. He was selling the tank as 5 years old - when it was actually 25 years old. He was not misrepresenting it intentionally, but caveat emptor.

Unread 05/20/2017, 09:00 AM   #61
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Had a beer with a construction buddy of mine and talked fish tanks (ba$tard made me pick up the tab ). The new tank wil be more than adequately supported in the middle and one end, but I'm a bit worried about the other end. Joists are 9" deep (not 9 1/2", curious), so his counsel was to sister/scab the beams that run parallel to the one end with either LVL or doubled up 3/4" plywood. New joist is a 12' span that sits on sills on both ends. Plus I can slip a jack post in the middle of one that won't be a eyesore.

Unread 05/20/2017, 06:58 PM   #62
Desert Sea
Registered Member

Overflow looks nice!

Does it come with lids for both sides?

Desert Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2017, 07:50 PM   #63
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Yes, one long cover for the skimmer box and three shorter ones for the external box. Lids are made of polycarbonate (at least I think that is what he said) so they won't warp.

Unread 05/20/2017, 08:33 PM   #64
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

So is this tank going to be rimless? Or is there going to be a hole knocked out of the bracing so you can clean the overflow?

I love the idea behind those small profile overflows, it's just the idea of maintaining them which makes me worry.

Unread 05/20/2017, 08:36 PM   #65
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

No, definitely eurobraced. I agree with you, so they are going to route a couple of openings in said eurobrace above the skimmer box. FWIW, Modular Marine now make their skimmer box removable.

Unread 05/20/2017, 08:45 PM   #66
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Oh do they? I remember that was one feature of the "twice and expensive" brands, was the weir was magnetically attached and you could remove it, it still would be a pain to clean if you had a eurobrace that was of any sizable thickness (I had an 8" one on a 72x60" tank!). But the whole skim box is removable? I really need to consider that as an option for my ever changing and who knows when I'll get around to actually ordering it tank

Unread 05/20/2017, 08:46 PM   #67
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Existing sump is an old Oceanic 150, so plenty big enough for the 400. Unfortunately all of the drain bulkheads on the sump are 1", not 1 1/2". So I've made an add in glass strip that will sit into the top tank rim and provide the necessary drains. Can also see two of the Apex FFM flow sensors - 2" for the main return and 1" for the siphon drain that will feed the refugium. Got a 100' roll of 1 1/2" ultraflex pvc in the garage, so I think I now have all the plumbing I am going to need. In fact, I think I have all of the equipment that I will need.

Now on to building the stand. Will also need to build a temporary stand that will match the height of the incoming truck bed. Won't need to be much as the tank will be empty.

Last edited by ca1ore; 08/22/2017 at 09:40 AM.
Unread 05/20/2017, 09:12 PM   #68
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsuphysics View Post
But the whole skim box is removable? I really need to consider that as an option for my ever changing and who knows when I'll get around to actually ordering it tank
Yeah, it's pretty slick actually.

Unread 05/21/2017, 08:09 AM   #69
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Yeah, it's pretty slick actually.
You're going to have to show that off at some point, just occurred to me how do you take off the box without also draining all the water (up to the height of the lowest pipe in your exterior box.

Unread 05/21/2017, 08:42 AM   #70
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Well, I actually ordered mine prior to them making the change. I was offered the mod, but declined it for precisely the reason you note. I do think it's a good idea, but one would have to plan extra sump capacity I'd think.

Unread 05/23/2017, 03:41 AM   #71
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Tested my MP40 on a 1" thick piece of wood and I think it will work. Transfers torque with no problems and seems to stick well enough. I'll support the dry side with a bracket of some kind. Probably won't be able to run modes like pulse though. Wonder if I can run it without the gasket?

Unread 05/23/2017, 09:31 PM   #72
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

wow that's certainly a shocker, although I wonder if the viscosity of water instead of air on the propeller might give different results. Maybe try with a small rectangular tank (or hell a rectangular pitcher full of water), then enough wood to bring it to 1" thick.

Also wonder if the makeup of glass/acrylic might damp magnetic fields different than wood?

Sorry, I'm not trying to say it'll fail or anything, just thinking outload about possibilities. Plus I've had issues on 1/2" thick glass with MP40s, but these were much older versions... and well a lot of me hating Ecotech for the magnet issues I've had and them telling me to fork over another $50 for a magnet every couple years

Unread 05/24/2017, 06:19 AM   #73
Ricardo18
Registered Member

I have 3 MP40's on 3/4" glass with no problems (in any mode).

Current Tank Info: 500 gallon display,650 system Lifereef Skimmer Ozone UV Apex Radion Genesis
Ricardo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2017, 09:43 AM   #74
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Mike, all good points. I'm going to check it in a 10 gallon this weekend with the thickness built up to 1" with some scrap acrylic that I have laying around. One thing I have been toying with is asking the tank maker to 'thin' the 1" rear down to 3/4" in two circular spots to accommodate the dry side. Cannot imagine this would affect the structural stability (particularly since they normally build this tank with 3/4" anyhow - I just asked them to use 1").

Unread 05/24/2017, 02:25 PM   #75
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

So in discussions with the tank builder, I'm going to have them route a 1/4" deep circle on the outside of the back panel where the two MP40s are going to go. It will mean I cannot subsequently move them, but that's ok. The 1/4" ledge will also provide support for the dry side.