Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/23/2015, 01:13 PM   #1
customguy79
Registered Member

Puffer question

I have a 6 inch yellow belly dog face and a 300g tank. I was curious since most say they are more peaceful than most predators what would the chance be of adding a same size blue spotted (guineafowl) at the same time to my 300 without incident?

Current Tank Info: 120g full blown sps lps reef
customguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2015, 05:05 PM   #2
moriarty
Registered Member

It would come down to the individual fish, but Arothron meleagris is one of the least likely species to play nice with other puffers, especially when they are of similar shape. What makes attempting to mix them especially problematic, is that they have the ability/dentition to do some serious damage to one another before you could intervene. I'm sure there are some examples out there of these two being kept together successfully, but they would be the exception. It's still a gamble, but IMO, you would have much better odds keeping an Arothron puffer with a Diodon spp, versus 2 Arothron, given a nice roomy tank like yours

moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2015, 09:32 AM   #3
customguy79
Registered Member

ok thanks for the help ill stick with a single one

Current Tank Info: 120g full blown sps lps reef
customguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2015, 07:21 PM   #4
dom418
Registered Member

Yeah I would not risk it.

dom418 is offline   Reply With Quote